2022 Vault Rankings
At a Glance
“Great professional opportunities at a young stage of your career.”
“Amazing lawyers, interesting cases, engaging work.”
“The compensation is excellent.”
“No formal training.’
“Work-life balance is very difficult.”
About Kellogg, Hansen, Todd, Figel & Frederick P.L.L.C.
Washington, DC-based Kellogg, Hansen, Todd, Figel & Frederick is a firm that thrives on litigating complex cases in the trial and appellate world, including cases that bring its attorneys to the highest court in the land.
A Trial & Appellate Litigation Firm is Born
A relatively young firm, Kellogg Hansen was formed in 1993 when three BigLaw partners jumped ship to form their own small firm focused on trial and appellate litigation. Since then, the firm has grown to house more than 90 attorneys, all trial and appellate specialists. Nearly every partner and associate served as a law clerk for a federal judge and more than a dozen clerked for Justices of the United States Supreme Court.
Kellogg Hansen has strong practices in commercial litigation, Supreme Court and appellate litigation, government investigations and white collar defense, intellectual property litigation, antitrust litigation, and telecommunications. The firm serves clients large and small in practically every kind of trial court litigation (criminal and civil, contract and torts, antitrust and unfair competition, patent law, and government and corporate investigations). Without a corporate practice, the firm avoids many conflicts and is able to take on a variety of cases against all kinds of adversaries—including banks, accounting firms, insurance companies, and other law firms.
Although the firm advises on a wide range of industries, its lawyers have a particular depth of experience in the telecommunications industry, representing companies like Verizon and AT&T in both court litigation and dealings with the Federal Communications Commission and state regulators. With several former federal prosecutors among its ranks, a significant portion of the firm’s practice also involves representing and prosecuting corporate and individual clients in governmental investigations and parallel private civil litigation arising under state and federal fraud, securities, banking, antitrust, consumer protection, telecommunications, and health care statutes, as well as the Foreign Corrupt Practices and False Claims Acts.
In addition to extensive experience in federal and state appellate courts, Kellogg Hansen’s attorneys are not afraid to take their cases to the very top. Kellogg Hansen attorneys have argued more than 70 cases before the Supreme Court, and a former firm partner—Neil Gorsuch—is now a Justice.
The firm’s approach to recruiting has not changed, except that in person interviews have been replaced with video conference interviews.
News & Awards
- Kellogg Hansen is lead counsel defending Facebook in two antitrust lawsuits separately filed by the U.S. Federal Trade Commission and 48 attorneys general.
- Kellogg Hansen attorneys have argued more than 75 Supreme Court cases and the firm’s representations have reshaped substantive and procedural law over the last two decades. Noteworthy victories include Apple Inc. v. Pepper, a case ensuring iPhone owners can sue Apple for monopolizing the market for iPhone applications, and Ohio v. American Express Co., the Court’s most significant Rule of Reason antitrust case in two decades.
- Kellogg Hansen has successfully represented NCUA in claims arising from the sale of faulty mortgage-backed securities. Under the firm’s leadership as lead counsel, and after winning five appeals in four different circuit courts, NCUA has recovered more than $5.1 billion from Wall Street banks in cases arising out of the financial crisis.
- Kellogg Hansen won a defense verdict and obtained a unanimous affirmance on appeal in a fraudulent conveyance bench trial in which the plaintiff sought more than $9 billion in damages.
- Recognized for Appellate Law; Telecom, Broadcast & Satellite; and Litigation, 2021—Chambers USA
- Recognized for Appellate, Leading Trial Lawyers, Telecoms and Broadcast, 2021—The Legal 500
- Recognized for Appellate Practice, Securities Regulation, Antitrust Law, Commercial Litigation, Bet-the-Company Litigation, and Communications Law, 2021—U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers Best Law Firms
- Winning Litigators of the Year, 2017—National Law Journal
1615 M Street NW, Suite 400
Washington, DC 20036
Phone: (202) 326-7900
Managing Partner: Michael K. Kellogg
Hiring Partner: Scott H. Angstreich
Total No. Attorneys 2021:
50 - 100
No. of Partners Named 2021:
1st year: $245,000
2nd year: $245,000
3rd year: $310,000
4th year: $335,000
5th year: $360,000
6th year: $370,000
7th year: $370,000
Summer associate: $3,500/week
Scott H. Angstreich
General Recruiting Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
No. of U.S. Offices: 1
No. of International Offices: 0
Government Investigations & White Collar
Intellectual Property Litigation
Supreme Court & Appellate Practice
*See firm website for complete list of practice areas and industries.