2022 Vault Rankings
At a Glance
“The people are fabulous.”
“Support in my career.”
“High-quality and exclusive work.”
“Unpredictable hours and workflow.”
About Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
With more than 800 lawyers based in the U.S. and another 3,000 around the globe, Norton Rose Fulbright is a legal force. The firm has dozens of offices across six continents, and is particularly well known for its Energy practice.
Teaming Up to Go Global
Norton Rose Fulbright is the product of some of the last decade’s largest law firm combinations, but the legacy firms each had a long history before the recent mergers. U.K.-based Norton Rose traces its history to the late 1700s, when attorney Robert Charsley hung out his shingle in London. Over the years, the firm expanded through organic growth and combinations to become one of the 10 largest firms in the world by 2012.
Meanwhile in the United States, R.C. Fulbright founded a firm in Houston in 1919 and was joined by Leon Jaworski joined in 1931. Fulbright & Jaworski garnered a strong reputation in the energy, financial, transportation, and health care industries. Fulbright partners were instrumental in the creation of the Texas Medical Center, the largest medical center in the world.
In 2013, the two firms combined to form megafirm Norton Rose Fulbright with more than 3,000 lawyers worldwide. In 2017, Norton Rose Fulbright brought on another 300 attorneys through a merger with New York-based Chadbourne & Parke, which brought a host of experience in project finance, energy, insurance, and products liability.
Global Industry Focus
Norton Rose Fulbright serves major corporations, financial institutions, and innovative startups across the globe, with particular expertise in financial institutions; energy; infrastructure, mining and commodities; transport; technology and innovation; and life sciences and health care. Through its global risk advisory group, Norton Rose Fulbright leverages its industry experience with its knowledge of legal, regulatory, compliance, and governance issues to provide clients with practical solutions to the legal and regulatory risks facing their businesses. According to the firm, Norton Rose Fulbright operates in accordance with its global business principles of quality, unity, and integrity.
A fixture in Vault’s Top 10 for Energy, Oil, & Gas, Norton Rose Fulbright is a go-to firm for energy matters. The firm’s Energy team spans the globe and counsels clients on issues relating to oil and gas, power and utilities, renewables, and water. The team must take a multidisciplinary approach to handle its clients’ wide-ranging issues, including everything from antitrust and environmental law to IP matters and M&A to tax and contract law, to name some.
More than Billables
At Norton Rose Fulbright, life isn’t just about billables—the firm offers a host of perks, including a variety of wellness programs. When associates need a break from the stresses of lawyering, they can turn to the firm’s meditation and mindfulness programs. And for those with health on their mind, the firm offers biometric screenings, heart health resources, and on-site flu shots, as well as step challenge and healthy weight challenge.
The firm also looks out for its lawyers’ financial health, with both student loan refinancing resources and personal financial planning resources, such as mortgages, lines of credit, and capital loans.
Recruiting great talent has always been a priority at Norton Rose Fulbright. In light of the global COVID-19 pandemic, recruiting entry level talent is still remains paramount. We will be participating in the law school OCI programs and resume collects, whether they be virtual or in person. For a list of OCI schools that we attend, you can visit our website at www.nortonrosefulbright.com/us. For more information about Norton Rose Fulbright recruiting, please feel free to reach out to the local office recruiter.
News & Awards
- When the Ku Klux Klan experienced a rebirth, and Klan members even served as elected officials in Houston in the 1920s, two of the firm’s most prominent partners took on the KKK in the courtroom. John Crooker and William Bates were among the leaders of the anti-Klan forces in Houston as KKK. Fulbright worked with the forces and entities that opposed KKK vigilantism and racism.
- In the 1940s, partners John Freeman and William Bates were instrumental in the creation of the Texas Medical Center, the largest medical center in the world. Today, the Texas Medical Center is the largest medical center in the world and home to more than 50 institutions, including seven major hospitals and two medical schools.
- More than a decade before he became a household name as Watergate special prosecutor, Leon Jaworski earned $1 million in fees as the lead lawyer in a 1957 inheritance case in 1957. Beneficiary Libbie Moody Thompson received $8.5 million—the equivalent of $77 million today—in a settlement that The Houston Press reported as “the largest in a will case ever made in Texas and quite probably the United States."
- Before her term as the firm’s U.S. Managing Partner, Linda Addison served as lead counsel for Handy Dan Hardware in a 1985 trial that challenged the constitutionality of Texas Blue Laws. This case led to the repeal of these laws, making it possible for Texans to shop on Sunday.
- Norton Rose Fulbright led all law firms with 18 ranked lawyers in global-wide practice rankings; in the top 10 for total number of global-wide practice rankings, practice rankings across all categories, and lawyers ranked overall, 2021—Chambers Global
- Ranked No. 7 on “Global 100” list by global lawyer headcount, 2021—The American Lawyer
- Ranked No 7 among global legal brands, 2021—Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index
- Gold Standard law firm for the sixth time, 2021—WILEF
- Perfect score on the Corporate Equality Index recognizing LGBTQ workplace equality, sixth consecutive year, 2021—Human Rights Campaign
1301 McKinney St.
Houston, TX 77010-3095
Phone: (713) 651-5151
Global Chief Executive: Gerry Pecht
U.S. Managing Partner: Jeff Cody
U.S. Hiring Partner: Judi Archer
Total No. Attorneys 2021:
3.5K - 4K
No. of Partners Named 2021:
1,800 (Depending on which office associates are in, the minimum billable hour expectation is 1,800)
California; New York; Texas; Washington, DC:
1st year: $202,500
Summer associate: $3894/week
Director of Legal Recruiting
No. of U.S. Offices: 11
No. of International Offices: 43
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
San Antonio, TX
San Francisco, CA
St. Louis, MO
+43 international offices
Antitrust and Competition
Banking and Finance
Corporate, M&A and Securities
Dispute Resolution and Litigation
Employment and Labor
Financial Restructuring and Insolvency
Regulations and Investigations
*See firm website for complete list of practice areas and industries.