2022 Vault Rankings
At a Glance
“Strong pro bono commitment.”
“Quality work with a work/life balance.”
“The firm culture is excellent.”
“Opaque management style.”
“Lags market compensation.”
“Sometimes unpredictable workflow.”
About Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP
The result of 2018’s largest merger, Hunton Andrews Kurth, pairs two firms—each with over a century of history—that had been growing by leaps and bounds in the past few years. Mid-Atlantic-based Hunton & Williams brought with it leading global practices in privacy and cybersecurity, energy, financial services, and real estate. Houston’s Andrews Kurth Kenyon had recently grown from a Lonestar State stalwart to an international firm renowned for its energy, environmental, IP, and privacy practices.
A Tale of Two Firms
Though founded more than 1,000 miles away, Hunton & Williams and Andrews Kurth Kenyon were in many ways mirror images of one another. Eppa Hunton, Randolph Williams, and two others founded their firm in Richmond, VA, in 1901 and quickly attracted banks, railroads, energy companies, and utilities as clients. Just a year later, Frank Andrews and Thomas Ball founded a firm in Houston representing railroad bigwigs like Houston Belt, Terminal Railroad, and the Gulf Coast Lines. In its early days, Andrew’s firm was heavily involved in the city’s development, helping secure funding to build the Port of Houston and working with the Houston Land Corporation. John D. Rockefeller’s Standard Oil—which controlled some 90 percent of the country’s oil production—was a client of both firms until the Supreme Court ordered the company to be broken up in 1911.
Both legacy firms began expanding from their home bases in the second half of the 20th century. Today, Hunton Andrews Kurth boasts nearly 1,000 lawyers across 14 domestic and 6 international offices. The firm is particularly well known in the south and is in the Top 20 of Vault’s Regional rankings for both Texas and the South Atlantic.
Hunton Andrews Kurth practices across dozens of areas, including banking and finance, bankruptcy/restructuring, corporate matters, energy, environmental law, health care and life sciences, insurance, IP, labor and employment, litigation, M&A, privacy, private equity, real estate, tax, and white collar defense, to name some.
The firm has a robust energy practice, handling everything from litigation to permits to project finance to M&A to regulatory matters to tax. The firm takes an interdisciplinary approach, with lawyers from the energy space collaborating with those in antitrust, bankruptcy, IP, labor and employee benefits, and real estate. The firm’s energy practice includes more than 400 attorneys.
Environmental law is another of the firm’s fortes. The firm’s bench boasts experience working at the EPA, DOJ, DOI, DOE, and other government roles. Among industries the firm covers include automobile, chemical, energy, oil and gas, manufacturing, real estate development, semiconductor, and steel. Hunton Andrews Kurth is ranked among the Top 10 in Vault’s Environmental Law Practice Area ranking.
While the coronavirus pandemic has caused some contraction in the legal industry generally, HuntonAK is keenly focused on recruiting top talent today because we recognize our firm’s future is dependent on the long-term success and sustainability of our recruiting efforts. We developed a highly customized summer associate experience during our inaugural virtual program. We were thoughtful about balancing real-world work and providing career and business development training opportunities with a shelf-life long after the summer ends. We are fortunate to have a number of our law clerks returning for the upcoming summer, which will help us manage our class size this upcoming summer.
News & Awards
- Represented Yahoo! (now Verizon) in all aspects of its nation-state and criminal cybersecurity attacks that compromised approximately three billion user accounts. We defended the company in over 40 consumer class actions across several districts. We also managed the company’s responses to investigations by state, federal, and international regulators and by business partners and provided regulatory and litigation counsel for Yahoo!.
- Hunton Andrews Kurth was involved in creating the first Master Limited Partnership (MLP) with the creation of Apache Petroleum Corporation followed by the first master limited partnership (MLP) created through an underwritten initial public offering—Transco Exploration Partners, Ltd in 1983. This new corporate structure allowed the securities of limited partnerships to trade on public stock exchanges while still maintaining control of the entity through its general partner and benefiting from the tax treatment as a partnership.
- Hunton Andrews Kurth represented Jefferies Funding LLC (Jefferies) in its role as note purchaser and lender in connection with a $1 billion variable funding financing facility of Home Equity Lines of Credit (HELOCs) with Figure Lending LLC (Figure Lending) in a first-of-its-kind financing transaction involving collateral originated on blockchain.
- Hunton Andrews Kurth has represented the dealers/initial purchasers on each of the Freddie Mac Structured Agency Credit Risk (STACR) Notes transactions since the commencement of the program in 2013.
- Mansfield Rule 3.0 Certified Plus, 2020—Diversity Lab
- Achievement of benchmark “Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality” and perfect score on the Corporate Equality Index, 2021—Human Rights Campaign
- Charter Member, 2020—Law Firm Antiracism Alliance
- Recognition as a Leading Firm for Associate Satisfaction, 2021—Chambers Associate
- 37 practice areas and 119 individual attorneys recognized; 6 attorneys listed in Hall of Fame; 3 attorneys listed as Leading Lawyers, 2021—Legal 500 USA
Why Work Here
Hunton Andrews Kurth at a Glance
Hunton Andrews Kurth is a preeminent international law firm formed when Hunton & Williams LLP and Andrews Kurth Kenyon LLP combined in April 2018. Our nearly 1,000 lawyers serve clients from 19 offices across the United States, Asia, Europe and the Middle East. We work as “one firm” across all of our offices and offer exceptional work opportunities on a broad array of sophisticated legal matters. Our commitment to diversity is strong, and we recruit a variety of lawyers and staff from many cultures and backgrounds, appreciating the differences they bring to the firm. We are also committed to helping all of our lawyers achieve their potential while supporting each in integrating their work and personal lives.
2200 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20037
Phone: (202) 955-1500
Managing Partner: Walfrido J. “Wally” Martinez
Hiring Partners: Alexis J. Gomez, Rudene Mercer Haynes, and Alan J. Marcuis
Total No. Attorneys (2021):
750 - 1K
No. of Partners Named 2021:
2,000 hours, including up to: a) 100 hours of qualified Pro Bono, b) 25 hours of approved Diversity & Inclusion hours, and c) 25 hours of approved Community Service and Disaster Relief hours.
All U.S. offices
1st year: $202,500
Summer Associate: $3,900/week
Senior Manager of Lawyer Recruiting & Law School Initiatives
No. of U.S. Offices: 15
No. of International Offices: 5
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
San Francisco, CA
Tysons Client Center
The Woodlands, TX I Bangkok
Antitrust & Competition
Banking and Finance
Capital Markets & Securities
Energy and Infrastructure
Labor & Employment
Mergers & Acquisitions
Privacy & Data Security
Real Estate Capital Markets and REITs
*See firm website for complete list of practice areas and industries.