You’re entering the legal profession at a time of tremendous change. At Nixon Peabody, we’re focused on the future.
By tapping the collective intelligence and diverse perspectives of our attorneys and staff, we create innovative solutions and winning strategies, make valuable connections, and anticipate challenges and emerging opportunities for clients. We’re driven by a forward-thinking culture that follows key trends, and we help shape evolving legislation affecting our clients’ industries.
So what does that mean for you?
We pride ourselves on developing our associates into confident, experienced attorneys. For attorneys considering a career at Nixon Peabody, our collegial, collaborative culture and proactive client service structure means regular attention and involvement from partners and other professionals throughout the firm.
Personal development: Build proficiency and knowledge at every stage of your career by participating in our engaging training programs.
- Summer associates learn about different practice areas and industries, and attend programs that provide a foundation for their professional practice.
- First-year associates learn skills to assist in the transition from law school to professional practice.
- Second-, third- and fourth-year associates continue their personal development through best-in-class programs in areas such as litigation, business and finance, corporate transactions and real estate.
Business development skills: Associates don’t take a back seat in developing relationships with influencers and potential clients at Nixon Peabody. As a junior associate, you’ll dive right in with real business development activities and training, helping you build a network that will evolve and last your entire career.
Exposure to multiple areas of law: Because Nixon Peabody is a national firm supporting clients in a variety of sectors, you’ll have client work spanning multiple practice areas, giving you real-life experience to service clients and develop the confidence and clarity to pursue the specific areas of law that interest you most.
Mentoring: Mentoring is critical to turning promising associates into productive, successful attorneys, and it is a key value of our culture. You’ll be connected with people to answer all your questions—no matter how small—and receive ongoing assistance and real-time feedback from colleagues and other informal mentors.
Pride and investment in our people
Nixon Peabody takes great pride in developing our attorneys throughout their careers, whether they join us as summer associates or first-year attorneys or down the line as lateral hires.
As a junior associate at Nixon Peabody, you’ll experience:
- Hands-on exposure to cross-practice and cross-office client matters
- Formal and informal mentoring in a supportive, inclusive team environment
- Direct feedback from mentors and colleagues who assign the work
- Creative team exercises that encourage forward thinking about law as a business
- Exposure to billable client work and pro bono projects
- Training in practical business skills, ranging from setting goals and building personal networks to writing and time management
- Collaboration with attorneys in other offices and practice areas
- Introductions to attorneys across the firm who may not be formal mentors
- Structured and unstructured time to get to know the firm and clients
- Support from associates who are close to you in experience level who can offer perspectives from different areas of practice
Nixon Peabody has long maintained an exciting and flexible summer associates program. Through social events like lunches, sporting events, dinners and happy hours, your mentors and colleagues take the time to get to know you as a person, not just as a lawyer.
We are NP: An inclusive, supportive culture
The firm’s Diversity + Inclusion program is inspired by our guiding principles and brand, and reflects the many perspectives and experiences shape our business. We know that tapping into the full talents and uniqueness of our people helps Nixon Peabody create the best culture and legal strategies in the face of constantly changing social, political, and economic influences.
The firm is recognized regularly for its inclusiveness. For the past 13 years, Nixon Peabody received a 100% rating from the Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index, keeping the firm listed as one of their “Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality.”
Commitment to the duty of pro bono service
From representing international refugees fleeing persecution to helping low-income entrepreneurs launch a business, Nixon Peabody develops community-minded lawyers of the future by getting all of our summer associates involved in pro bono projects. As a signatory to the Pro Bono Institute’s Law Firm Pro Bono Challenge©, Nixon Peabody commits to spending more than 3% of our time on pro bono. We give billable credit for pro bono work and recognize our lawyers’ achievements through an awards program and during evaluations. Time giving back is time well spent.
Recognized as a “pioneer in sustainability . . . the law firm benchmark for effective strategy and execution,” Nixon Peabody takes a holistic approach to sustainability. We provide integrated services across legal, scientific, and engineering disciplines to help our clients deliver sustainable technologies, products and solutions. Sustainability is emphasized throughout our firm, in all offices, as we seek to reduce our environmental impact and strive to be good corporate citizens, collaborating on innovative solutions to social and environmental challenges.