2021 Vault Rankings
At a Glance
“The people and culture.”
“The type of work.”
“Partner/associate relationships are very positive here.”
“Compensation is below market.”
“General BigLaw pressure.”
About Locke Lord LLP
Locke Lord is a full-service, international law firm of 21 offices and about 650 attorneys with offices across the U.S., as well as in Brussels, Hong Kong, and London. Locke Lord has received numerous industry recognitions as a global leader in the middle-market sector.
A History of Mergers
Locke Lord can trace its roots to the founding of three firms in a seven-year period in the late 1800s in Boston, Dallas, and Providence. A couple of decades later, John Lord would open a firm in Chicago in 1914 and another predecessor firm would open in Houston in 1916. Nearly a century later, these predecessor firms began combining, beginning with the Dallas and Houston firms merging in 1999 to form Locke Liddell & Sapp, in what was the largest law firm merger in U.S. history to that point. Sixteen years and five mergers later, the modern Locke Lord emerged in 2015.
All the Way to the Bank
Locke Lord advises clients across a broad spectrum of industries including energy; financial services; fund formation; health care; insurance and reinsurance; private equity and venture capital; public finance; real estate; and technology, media, and telecommunications, while providing a wealth of experience through its complex litigation, intellectual property, tax, regulatory, and transactional teams. Locke Lord’s clients range from Fortune 500 and middle-market public and private companies to startups and emerging businesses. Some key clients include Wells Fargo, Johnson & Johnson, and Deutsche Bank AG, among others. The firm is most noted, however, for its work in the middle market.
Diversity is a Key to Success
Locke Lord has a history of successfully placing women in powerful places. Harriet Miers was the firm’s first female managing partner, leading the firm from 1996 until 2001, when she joined the George W. Bush Administration. Miers served as Staff Secretary, Deputy Chief of Staff for Policy, and Counsel to the President before returning to the firm in 2007, where she continues to practice. There are three women on the firm’s executive committee, including Jennifer Kennedy, one of three vice chairs of the firm. Female attorneys manage five of Locke Lord’s offices, and Paulette Brown—a senior partner and Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer based in Locke Lord’s Princeton office—is past president of the American Bar Association and was the first woman of color and third African-American to serve as president of the ABA.
Locke Lord’s groups and committees help promote a firmwide philosophy of inclusion and action, helping raise scholarship money for minority and economically disadvantaged students, hosting holiday parties for lower-income children, donating to local food banks and charitable organizations, and supporting longtime firm programs like flexible work arrangements, domestic partner benefits, and the women’s initiative.
News & Awards
Locke Lord developed the Adapt. Adjust. Advance. Resource Center in order to assist clients in planning for their recovery and rebuilding in a post-pandemic world.
Locke Lord recognizes that although it has made great strides, the firm can and must do better in improving the representation of diverse professionals at the firm and in its leadership, and in maintaining a diverse and inclusive workplace that is free from racial discrimination and injustice. Locke Lord’s message on racial equality and justice outlines specific and immediate actions that the firm is taking to further realize its core value of diversity and inclusion, both within the firm and in its communities.
Locke Lord earned the ISO/IEC 27701:2019 certification for its Privacy Information Management System. Locke Lord is among a select group of law firms to achieve this certification, an international standard introduced in 2019 that defines a framework of policies, processes and controls to safeguard the privacy rights of individuals. ISO/IEC 27701:2019 is the latest ISO certification achieved by the Firm. In prior years, it attained ISO/IEC 27001:2013, a prerequisite for the new ISO privacy certification.
Locke Lord mobilized across disciplines to create a COVID-19 Task Force and Resource Center that provides a coordinated response to clients’ range of needs amid the pandemic. The Resource Center is updated daily and includes an FAQ section covering a host of issues as well as links to QuickStudies. BTI Consulting Group named Locke Lord as one of the law firms that corporate counsel have said are “winning in the COVID-19 world,” or that have really stepped it up, jumped in and truly committed as the pandemic redefined top legal decision makers’ objectives.
- Among representation for Henry Schein before the U.S. Supreme Court in unanimously vacated Fifth Circuit decision that affirmed the trial court’s denial of Henry Schein’s motion to move to arbitration.
- Represented WellCare as national insurance and health care regulatory counsel in its $17.3 billion merger with Centene.
- Advised NextEra Energy Partners in its $1.37 billion acquisition of Meade Pipeline Co, and its interest in the Central Penn Line.
- Served as bond counsel to the Solid Waste Authority of Palm Beach County on its novel $348 million crossover refunding through an issuance of Series 2019 Bonds.
- Earned a 100 percent rating and “Employer of Choice” for LGBTQ employees distinction in the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s 2020 Corporate Equality Index for the fourth consecutive year, and Locke Lord predecessor firm Edwards Wildman earned a 100 percent rating for seven consecutive years from 2009-2015.
- Ranked No. 76 in 2020 AmLaw 100 list.
- Chambers USA ranked 57 Locke Lord lawyers and 18 of the Firm's practice areas in its 2020 edition. Ten of the Firm's lawyers achieved Band 1 rankings in their respective practice areas, and the Firm's Energy: Oil & Gas (Transactional) practice earned a national distinction. Chambers UK 2020 named three Locke Lord lawyers as leading practitioners in their respective practice areas and recognized Locke Lord’s UK Consumer Finance practice.
- Energy & Industrials Law Firm of the Year, 2020 – The Deal
- Insurance Practice Group of the Year, 2019 – Law360
2200 Ross Avenue
Dallas, TX 75201
Phone: (214) 740-8000
Chair: David Taylor
Hiring Partners: Janis Loegering (Firmwide); Tammy Woffenden (Austin); Matt McTygue (Boston); Carolyn Blessing (Chicago); Kim Williams and Joe Unis (Dallas); Ted Augustinos (Hartford); John Arnold and Sara Longtain (Houston); Nina Huerta (LA); Gregory Casamento (NY); Lori Basilico (Providence)
Total No. Attorneys 2020:
500 - 750
No. of Partners Named 2020:
1st year: $180,000
Summer Associate: $3,461.50/week Small Market
1st year: $155,000
Summer associate: $2,980/week
Manager of Lateral Recruitment
Manages attorney recruitment for the firm.
Manager of Law Student Recruiting
Manages law school recruiting for the firm.
See firm website for more information.
No. of U.S. Offices: 18
No. of International Offices: 3
Los Angeles, CA
New Orleans, LA
New York, NY
San Francisco, CA
West Palm Beach, FL | Brussels
Corporate and Transactional
Finance, Banking, & Real Estate
*See firm website for complete list of practice areas and industries.