2020 Vault Rankings
At a Glance
“My colleagues. I work with a truly incredible group of people.”
About Foley & Lardner LLP
While Foley & Lardner handles a wide range of business matters, the majority of the firm’s major clients come from the automotive, energy, health care, life sciences, and technology fields. With an excellent health care practice and a client roster boasting such corporate staples as Harley-Davidson and Hewlett-Packard, Milwaukee’s best has grown into an international operation while maintaining local allegiances.
Milwaukee Couldn’t Hold ‘em
Foley & Lardner was founded in 1842 in Milwaukee, when Asahel Finch and William Pitt Lynde opened shop before the lakeside city had even paved its roads. More than a century passed before the firm established a presence outside Wisconsin, creating a DC branch as it became the first Badger State firm to establish an office in another state. From the late 20th century into the early 21st century, the firm underwent several mergers and continued to expand around the country and the globe. The firm’s most recent merger in 2018 with Gardere Wynne Sewell brought the firm to the Lonestar state and Mexico City. Today, the firm has 21 domestic offices and 3 international offices.
In Good Health
Foley & Lardner is organized into three major departments: business law, intellectual property, and litigation. The firm boasts industry teams in the airport & aviation, automotive, energy, food & beverage, health care, hospitality & leisure, life sciences, manufacturing, maritime, retail, sports & entertainment, and technology sectors.
The firm is known for its health care practice, which focuses on everything from health care litigation to international health care to post-acute care and senior housing to telemedicine and digital health. Foley & Lardner’s lawyers bring a variety of experience, including in the medical field as former health practitioners or in government agencies, such as the Department of Health and Human Services.
The firm also has a strong IP practice. Its lawyers have deep experience in developing IP strategy, completing patent applications, handling IP litigation matters, doing IP due diligence, and counseling on trademark and copyright issues.
Foley & Lardner offers a host of virtual tools that help make its practice more accessible to clients. For example, through Foley Collaborate, clients can manage and share legal matters in a secure work workspace. Another tool, Foley Collaborate for Families, is a private website though which families and their advisors can access legal documents and financial information from anywhere in the world. Foley Global Risk is yet another tool offered by the firm, which is a web-based compliance solution that delivers risk assessment on FCPA issues.
News & Awards
The Dane County (Wisconsin) Bar Association recognized four Foley associates for pro bono service. The associates helped develop an expungement clinic and also worked on an eviction defense project.
Of the Am Law 100 law firms, Foley was one of the top five in terms of year-over-year revenue gains in 2019, reporting increased revenue of nearly 22% over 2018.
Foley’s Tampa office received the 2019 Florida Chief Justice’s Law Firm Commendation Pro Bono Service Award. The firm was also nominated by the Volunteer Lawyers Program of the Bay Area Legal Services for contributing more than 1,900 hours to the program and working on more than 140 cases.
Foley’s Dallas office held its 23rd annual MLK Jr. Oratory Competition this year. School children presented original speeches answering a question designed to honor the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- A team of attorneys from Foley’s Washington, DC, office won asylum for a Yemeni woman who faced possible abduction, imprisonment, torture, rape, and murder if she were forced to return to her native country, which was in the midst of a protracted civil war.
- Foley represented BP American Production Company in its $10.5 billion acquisition of most of BHP Billiton Petroleum (North America) Inc.’s onshore U.S. oil and natural gas assets.
- Foley attorneys represented the NBA’s Milwaukee Bucks in connection with the intellectual property rights and other legal rights relating to the development of its high-tech, adjustable thermal bench for its players.
- Foley helped draft groundbreaking legislation in New Mexico which brought the state to the forefront of telehealth insurance coverage and payment parity laws by closing gaps in the state’s current telehealth insurance coverage.
- Working Mother magazine recognized Foley for the seventh consecutive year as a “Best Law Firm for Women.” (2019)
- Foley received 29 national Tier 1 rankings and 121 metropolitan Tier 1 rankings in the 2019 edition of U.S. News –Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms.”
- Foley received a perfect score on the Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index for the sixth consecutive year. The report scores LGBT benefits within corporate America. (2019)
- Eighty-four Foley attorneys were recognized in the 2019 edition of Chambers USA. Among the attorneys named, 13 were ranked at the national level, and three were recognized for the first time. In addition, six of Foley’s practice areas received national rankings, and 32 practices were recognized at the state level.
- By unanimous vote, the Detroit Bar Association Board selected Foley & Lardner as the 2019 Detroit Bar Association Pro Bono Service Award recipient.
777 E. Wisconsin Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53202
Phone: (414) 271-2400
Chairman & CEO: Jay O. Rothman
Managing Partner: Stanley S. Jaspan
National Recruiting Committee Chair: Robert A. Scher
Total No. Attorneys 2019:
1K - 1.5K
Boston; California; Chicago; Dallas; Houston; NY; Washington, DC
1st year: $190,000
Summer associate: $3,650/week Miami
1st year: $170,000
Summer associate: $3,300/week Detroit; Denver; Milwaukee
1st year: $160,000
Summer associate: $3,100/week Madison
1st year: $155,000
Summer associate: $3,000/week Tampa
1st year: $145,000
Summer associate: $2,800/week Jacksonville; Orlando; Tallahassee
1st year: $140,000
Summer associate: $2,700/week
No. of Summer Associates:
81 total (67 2Ls, 14 1Ls) (2019)
Rebecca S. Bradley
Director of Legal Recruiting
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
San Diego, CA
San Francisco, CA
Silicon Valley, CA
*See firm website for complete list of practice areas and industries.