2022 Vault Rankings
At a Glance
“Support for work-life realities.”
“Respect my colleagues have for each other.”
“Sophisticated work and clients.”
“The large ebbs and flows of work.”
“Long and sometimes unpredictable hours.”
“Lack of transparency.”
About K&L Gates LLP
K&L Gates is one of the largest law firms in the world, with close to 2,000 lawyers across five continents. Among the firm’s top-notch practices are corporate; energy and infrastructure; finance; intellectual property; labor, employment, and workplace safety; litigation and dispute resolution; policy and regulatory; real estate; and asset management and investment funds.
The new millennium saw a flurry of mergers, which formed the firm we now call K&L Gates. In January 2007, Seattle’s Preston Gates & Ellis got hitched to Kirkpatrick & Lockhart Nicholson Graham (itself the product of one of the largest U.S.-U.K. mergers in legal history: the 2005 pairing of Pittsburgh-based Kirkpatrick & Lockhart and London’s Nicholson Graham & Jones). A year later, the reshaped firm merged with Texas-based Hughes & Luce, increasing K&L Gates’ presence in the Lone Star State. In July 2008, the firm combined with Kennedy Covington Lobdell & Hickman, a household name in Carolina legal circles; the merger gave K&L Gates a significant presence throughout the Carolinas. The addition of Chicago firm Bell, Boyd & Lloyd’s 250 lawyers and lobbyists in March 2009 bolstered K&L Gates’ ranks in Chicago and DC. In 2016, K&L Gates merged with Australian firm Middletons, giving the firm a presence in the land down under.
K&L Gates takes a full-service approach to its work, with clients across many industries. Unlike some big firms that rely on a few key clients for the bulk of their billings, K&L Gates’ policy of diversification means that its revenues are spread widely across many clients. Among its reputable practices, K&L Gates boasts an impressive renewable energy practice. The firm’s clients work across solar, wind, biomass, hydropower, geothermal, and other sectors. And the firm pulls in its experience across industries to provide counsel on everything from acquisitions, financing, IP, licensing, regulatory matters, tax, and much more.
The firm is home to a large corporate practice—in fact, its M&A practice has 500 lawyers alone. Among the firm’s corporate clients are those from the Global 500, Fortune 100, and FTSE 100, as well as startups, investment funds, and individuals. The firm’s corporate lawyers work across myriad industries, such as energy, financial services, health care, infrastructure, life sciences, manufacturing, technology, telecommunications, and transportation.
The Best Place
K&L Gates is dedicated to pro bono: In 2020, the firm devoted more than 46,000 hours to pro bono matters. This included the work done through firmwide initiatives including K&L Gates for Equal Justice, which focuses on voting rights, criminal justice reform, and justice for indigenous people; the Cyber Civil Rights Legal Project, which assists victims of nonconsensual pornography; and Anti-Human Trafficking Initiative, which aims to help victims of human trafficking. The firm also partners with dozens of community organizations, and on an individual basis, lawyers and staff are encouraged to volunteer and provide services within their own communities.
K&L Gates remains focused on recruiting top talent despite the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
In 2021, we shifted our summer associate program to be held virtually for the first two weeks for all summer associates and then offered a hybrid program depending on the COVID return-to-office status in the 16 participating offices. We have conducted events and programming in person where possible; we also have been conducting student events and engagement opportunities virtually, including hosting virtual coffee chats and informational interviews, conducting web-based educational programming with schools, and participating in online career fairs and interview programs.
During this time, we have conducted numerous lateral partner and associate interviews using video technology and are able to successfully onboard and go through the orientation process virtually.
News & Awards
- Advised Sinch AB on its $1.14 billion acquisition of Inteliquent, the largest independent voice communications provider in the United States. A global leader in cloud-based communications for mobile customer engagement, Sinch is headquartered in Stockholm, Sweden, and has a presence in more than 40 countries.
- Advised digital brands portfolio Red Ventures in a definitive agreement to acquire CNET Media Group from ViacomCBS for $500 million. Formed in 2000, Red Ventures includes 100+ digital brands with more than 3,000 employees across 10 cities on three continents.
- Advised Central Bank of Ecuador in an ongoing effort to recover hundreds of millions of dollars lost through the 1996 failure of one of Ecuador’s largest banks.
- Represented Carnegie Mellon University in its long-standing patent infringement suit against chipmaker Marvell Technology Group Ltd. and Marvell Semiconductor Inc. that culminated in a $750 million settlement for CMU.
- Law Firm of the Year, 2020—Litera’s The Changing Lawyer Awards
- Law Firm of the Year: Litigation - Environmental, 2020—U.S. News – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms”
- 41 practice rankings, 11 nationwide rankings, and 100 lawyers recognized, 2021—Chambers USA
- Corporate Equality Index “Top Law Firm for Equality,” 2021—Human Rights Campaign
- Among top 20 strongest U.S. law firm brands (tenth consecutive year), 2021—Acritas’ U.S. Law Firm Brand Index
K&L Gates Center
210 Sixth Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222-2613
Phone: (412) 355-6500
Chairman of Management Committee: Michael S. Caccese
Global Managing Partner: James R. Segerdahl
Co-United States Managing Partners: Pallavi Mehta Wahi and Thomas J. Smith
Total No. Attorneys (2021):
1.5K - 2K
No. of Partners Named 2021:
1st year: $140,000-$205,000, depending on the location.
Summer Associate: Average is $3,270/week or $2,788-$3,462 per week depending on the location.
Amy J. Horn
Chief People Officer
No. of U.S. Offices: 24
No. of International Offices: 22
Fort Worth, TX
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
Orange County, CA
Palo Alto, CA
Research Triangle Park, NC
San Francisco, CA
Antitrust, Competition and Trade Regulation
Asset Management & Investment Funds
Consumer Financial Services
Environment, Land and Natural Resources
Government Contracts and Procurement Policy
Heath Care and FDA
Infrastructure & Resources
IP Procurement and Portfolio Management
Investigations, Enforcement and White Collar
Labor, Employment and Workplace Safety
Litigation & Dispute Resolution
Public Policy and Law
Restructuring and Insolvency
Technology Transactions and Data Protection
*See firm website for complete list of practice areas and industries.