When you join McDermott, you become part of a purpose-built, tightly woven network of legal trailblazers who marry global business insights with a deep, focused understanding of the law. Delivering highly effective, often unexpected solutions that propel success, we bring our personal passion and legal prowess to bear in every matter for our clients in 20 locations worldwide.
Our mission is to propel the success of the world’s most respected, dynamic and important organizations. Together, we fuel missions, knock down barriers and shape markets.
- Our clients come first. Their goals are our goals. We win by understanding their business, investing in their success and putting their interests ahead of our own.
- The best relationships are built on honest communication, radical transparency and a healthy dose of fun.
- We love the good that our work creates. We dedicate our time, energies and talents to improving our Firm and our communities.
- We celebrate success, but aspire to be “Always Better.”
Growing Your Skills and Career
Our approach to career progression and professional development encompasses integrated on-boarding, training, career advising, evaluation and advancement system built on transparent Firm-wide and practice group-specific competencies.
All of our new lawyer hires receive immediate support form integration advisors, a dedicated individual mentor and the group mentoring cohort program.
Group Mentoring Cohort Program
In addition to one-on-one mentoring, we offer all incoming associates mentoring in a collaborative and collegial group setting. Each cohort includes two to three partners and five to 10 associates from different practice groups. Cohorts meet five times throughout the year.
- Junior associate cohorts discuss practice groups, Firm citizenship and career goals, along with wellness topics as part of the Firm’s health living initiative.
- Mid-level and senior associate cohorts delve into cross-selling, business development and networking skills.
- Top 10 Firm for Formal Training and 17th for Informal Training, Mentoring & Sponsorship – Vault Law 2019 Quality of Life Associate Survey
Summer Associate Program
Our 10-week summer program offers a realistic introduction to the practice of law and day-to-day life as a McDermott associate.
- The 1L Diversity Fellowship and 1L Leadership Council on Legal Diversity Scholars Program reserves dedicated spots in our program for diverse first-year law students.
- Summer associates have access to the exclusive McDermott Academy, including mock negotiation and writing workshops.
- Each associate is assigned a partner mentor to provide full-spectrum feedback and coaching.
- All associates will receive hands-on experience and guidance in their practice area of interest.
- The program offers a variety of experiential learning opportunities, including court appearances, client meetings, legislative hearings, depositions, witness interviews and bar association events.
- Our Summer Associate Retreat provides practical information about what it means to be a McDermott lawyer, a forum for professional development and a deeper understanding of the Firm’s strategic vision.
Going Above and Beyond for Our Clients, Our People and the Communities We Serve
From committing to diversity in our hiring practices and embracing Firm-wide pro bono goals, to providing time for mindfulness and sponsoring days of service in our communities around the world, we know that our best work isn’t limited to just the boardroom or the courtroom.
- 80% of lawyers dedicated time to pro bono service
- 1000+ pro bono matters handled globally
- 50+ countries supported through pro bono partnership
- 180 organizations supported through philanthropy
Diversity & Inclusion
Our Firm-wide Diversity & Inclusion Committee and its three dedicated subcommittees work at the highest levels of the Firm management to inspire a culture of belonging—one in which all of our colleagues can thrive.
Our industry-leading policies and programs ensure equal access to client development activities, challenging work assignments and viable advancement options for all McDermott lawyers. We are very proud that our team is deeply committed to extending this ethos of inclusion not only across the Firm, but throughout the broader legal profession and in the communities we serve.
Here are some of our recent accomplishments.
- Best Law Firms for Minority Attorneys – Law360
- 4 Consecutive years on Working Mother’s Best Law Firms for Women
- Top 10 Female and Family-Friendly Firm by Yale Law Women
- 100% on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s Corporate Equality Index – Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality for 14 consecutive years
- Mansfield-Certified Firm – Maintains a bar of at least 30% diverse candidates for leadership positions