About Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
Founded in 1908, Davis Wright Tremaine has worked with small clients as well as those of Fortune 500 stature, with a focus on litigation, entertainment, environmental, intellectual property, and employment law. Today, the firm has more than 500 attorneys across eight domestic offices.
Winning the West Coast
More than eight decades after it kick-started to life in Seattle, Davis Wright Tremaine merged with another reputable Seattle firm and began its expansion in and beyond the Pacific Northwest. Through its Anchorage, Alaska office, Davis Wright Tremaine made headlines when it served as lead counsel in a 30,000-plaintiff lawsuit filed by seafood and fishing industry interests against Exxon Valdez for the massive oil spill off the coast of Alaska.
Gradually the firm forged a string of offices dotting the West Coast, becoming the first Seattle-based firm to open up shop in San Francisco in 1991, and snagging prominent West Coast names like Starbucks, Microsoft, and the Seattle Times as clients.
The firm moved to the East Coast in 1981, when it acquired a Washington, DC, telecommunications boutique and made its move to the Big Apple in 1998.
Davis Wright Tremaine has continued to grow in its core practice areas, as well as copyright and middle-management M&A. The firm’s practice areas include brand protection and advertising, corporate and business transactions, employment law, environmental law, litigation, real estate, and technology + privacy and security.
DWT has a powerful entertainment division, boasting clients like Spike Cable Networks, MTV Networks, Viacom, Discovery Communications, Comcast Communications, and NBC Universal, and is particularly well known for its First Amendment litigation. The firm’s attorneys have represented author J.D. Salinger in a copyright suit, batted off litigation against controversial filmmaker Michael Moore by citing First Amendment rights, and defended CBS from FCC fines stemming from a certain legendary Super Bowl wardrobe malfunction. Recently, the firm made headlines in its defense of BuzzFeed in the Steele Dossier case. DWT is among the top 3 law firms in Vault’s Media, Entertainment, & Sports ranking and its practice has been named Media & Entertainment Group of the Year by Law360.
With an eye toward innovation, DWT employs “legal solution architects” who work together with firm lawyers to address clients’ and the firm’s business initiatives and challenges. The firm brings together creative problem-solving strategies, collaboration strategies like Lean Six Sigma, and project management. Projects have included creating an automated legal document system and heat map of protected intellectual property.
News & Awards
- Successfully defended BuzzFeed in internationally watched defamation case challenging BuzzFeed’s publication of the Steele Dossier.
- Successfully defended Greenpeace in two separate cases in which large natural resources companies tried to use the RICO statute to silence environmental activism.
- Successfully defended Northwest Immigrant Rights Project from an effort by the Trump administration’s Department of Justice to stop the group from aiding individuals in deportation proceedings.
- Successfully litigating, on behalf of Microsoft, secured landmark reform of the Department of Justice’s approach to digital surveillance, protecting the constitutional rights of email users and providers.
- Media & Entertainment Practice Group of the Year, (Law360 2017, 2018, 2019)
- Top Performer, Microsoft Law Firm Diversity Program (2019)
- Innovative Law Firm of the Year, (International Legal Technology Association 2015, 2016)
- Best Law Firms for Women (Working Mother magazine 2014-2019)
- Appellate Hot List, (National Law Journal 2017)
1201 Third Avenue
Seattle, WA 98101
Phone: (206) 622-3150
Firmwide Managing Partner: Jeff Gray
Total No. Attorneys 2021:
500 - 750
1st year: $140,000
Summer associate: $2,500/week Seattle, WA
1st year: $160,000
Summer associate: $2,800/week Los Angeles, CA; Washington, DC
1st year: $180,000
Summer associate: $3,000/week New York, NY
1st year: $190,000
Summer associate: $3,200/week San Francisco, CA
1st year: $180,000 Bellevue, WA
1st year: $160,000 Anchorage, AK
1st year: $115,000
Law Student Recruiting Manager
No. of U.S. Offices: 8
No. of International Offices: 0
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
San Francisco, CA
Seattle, WA (HQ)
Business & Tax
Technology & Privacy & Security
Real Estate & Land Use
Media, Entertainment, Patent, Technology, & Advertising
Food & Beverage
*See firm website for complete list of practice areas and industries.