2022 Vault Rankings
- Pro Bono#2
At a Glance
“Great work-life balance.”
“Interesting work with smart, nice people.”
“Support for D&I.”
“It's still BigLaw.”
“Hours can be long.”
Orrick is a global firm of more than 1,100 attorneys that is fiercely committed to teamwork and innovation. The firm has dozens of offices across the globe, including domestic locations in California, New York, Oregon, and Texas.
It All Began with a Break-Up
In the late 1800s, W.S. Goodfellow and his partners John J. Jarboe and Ralph C. Harrison walked away from their San Francisco firm, Jarboe, Harrison & Goodfellow. Goodfellow then teamed up with Charles Eells to form Goodfellow & Eells. The firm helped organize the Fireman’s Fund Insurance Company after San Francisco’s catastrophic earthquake and fire in 1906 and also worked on water rights matters. In 1910, William H. Orrick joined the firm, and over the years, George Herrington and Eric Sutcliffe—who became managing partner in 1947—jumped aboard too. One of the firm’s earliest successes was its involvement in the financing of the Golden Gate Bridge—a matter that set the firm’s stage for big things to come.
Not to Brag, But . . .
Today, Orrick focuses on serving clients in three sectors: technology and innovation, including life sciences; energy & infrastructure; and finance. Its practice is evenly split between transactional and litigation work. Orrick’s Tech Companies group counsels 3,000-plus startups (including companies like Pinterest, Stripe, and SoFi), guiding their clients through a successful IPO or acquisition. The team is on the cutting edge of areas like fintech, blockchain, AI, and autonomous vehicles.
The firm is particularly well known for its energy work, holding the No. 1 spot in Vault’s Clean Tech & Renewable Energy ranking and the No. 12 spot in its Energy, Oil, & Gas ranking. The firm represents the leading players in solar, wind, and other alternative energy sources globally. In the last several years, the firm has worked on more than 150 bids for new renewables projects.
Orrick also boasts one of the strongest IP teams in the country, representing many of the most successful global tech brands in headline-making cases. Among the areas the firm’s IP lawyers handle are copyright, inter partes review, IP counseling, patents, trade secrets, trademarks, and even the legal implications of 3D printing. The firm also offers one of the most active cyber, privacy, and data innovation practices.
In finance, the firm is a market leader in securitization and public finance and has strong teams in restructuring and real estate. Orrick also defends banks and funds in complex litigation.
Innovation is just another part of life at Orrick. Associates can spend up to 50 billable hours on innovation-related projects to help the firm and clients. Associates have engaged in innovation “sprints,” which incorporate principles of design thinking to challenge assumptions and brainstorm new solutions to approach an issue. Others have created tools to enhance the efficiency of delivering legal services and apps to target client needs, among other projects. It’s unsurprising that the Financial Times has named the firm the Most Innovative Firm in North America multiple times.
In 2021, we anticipate recruiting to be a mix of virtual and in-person connections. We’re 100% flexible and we’ll work with what works for you. Grit, EQ, innovation and teamplay are what we’ve always looked for—and that will be even more important in the new workplace. We want to hear how you’ve navigated the past 18 months and what you learned from it. And, please bring your questions about Orrick, how we’ve adapted, and how we see the future of law and our firm changing.
News & Awards
- Orrick counsels more than 3,000 tech companies, has helped 50 unicorns grow, and has completed dozens of IPOs, including through SPACs for companies such as Luminar, Fisker, Lilium, and Dave.
- Orrick advised on an innovative project to modernize and maintain Fresno State’s energy system—the first green bond certification for a higher education P3 project in the United States.
- The Cyber & Privacy team helps clients navigate some of the largest headline-making cyberattacks and practices on the cutting-edge of emerging data and technology issues helping AdTech clients navigate evolving privacy controls, working on AI and biometrics cases, and managing cross-border data flows and online tracking.
- In litigation, Orrick represents Sonos in multibillion-dollar patent infringement litigation against Google involving wireless speaker technology and Netflix against Fox/Disney in a case that may shape future hiring practices in Hollywood. The firm also led a federal court challenge resulting in the shutdown of a political robocall operation designed to discourage minority voting in numerous states.
- 100 Best Companies to Work For, 2021—Fortune
- #5 for Pro Bono, 2021—The American Lawyer
- Top Firms for Gender Equity & Family Friendliness, 2021—Yale Law Women
- #5 on the A-List, 2020—The American Lawyer
- Most Digital Law Firm of 2020, Runner Up Most Innovative Law Firm in North America, 2020—Financial Times
Why Work Here
Seven Stats about Orrick
1. We focus on serving the Technology & Innovation, Energy & Infrastructure and Finance sectors. Globally.
2. We give our associates the opportunity to chart your own course. It means early responsibility. World-class training. And the chance to make a social impact.
3. We were named the #1 most innovative law firm in North America in 2017 by Financial Times, for the second year in a row.
4. We’re on Fortune’s list of 100 Best Companies to Work For (#31), and we rank #4 for job satisfaction by AmLaw in 2018. In part, that’s because we don’t have a one-size-fits-all approach to how our lawyers work. Instead, we offer agile working. This includes flexible work arrangements, job sharing and remote working.
51 West 52nd Street
New York, NY 10019
Phone: (212) 506-5000
Chairman & CEO: Mitch Zuklie
Total No. Attorneys (2021):
1K - 1.5K
No. of Partners Named 2021:
All U.S. offices
Associate level 1: $205,000
Associate level 2: 215,000
Associate level 3: 240,000
Managing associate: $275,000–$330,000
Senior associate: $350,000
Summer associate: $3,894.23/week
T. Vann Pearce, Jr.
U.S. Law School Hiring Partner
U.S. Manager, Law School Relations & Diversity Recruiting
Other recruiting contacts can be found at https://www.orrick.com/Careers/Contact-Us
No. of U.S. Offices: 14
No. of International Offices: 12
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
Orange County, CA
San Francisco, CA
Santa Monica, CA
Silicon Valley, CA
Wheeling, WV | Beijing
Banking & Finance
Compensation & Benefits
Cyber & Privacy
Energy & Infrastructure
IP Licensing & Technology Transactions
Mergers & Acquisitions and Private Equity
Supreme Court & Appellate
Securities Litigation & White Collar
*See firm website for complete list of practice areas and industries.