2022 Vault Rankings
At a Glance
“Relaxed BigLaw vibe.”
“Interesting work and sophisticated clients.”
“Not unique to my firm, but general BigLaw stress, pressure, and anxiety.”
“Being ‘on call’ 24/7.”
“The unpredictability of the hours."
About Locke Lord LLP
Locke Lord is a full-service, international law firm of 20 offices and about 650 attorneys in locations across the U.S., as well as in Brussels and London. Locke Lord has received numerous industry recognitions as a global leader in the middle-market sector.
A History of Mergers
Locke Lord can trace its roots to the founding of three firms in a seven-year period in the late 1800s in Boston, Dallas, and Providence. A couple of decades later, John Lord would open a firm in Chicago in 1914 and another predecessor firm would open in Houston in 1916. Nearly a century later, these predecessor firms began combining, beginning with the Dallas and Houston firms merging in 1999 to form Locke Liddell & Sapp, in what was the largest law firm merger in U.S. history to that point. Sixteen years and five mergers later, the modern Locke Lord emerged in 2015.
All the Way to the Bank
Locke Lord advises clients across a broad spectrum of industries including energy; financial services; fund formation; health care; insurance and reinsurance; private equity and venture capital; public finance; real estate; and technology, media, and telecommunications, while providing a wealth of experience through its complex litigation, intellectual property, tax, regulatory, and transactional teams. Locke Lord’s clients range from Fortune 500 and middle-market public and private companies to startups and emerging businesses. Some key clients include Wells Fargo, Johnson & Johnson, and Deutsche Bank AG, among others. The firm is most noted, however, for its work in the middle market.
Diversity is a Key to Success
Locke Lord has a history of successfully placing women in powerful places. Harriet Miers was the firm’s first female managing partner, leading the firm from 1996 until 2001, when she joined the George W. Bush Administration. Miers served as Staff Secretary, Deputy Chief of Staff for Policy, and Counsel to the President before returning to the firm in 2007, where she continues to practice. There are four women on the firm’s Executive Committee, including Jennifer Kenedy, one of three vice chairs of the firm. Female attorneys manage six of Locke Lord’s offices, and Paulette Brown—a senior partner and Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer based in Locke Lord’s Princeton office—is past president of the American Bar Association and was the first woman of color and third African American to serve as president of the ABA.
Locke Lord’s groups and committees help promote a firmwide philosophy of inclusion and action, helping raise scholarship money for minority and economically disadvantaged students, hosting holiday parties for lower-income children, donating to local food banks and charitable organizations, and supporting longtime firm programs like flexible work arrangements, domestic partner benefits, and the women’s initiative.
News & Awards
- In a ruling that had industry-wide significance, Locke Lord obtained a judgment in favor of Freddie Mac before the Texas Supreme Court in Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation v. Zepeda, which preserved equitable subrogation for Texas home-equity loans.
- Represented WellCare as national insurance and health care regulatory counsel in its $17.3 billion merger with Centene.
- Advised Comstock Resources in the $2.2 billion acquisition of Covey Park Energy, including the assumption of its outstanding debt and the retirement of existing preferred units for $1.1 billion. As part of the transaction, Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones invested $475 million in Comstock in exchange for 50,000,000 newly issued shares of Comstock common and $175 million of newly issued shares of Comstock convertible preferred stock.
- Obtained a trial court decision in favor of Zydus Pharmaceuticals (USA) in Biogen Int’l GmbH, et al. v. Amneal Pharms LLC, et al., a patent dispute relating to Tecfidera® for treatment of relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis. The court found asserted claims 1- 4, 6, 8-13 and 15-16 of U.S. Patent No. 8,399,514 invalid for lack of written description support under the principles of collateral estoppel based on a ruling of invalidity in the Northern District of West Virginia.
- Mansfield 3.0 Certification, 2020—Diversity Lab
- Earned a 100 percent rating and “Employer of Choice” for LGBTQ employees distinction in Corporate Equality Index for the fifth consecutive year (and Locke Lord predecessor firm Edwards Wildman earned a 100 percent rating for seven consecutive years from 2009-2015), 2021—Human Rights Campaign
- Ranked No. 83, 2021—AmLaw 100 List
- 63 lawyers and 24 practice areas ranked; 10 lawyers achieved Band 1 rankings in their respective practice areas, and the Energy: Oil & Gas (Transactional) practice earned a national distinction. Two UK lawyers were named as leading practitioners in their respective practice areas; UK Consumer Finance practice recognized, 2021—Chambers USA and Chambers UK
- Energy & Industrials Law Firm of the Year, 2020—The Deal
2200 Ross Avenue
Dallas, TX 75201
Phone: (214) 740-8000
Chair: David Taylor
Hiring Partners: Janis Loegering (Firmwide); Tammy Woffenden (Austin); Matt McTygue (Boston); Carolyn Blessing (Chicago); Will Becker and Scott Jones (Dallas); Ted Augustinos (Hartford); John Arnold and Sara Longtain (Houston); Nina Huerta (LA); Gregory Casamento (NY); Lori Basilico (Providence)
Total No. Attorneys (2021):
500 - 750
No. of Partners Named 2021:
1st year: $202,500
Summer associate: $3,461.50/week (will be $3,894.23 for 2022) Small Market:
1st year: $177,500 as of July 1, 2021
Summer associate: $2,980/week (will be $3,413.46 for 2022)
Manager of Lateral Recruitment
(Manages attorney recruitment for the firm.)
Manager of Law Student Recruiting
(Manages law school recruiting for the firm.)
See firm website for more information.
No. of U.S. Offices: 18
No. of International Offices: 2
Los Angeles, CA
New Orleans, LA
New York, NY
San Francisco, CA
West Palm Beach, FL I Brussels
Corporate and Transactional
Finance, Banking, & Real Estate
*See firm website for complete list of practice areas and industries.