At a Glance
“My coworkers are amazing and fun to be with.”
“Great lifestyle at big firm pay.”
“Substantive work opportunities.”
“Unpredictable workflow at times.”
“The billable-hour requirement.”
“I think there can be a little more transparency with regard to pay, bonuses, and benefits.”
About Haynes and Boone, LLP
From its roots in Dallas-area corporate securities law, Haynes and Boone has expanded to 18 offices across the U.S. and abroad. Although much of its bread and butter remains with the Texas corporate scene, Haynes and Boone has used its presence in Shanghai and Mexico City to profit from Latin American and Chinese energy deals and international trade.
Like Teacher, Like Student
With $1,600 and a handful of small clients, Richard Haynes opened a solo law office in Dallas in 1964 while moonlighting as a securities law seminar teacher at Southern Methodist University School of Law. Michael Boone joined Haynes’ office when he graduated in 1967, after impressing Haynes as a student in his classroom; the firm became Haynes and Boone three years later. Over the next few decades, the firm rode the wave of Dallas’ building boom, merging with other firms and opening additional offices throughout Texas. Since then, Haynes and Boone has become one of the largest law firms in the U.S., with more than 570 attorneys, and has ranked as one of the highest-grossing practices in the U.S.
The Boardroom and the Border
While in its early years, Haynes and Boone maintained a focus on corporate securities law, the firm has grown to 40 practice areas, including business restructuring law and M&A.
In addition to its strong presence in Texas, Haynes and Boone has grown abroad and is home to attorneys from 45 states and 26 countries, who speak 26 different languages. A feather in the firm’s cap is the Latin American presence based out of its Mexico City office. Haynes and Boone has worked on multinational deals involving energy and natural resources, transnational M&A, and international arbitration. Among its notable work is the firm’s representation of Royal Dutch Shell in its sale of portions of its business to buyers in half a dozen Central American countries.
Electrifying the Courtroom
Haynes and Boone has also earned accolades for its use of technology to bolster attorney-client communication, including developing its own software that allows clients to digitally access information on documents, status, and cost of their cases. The firm supports the incorporation of technology into law practice, both in the office and the courtroom. In fact, Haynes and Boone attorneys have served as consultants for local courthouses looking for digital enhancement, advised companies struggling to update Luddite codes of conduct to cover employees’ social media use, and represented technology startups as part of the firm’s venture capital practice.
Haynes and Boone is still evaluating candidates and looking for potential growth opportunities during the pandemic. For a list of current openings, please visit the career page at www.haynesboone.com.
News & Awards
A Haynes and Boone team represented Blucora Inc. in its acquisition of HK Financial Services, a fast-growing, CPA-focused registered investment advisor, for an upfront purchase price of $100 million.
Haynes and Boone became a founding member of the Law Firm Antiracism Alliance, a coalition designed to identify and dismantle systemic racism in the law and government institutions. More than 125 firms across the U.S. have joined the alliance.
A Haynes and Boone team represented Capitol Peak Partners, LLC in its winning, joint bid with KKR & Co. to acquire Borden Dairy Company as a part of the milk producer’s 363 sales process to sell its assets out of bankruptcy.
The 2020 edition of the Chambers USA legal directory featured 59 Haynes and Boone lawyers and 17 practice areas.
- The United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit issued an opinion in 2019 adopting the New Jersey Supreme Court’s findings in a landmark decision which Haynes and Boone obtained in favor of its client, the National Football League. The suit concerned the NFL’s distribution of tickets to Super Bowl XLVIII, which was held at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey.
- A team of lawyers represented Landry’s and its owner Tilman J. Fertitta in the acquisition by Landry’s of the Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steakhouses and the Del Frisco's Grilles business from L Catterton, the largest and most global consumer-focused private equity firm.
- Law360 profiled Haynes and Boone lawyers in 2019 in a Pro Bono Spotlight about the firm’s efforts to reunite a Salvadoran father who had been detained and separated from his children after seeking asylum at the border. The Haynes and Boone team represented Mr. A in administrative and legal proceedings that helped him win a release from custody
- Women in Law Empowerment Forum (WILEF) Gold Standard Certification (for eighth year), 2020
- Client Service A-Team (for 17th consecutive year), 2020—BTI Consulting Group
- World Trademark Review 1000 directory of leading trademark professionals awarded Haynes and Boone a gold ranking as one of the top 11 firms in the U.S., 2020
- Acritas Stars directory – 18 Haynes & Boone lawyers recognized, 2020
- One of the top international law firms doing business in Latin America, 2020—Latinvex
Why Work Here
After 44 years of success, our commitment to excellence remains our utmost priority. We are built on a foundation of strength that enables us to continually be a top-tier law firm of international scope and global capabilities.
The scope of business is becoming increasingly focused on international corporate transactions, financing and partnerships. Haynes and Boone maintains operating principals founded on teamwork, a healthy working environment and a strong work ethic, which allow us to seamlessly serve clients across time zones, borders and boundaries.
2323 Victory Avenue
Dallas, TX 75219
Phone: (214) 651-5000
Managing Partner (2020): Timothy E. Powers
Future Managing Partner (2021): Taylor Wilson
Lateral Hiring Partner: Timothy E. Powers
Total No. Attorneys 2020:
500 - 750
No. of Partners Named 2020:
1st year: $190,000
Summer Associate: pro-rated based on $190,000
All Other Offices
Manager of Entry-Level Recruiting
No. of U.S. Offices: 15
No. of International Offices: 3
Dallas, TX (HQ)
Fort Worth, TX
New York, NY
Orange County, CA
Palo Alto, CA
San Antonio, TX
San Francisco, CA
The Woodlands, TX
Washington, DC I London
*See firm website for complete list of practice areas and industries.