Davis Polk provides the experience and environment that help you develop into a world-class lawyer, no matter where your career takes you. From your first day, you’ll be involved in complex and meaningful matters, working side by side with some of the best lawyers in the world. We offer an experience like no other – collaborative, challenging and inspiring – and we give you the skills and knowledge to become a leader in your field.
Who We Are
Davis Polk is a leading law firm, highly regarded by clients, judges, government officials and our peers. Our clients – including some of the most prestigious companies and institutions in the world – trust us to provide the highest-caliber service and legal advice.
Along with the excellence of our work, we are proud of our close-knit, collaborative culture. This is a place of remarkable, accomplished people who work together seamlessly to achieve the best results for our clients.
Ultimately, Davis Polk is about respect: respect for our clients and their vision, respect for hard work and commitment, and respect for different perspectives that lead to new and effective approaches and keep us at the forefront of the legal profession.
Wherever your career may take you, Davis Polk prepares you for success. Along with early responsibility and meaningful work, associates receive top-level training, participate in professional development programs and benefit from ongoing mentoring. The Davis Polk experience helps you become an excellent lawyer and gives you the top credentials that will open doors throughout your career.
Leading companies around the world turn to Davis Polk with their most significant matters. As an associate, you’ll be part of a team that is challenged on a daily basis to find the smartest, most innovative solutions to our clients’ needs.
Davis Polk is recognized for the exceptional strength of our corporate, litigation and tax practices. Our depth in each of these areas, as well as our global reach, brings us important work on a wide range of matters, including:
- Sophisticated global M&A deals
- Groundbreaking securities offerings
- High-profile leveraged lending transactions
- High-stakes complex corporate restructurings
- Innovative fintech matters
- Complex compliance issues
- Corporate governance advice on critical matters for C-suites and boards
- Bet-the-company litigation and enforcement matters
- Strategic tax transactional advice and tax litigation defense
- Cutting-edge financial regulatory developments
- Complex IP and commercial transactions
Our pro bono program is a critical component of the overall work that we do. Our pro bono projects contribute to the training and supervision of associates in trial work and other matters.
In 2018, Davis Polk lawyers devoted more than 55,000 hours to pro bono work. Many organizations have publicly honored Davis Polk and its lawyers for our pro bono work, including The Legal Aid Society and Sanctuary for Families.
Diversity and Inclusion
Davis Polk is a firm of well-rounded people who bring a wide range of perspectives and backgrounds to our work, resulting in a strong and inclusive culture, and more innovative solutions for our clients.
To us, diversity means many things – gender and ethnicity, of course, but also place of origin, language, educational background, socioeconomic status, nonlegal expertise and interests and experience outside the law.
Some key statistics:
- Our lawyers come from 40 countries and collectively speak more than 45 languages.
- 30% of our lawyers are diverse or LGBT.
- 46% of our associates and 18% of our partners are women.
- 35% of our partners promoted in the past five years are women, diverse or LGBT.
- Our 2018 summer associate class included 53% women, and was 50% diverse or LGBT
We have garnered many awards and top rankings globally, including:
Law360 selected six Davis Polk practice groups as 2018 “Practice Groups of the Year”:
- Banking, so named for the past six years
- Health Care
- M&A, so named for the past six years
- Media & Entertainment
2018 IFLR Americas Awards:
- “Americas Law Firm of the Year”
2018 FinanceAsia Achievement Awards:
- “Best Law Firm”
We continued to dominate the capital markets league tables in 2018, ranking 1st in 16 Global and U.S. categories – more than any other firm – according to Bloomberg.
In 2018, we also ranked 1st in announced worldwide M&A by deal value (based on counsel to principals and financial advisers), according to Thomson Reuters. And our credit practice ranked 1st in overall volume and 1st in overall acquisition volume for 2018, according to Thomson Reuters.
Representative Matters: 2018
- Spotify Technology’s direct listing of ordinary shares on the New York Stock Exchange.
