At a Glance
“Colleagues and culture.”
“The type of work.”
About Nixon Peabody LLP
Nixon Peabody is home to nearly 600 lawyers across 16 offices worldwide. The firm’s practices include litigation, real estate, corporate law, intellectual property, and finance.
Nixon Peabody is one of Boston’s preeminent firms—and ranked among Vault’s top 20 Boston firms. Though its predecessor firms go back as far as 1854, Nixon Peabody is the result of the 1999 merger of Rochester firm Nixon, Hargrave, Devans & Doyle LLP and Beantown local Peabody Brown. Not one to dwell on the past, Nixon Peabody tries to look towards the future—Aaron Yowell represents the firm as its chief innovation officer, and his efforts have included tech and sustainability strides. He is focusing his work on client relationships, data analysis, legal tech transformation, and an attorney-led Innovation Panel that is marshalling the creativity of the larger Nixon Peabody team.
From Billables to Podcasts
Nixon Peabody is recognized for its leadership in affordable housing and real estate, intellectual property, energy and environment, health care, tax, public finance, M&A, private equity, and complex commercial disputes. The firm also focuses on emerging areas like autonomous vehicles; big data; blockchain; photonics; and power plant decommissioning, demotion, and remediation—among others. Nixon Peabody’s clients include JetBlue; Gannet Co, Inc.; Brown University; the Thyssen-Bornemisza Collection Foundation; and Constellation Brands.
The firm has a robust Health Care practice that takes a multi-disciplinary approach. Its clients include digital health companies, home health facilities, hospitals and medical centers, medical device companies, nursing homes, pharmaceutical companies, private equity firms, rehabilitation facilities, and many more.
Nixon Peabody is big on communication—and engaging. In addition to its five blogs, covering topics from affordable housing to the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, Nixon Peabody is also active on social media and has its own podcast: To Live and Law in LA, where firm attorneys chat with guests about trends and laws that affect the Los Angeles community.
All are Welcome
Diversity and Inclusion is a major priority at Nixon Peabody. In 2020, Nixon Peabody became one of five BigLaw firms to join Move the Needle Fund—an “experimental laboratory” with five founding law firms that will take innovative measures to reach aggressive diversity goals. Nixon Peabody is also a three-time recipient of the Mansfield Rule certification. And for 14 consecutive years, Nixon Peabody has scored 100 percent on the Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index—a national benchmarking tool for corporate policies and practices related to LGBT employees.
News & Awards
- Boston Beer Company in its acquisition of Dogfish Head Brewery for $300M. The transaction combines two award-winning craft beer pioneers.
- The Regents of the University of California in a patent enforcement campaign to protect its rights involving innovative light bulb technology a/k/a filament LED.
- Counsel for 26 hospitals in multiple actions and appeals enjoining CMS from implementing unlawful changes to Medicaid reimbursements; negotiated settlement provides $1.7B in reimbursements over seven years.
- California Municipal Finance Authority’s $1.2B financing for the LAX Automated People Mover Project, receiving Bond Buyer’s 2018 “Far West Deal of the Year.”
- 14 Nixon Peabody attorneys named “Lawyers of the Year,” 34 named “Ones to Watch,” 2021—The Best Lawyers in America©
- Consumer, Retail, Food & Beverage Law Firm of the Year; Consumer, Retail, Food & Beverage Deal of the Year, 2020—The Deal
- 54 Nixon Peabody attorneys named as leaders in their field, 2020—Chambers USA
- 100% rating on Corporate Equality Index, 2020—Human Rights Campaign
- Tier 1 National ‘Best Law Firm’ in 17 practice areas, 2020—U.S. News – Best Lawyers®
53 State Street
Boston, MA 02109
Phone: (617) 345-1000
CEO & Managing Parter: Andrew I. Glincher
Hiring Partner: Stacie Collier
Total No. Attorneys (2021):
500 - 750
No. of Partners Named 2020:
Metro Market Offices
1st year: $180,000
2nd year: $185,000
3rd year: $190,000
4th year: Performance-based with top tier for existing associates at $215,000
5th year: Performance-based with top tier for existing associates at $235,000
6th year: Performance-based with top tier for existing associates at $250,000
7th year: Performance-based with top tier for existing associates at $260,000
Summer Associate: $3,460/week
Senior Director of Lateral Recruiting
No. of U.S. Offices: 12
No. of International Offices: 5
Long Island, NY
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
San Francisco, CA
Community Development Finance
Corporate & Finance
Government Investigations & White Collar Defense
Government Relations & Regulatory
Labor & Employment
Private Clients, Estate, Trust & Financial Planning
Real Estate & Community Development
*See firm website for complete list of practice areas and industries.