A great place to start your career.
Imagine working in a place filled with energy, momentum and smart people who love what they do. Suppose those people have a certain enthusiasm for their work, and bring an adventurous spirit with them to work every day. Now imagine they also love new ideas, and enjoy being part of an organization that is prized for its innovation. This may sound more like a start-up venture than an established law firm – but it’s a good description of Goodwin. We’re a top-tier firm with clients across the U.S. and around the world. At Goodwin you’ll find a collaborative environment and people who take their work seriously.
- New York
- Washington, DC
- Los Angeles
- San Francisco
- Silicon Valley
- Hong Kong
Explore Our Culture
Our lawyers work side-by-side with clients to ensure success at every step. At Goodwin, lawyers and professional staff alike reach across practice areas and geographies to work together in a collaborative, collegial and entrepreneurial atmosphere.
The Goodwin summer experience is an opportunity to witness first-hand the work we do for our clients by observing client meetings, court hearings, depositions, negotiations, and attending practice group meetings. We also bring our summer associates together during the program to attend a firm-wide retreat. You will work, learn, and connect with peers, associates, and partners at the firm. You will leave our program with valuable mentors, a large professional and social network, and a very good idea of what it’s like to work at Goodwin.
Our Asia Track program is designed for summer associates who have a particular interest in pursuing a legal career in Asia. Fluency in Mandarin Chinese is required. The Asia Track summer program involves spending eight to ten weeks in one of our U.S. offices and two to three weeks in our Hong Kong office.
Learning + Development
At Goodwin you will explore a variety of compelling legal matters in a collegial atmosphere. You will also find time built into your schedule so you can take advantage of professional development and training programs designed to engage and inspire.
Diversity & Inclusion
Goodwin is committed to promoting diversity in our law firm and in the legal profession. We are also committed to an inclusive environment in which each employee can excel and thrive. Diversity and inclusion are core to our business and our values, and our chairman-led Inclusion Advisory Committee ensures that we make our efforts in this area a top priority.
57% of associate hires & 36% of lateral partner hires in the past year are LGBT, people of color, or women.
- Co-Chairs: Jim Mattus & Koray Bulut
- Pride celebrations in all 10 Goodwin offices
- A strong network of LGBT professionals and allies at Goodwin, we formed the partner-led Pride initiative, which focuses on recruiting, retaining and advancing LGBT talent, plus creating a welcoming, inclusive and supportive environment across the firm.
- Co-Chairs: Deb Birnbach & Lisa Haddad
- First AmLaw Firm to be headed by a woman, Regina Pisa
- Can mention OnRamp Fellowship
- To attract, retain, develop and advance women at all stages of their careers. To promote our women lawyers as leaders both inside and outside of the firm. We focus on gender diversity not only because we believe it is right, but also because diverse teams perform better.
- Chair: Sabrina Rose-Smith
- Attract and retain attorneys of color. Support attorneys of color throughout their careers through professional development, mentoring and sponsorship. Create a firm community that is increasingly culturally aware and appreciative of diversity.
Goodwin’s 1L Diversity Fellowships offer financial awards to students from underrepresented backgrounds who work in public interest positions the summer after their first year of law school. Selected fellows are guaranteed a "straight-to-callback" interview with a Goodwin office of their choice in the interviewing season during their second year of law school. Fellows are also invited to participate in some of our summer associate program events during their summer at the public interest organization.
Goodwin’s 2L Diversity Fellowships provide second-year law students from underrepresented backgrounds with awards of $15,000 each, to help cover expenses for their third year of law school. The $15,000 award is contingent on the student’s accepting an offer to join Goodwin’s summer associate program and on accepting an offer, if extended, to join the firm as a full-time associate.
- December 2018: https://www.goodwinlaw.com/news/2019/01/01_24_19-goodwin-offers-1l-diversity-fellowships
- November 2018: https://www.goodwinlaw.com/news/2018/11/11_07_18-goodwin-scores-among-the-top-ten-firms
- October 2018: https://www.goodwinlaw.com/news/2018/10/10_10-goodwin-signs-american-bar-associations
- November 2017: https://www.goodwinlaw.com/news/2017/11/11_15_17-goodwin-named-a-best-place-to-work
- September 2017: https://www.goodwinlaw.com/news/2017/9/09_25_17-goodwin-adopts-mansfield-rule-to-drive
Pro bono work is one of the cornerstones of our firm. Pro bono matters are reviewed the same way as billable matters at Goodwin, and pro bono hours are counted one-to-one for billable hour credit.
Want to know more? Read about Goodwin in the news!
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org