2022 Vault Rankings
At a Glance
“Realistic expectations for billables.”
“Flexibility and transparency.”
“The positive culture and cutting-edge work.”
“Salary and bonuses are under market.”
“At times the hours can become overwhelming.”
“Getting work as an associate can be hard when your practice group isn't concentrated in your office.”
About Cozen O'Connor
With 30 offices across the U.S., U.K., and Canada, Cozen O’Connor is a full-service law firm. The firm’s client list ranges from Fortune 500 and middle-market firms to startups and individuals.
Cozen O’Connor was founded in 1970 by Stephen A. Cozen. The firm originated with four lawyers practicing insurance and commercial litigation. Today, the firm boasts more than 750 lawyers around the world with experience in dozens of practice areas.
From Hard Hats to Policy
Though the firm’s main practice areas are litigation, corporate and regulatory law, and government relations, Cozen O’Connor provides legal assistance in everything from aviation to bankruptcy to cannabis to construction to employment to maritime to products liability to real estate—and the list goes on.
The firm’s litigators pride themselves in being trial lawyers, and many are members of the American College of Trial Lawyers. Among the areas its litigators advise on are antitrust, appellate, commercial, construction, criminal, intellectual property, international arbitration, products liability, real estate, securities, and transportation. The firm relies on lean staffing in its litigation matters to boost cost efficiency and accountability.
Cozen O’Connor also has deep experience in government work. The firm’s government & regulatory practice is experienced in advising clients as to antitrust and trade regulation, consumer protection and privacy, energy and environment, health care, and transportation. The firm’s lawyers also collaborate with Cozen O’Connor Public Strategies, which is a lobbying firm with more than 30 professionals.
The firm’s construction group advises a variety of clients, including architects, building/land owners, construction managers, contractors, engineers, subcontractors, and suppliers. Firm attorneys assist with litigation arising from construction matters—including breach of contract, construction defects, payment disputes, defective design, and more—as well as project development and counseling.
Focus on Diversity
For two decades, the firm has been home to a Diversity & Inclusion Committee, which includes attorneys and staff from all offices. Among its diversity groups are an Asian Attorney Resource Group, Black Attorney Resource Group, LGBTQ Attorney Resource Group, Hispanic/Latino Attorney Resource Group, and Disabled and/or Veteran Attorney Resource Group. The firm also launched the Cozen O’Connor Women’s Initiative in the ’90s, which includes both a Steering Committee and subcommittees comprised with women from across the firm’s offices. In September 2020, the firm achieved Mansfield Rule 3.0 Certification status.
The firm also runs a 1L Diversity & Inclusion Fellowship for first-year law students who are offered positions as summer associates at the firm. According to the firm, eligible candidates must “belong to a group that has historically been underrepresented in the legal profession and have demonstrated a commitment to building diversity and inclusion.”
The firm will continue to focus on the safety of the candidates and attorneys in the OCI and callback process. We are also offering the opportunity for candidates to submit additional materials to describe any challenges they faced during the pandemic or tell our hiring committee anything else that they believe is relevant to their application.
News & Awards
- Negotiated a settlement that could revolutionize the U.S. sports-betting market on behalf of Laura Varela and 5Dimes. The U.S. Department of Justice was investigating illegal gambling and money-laundering associated with 5Dimes and Ms. Varela’s husband when he died in 2018. We negotiated an unprecedented resolution with prosecutors, resolving 5Dimes’s liability and allowing her to reposition the sportsbook to enter the U.S. sports-betting industry.
- Represented affiliates of Equus Capital Partners, Ltd. as lead counsel in a multi-tiered transaction valued in excess of $1 billion that included selling two portfolios of industrial assets totaling 88 properties.
- Defended a Fortune 100 midstream energy company against claims by a contractor arising from the 700-mile Rover natural gas pipeline construction. A Texas trial court awarded the contractor $1.1 million of $63.1 million in claimed contract damages, denied all other claims, and awarded the client $13.7 million on its counterclaims.
- Represented Utz Brands, Inc. (NYSE:UTZ) in more than a dozen strategic acquisitions, making Utz the fastest-growing pure-play branded salty snack platform in the country. Served as lead M&A counsel in Utz’s most significant transaction to date, in which it combined with Collier Creek Holdings and became a public company.
- Law Firm of the Year, 2020; Law Firm of the Year Finalist, 2021—The Legal Intelligencer Professional Excellence Awards
- Intellectual Property Department recognized, 2021—World Trademark Review 1000
- Appellate Hot List, 2020—National Law Journal
- White Collar Defense & Investigations Practice Named to GIR 100 List, 2020—Global Investigations Review
- Practice Group of the Year: Cannabis, 2020—Law360
1650 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Phone: (215) 665-2000
Executive Chairman & CEO: Michael J. Heller
President & Managing Partner: Vincent R. McGuinness, Jr.
Total No. Attorneys (2021):
750 - 1K
No. of Partners Named 2021:
Varies by department.
1st year: $190,000 Philadelphia:
1st year: $180,000
Director of Legal Recruiting
No. of U.S. Offices: 27
No. of International Offices: 4
Cherry Hill, NJ
Las Vegas, NV
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
Philadelphia, PA (HQ)
San Diego, CA
San Francisco, CA
Santa Monica, CA
West Conshohocken, PA
West Palm Beach, FL
Wilmington, DE I London
Class Actions Construction Law
Government and Regulatory
Institutional Response Group
Labor and Employment
Life Insurance and Annuity
Privacy & Data Security
Private Client Services
State Attorneys General Subrogation
Transportation and Trade
Utility, Energy and Environmental
*See firm website for complete list of practice areas and industries.