- SoftBank’s $23.5 billion global IPO. This is the largest-ever IPO in Japan and the second-largest global IPO of all time.
- iQIYI’s $2.25 billion SEC-registered IPO and Nasdaq listing. This was the third-largest U.S. IPO in 2018.
- StoneCo’s $1.4 billion SEC-registered IPO and Nasdaq listing. This was the second-largest Brazilian IPO in 2018.
- Government Development Bank of Puerto Rico’s (GDB) approximately $2.6 billion bond issuance. The bonds were issued as part of GDB’s restructuring of approximately $6.4 billion of bonds, deposits and other liabilities and were exchanged by the GDB Debt Recovery Authority formed by the Government of Puerto Rico pursuant to Title VI of the Puerto Rico Oversight Management and Economic Stability Act.
- Aetna on its $77 billion acquisition by CVS Health – the largest M&A transaction of 2017 and the largest healthcare transaction in history.
- Shire’s £46 billion acquisition by Takeda.
- Comcast’s $40 billion successful contested acquisition of Sky plc.
- GE’s $11.1 billion merger of GE Transportation with Wabtec.
- Cigna’s $26.7 billion senior unsecured bridge loan facility for its acquisition of Express Scripts.
- United Natural Foods’ $4.15 billion senior secured credit facilities for its acquisition of Supervalu.
- Volkswagen in connection with the chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings of Takata.
- Nine West’s Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.
- iHeartMedia: Debtor-in-possession financing facility for iHeartMedia and its chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.
- Telia in one of the largest FCPA resolutions, involving allegations that employees paid bribes to enter the Uzbekistan market. The global settlement included resolutions with the DOJ, SEC and Dutch and Swedish authorities.
- High-Profile Corruption Investigations: Player in every high-profile global corruption investigation, including FIFA, Lava Jato, 1MBD, IBM, Walmart, Ericsson and Princelings.
- Royal Bank of Scotland in connection with various investigations and claims relating to the mortgage meltdown and residential mortgage-backed securities under the Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery and Enforcement Act (FIRREA).
- NPB Neue Privat Bank in connection with the first non-prosecution agreement and lowest fine for a Category 1 Swiss bank under the DOJ’s Swiss Bank Program.
- SS&C, a leading provider of administrative and technology services, in civil litigation related to allocation of losses caused by a business email compromise scam.
- 33 underwriters of the Facebook IPO inobtaining a winning decision which was affirmed on appeal, in a case that was both a crucial victory for our clients and one of the most important rulings for IPO underwriters and the market at large in the past decade.
- Sete Brasil in four separate ICC arbitrations brought by affiliates of Singaporean shipbuilder relating to an $800 million dispute arising out of four deepwater drilling rigs being constructed to produce oil for Caixa.
Our U.S. summer program provides you with an all-encompassing experience of work and life at one of the world’s top-rated firms.
What to expect:
Real work: You’ll work closely with partners and associates on significant cases and transactions that involve well-known companies and financial institutions.
A program tailored to your needs: We assign two associates to work full-time on the programs, ensuring you have a range of work assignments and a fulfilling experience overall.
Professional development: Dive into our many training programs and practice area overviews.
Mentoring: All summer associates are matched with both a partner mentor and associate mentor who introduce them to the firm and the work, and provide ongoing professional development guidance.
Cultural and social events: Food and cultural tours, sporting events, dinners, wine tastings— our team plans a range of events designed to give you the chance to get to know your Davis Polk colleagues.
Pro bono opportunities: We work on a wide variety of pro bono matters, and we welcome you to get involved in these rewarding projects. We also offer two-week externships at several public interest organizations in New York City.
Travel: Some of our summer associates spend four weeks working in one of our overseas offices, while others split their time between New York and Northern California or Washington DC. Other summer associates have the opportunity to travel on a client matter.
For more information, please visit our website at careers.davispolk.com.