2022 Vault Rankings
- Health Care#11
At a Glance
“Impressive firm leadership.”
“Everyone I work with values being on a team and shares responsibilities equally.”
“Significant substantive legal work early on.”
“Sometimes deadlines can cause work hours to be long and tiring.”
A Boston institution since 1933, Mintz is now a national powerhouse, claiming such blue chippers as Biogen and General Electric as clients. Bay State pedigree notwithstanding, Mintz’s growth has been centered in the financial markets in New York, regulatory circles in DC, and IP-rich tech and biotech hubs of San Diego and San Francisco.
From Coast to Coast
Founded more than 85 years ago, Mintz has grown from its New England roots. The firm initially focused on real estate and the banking industry, with an interesting early niche of representing theaters and motion picture chains, but it has expanded into nearly every conceivable practice area. The firm has grown geographically as well and now has strongholds on both coasts and a branch in London. Mintz focused its growth on California, DC, and New York—all of which have grown steadily since the mid-2000s and bolstered the firm’s transactional and litigation practices. Despite the growth, however, Boston remains home to more than half of the firm’s associates.
More than Meets the Eye
Mintz is nationally recognized for its Health Care, Life Sciences, and Technology practices, counseling clients across a range of industries. The firm is also home to lobbying subsidiary ML Strategies, which opened for business in the mid-1990s. ML Strategies offers consulting services on everything from real estate to energy to transportation. The firm also hosts MintzEDGE, a startup accelerator focused on helping new businesses get off the ground, offering consulting and legal services to entrepreneurs in order to navigate the often-overwhelming process or starting a business.
Mintz is serious about public service. According to the firm, “For our founders, helping people in need and providing a welcoming and inclusive environment for all was essential.” Mintz provides pro bono counsel to more than 300 clients each year. The firm also has a pro bono partner who oversees the pro bono program and provides training and guidance to associates. One of the firm’s self-proclaimed drivers is addressing the disparity and long-term barriers to equity within the legal profession and the world. Mintz has received awards from local and national groups alike and works on a wide range of issues, including domestic violence and sexual assault, political asylum and immigration, affordable housing and homelessness, human rights, nonprofit incorporation assistance, post-Hurricane Katrina legal assistance, children’s health, environmental protection, and civil rights.
In light of the coronavirus pandemic, we are seeking out new and unique ways to engage with law students virtually. We have offered several virtual information sessions to introduce students to our attorneys and life at Mintz. We have also had our entry-level hiring teams engage in a two-part Interviewer Training to hone interview techniques and learn to mitigate unconscious bias in the interview process.
News & Awards
- Mintz represented Biogen in its IPO in 1983, making it the first biotechnology company in the United States to go public.
- Mintz secured a dismissal and complete victory for international casino operator Wynn Group in a $3 billion RICO case.
- Mintz represented Viela Bio, Inc. (Nasdaq: VIE) in its $3.05 billion sale to Horizon Therapeutics plc (Nasdaq: HZNP). The firm previously represented Viela Bio in its roughly $150 million IPO of common stock and its $169 million public offering of common stock.
- Mintz represented Advanced Micro Devices as complainant at the International Trade Commission against global manufacturers. One party settled favorably, and following the evidentiary hearing (trial), the Commission found violation of Section 337 and issued exclusion orders and cease and desist orders against the remaining respondents.
- AmLaw Top 100, 2021—The American Lawyer
- Top Tier Powerhouse, 2020—BTI Consulting
- 69 attorneys and 19 practices ranked, 2021—Chambers USA
- Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality, 2021—Human Rights Campaign
- Gold Standard Certification, 2020—Women in Law Empowerment Forum
One Financial Center
Boston, MA 02111
Phone: (617) 542-6000
Managing Partner: Robert I. Bodian
Hiring Partners: Matthew Tikonoff, Thomas Wintner, and Alec Zadec
Total No. Attorneys 2021:
500 - 750
No. of Partners Named 2021:
Class of 2021: $202,500
Class of 2020: $205,000
Class of 2019: $215,000
Class of 2018: $240,000
Class of 2017: $275,000
Class of 2016: $305,000
Class of 2015: $330,000
Class of 2014: $350,000
Class of 2013: $365,000
Summer Associate: $3,894.23/week (anticipated Summer 2022)
Law Students & Lateral Associates:
Legal Recruiting Manager
General Recruiting email: LegalRecruitingDepartment@mintz.com
No. of U.S. Offices: 7
No. of International Offices: 1
Boston, MA (HQ)
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
San Diego, CA
San Francisco, CA
Washington, DC I London
Antitrust & Federal Regulation
Bankruptcy, Restructuring & Commercial Law
Employment, Labor & Benefits
*See firm website for complete list of practice areas and industries.