Training and Development
As a new associate, you’ll have the opportunity to participate in our year-long formal training program that presents substantive business, legal, and financial concepts in the context of the transactions and litigation matters you will be facing daily. These seminars and workshops cover just about every aspect of the work we do and will help you master the essential, practical skills of writing, negotiating, drafting contracts, examining witnesses, and appearing in court.
We supplement this with our in-house continuing legal education program for lawyers of all levels of seniority, including practice group luncheon presentations and informal get-togethers that focus on different areas of practice. Associates also regularly attend outside seminars and other programs of their choice.
In addition, our Professional Development Group will help you gain the skills and experience you need to become an excellent senior lawyer and to achieve your career aspirations. We offer an innovative management training program that commences on your arrival and lasts throughout your time at the firm.
Benefits and Perks
Cleary Gottlieb’s benefits package is one of the most comprehensive in the industry. It’s designed to benefit every member of the firm and target each individual’s diverse needs.
To help accommodate each firm member’s family, eligible dependents include a spouse or qualified domestic partner (same-sex or opposite-sex), unmarried dependent children, stepchildren, and domestic partner’s children.
In addition to paid holidays, vacation, 401(k), and comprehensive health care coverage, Cleary provides additional benefits that include but are not limited to the following:
- Dental and Vision Care
- Short- and Long-Term Disability Coverage
- Parental Leave
- Medical and Dependent Care Pre-Tax Benefit Plan
- Pre-Tax Transportation Program
- Voluntary Insurance Plans
- Back-Up Childcare Program
- New Mother’s Room
- Employee Assistance Program
- Payment for Bar Fees and Approved CLE courses
- Judicial Clerkship Bonus
- Moving Expense and Broker Fee Reimbursement (within 3 months of joining the firm)
- Gym Memberships
- Flu Shots
As a firm, we place a premium on the unique perspectives of individuals from a range of backgrounds, beliefs, and life experiences. We believe this helps to keep the firm an open and exciting place to work—and a diversity of perspectives helps us better serve our clients. By prioritizing diversity and inclusion, we promote an environment where women and men of different races, national origins, religions, and sexual orientations can practice law in a collegial and effective manner.
Our active Committee on Diversity Issues includes partners, counsel, associates, and administrative professionals. The Committee focuses on three core areas: recruitment of law students and lawyers of diverse backgrounds, professional development of diverse lawyers, and promotion of an open and ongoing dialogue related to diversity topics.
Two additional standing committees further promote inclusion at the firm with particular emphasis on women’s issues – The Committee on Women’s Issues and the New York Committee on Retention and Promotion of Women. Both committees ultimately aim to foster a sense of community and maintain a support network for female lawyers at the firm.
Opportunities Beyond Cleary
Our network of stellar alumni is among our proudest achievements. Many of our former lawyers
have gone on to join the legal departments of corporations and financial institutions, to teach at universities, and to pursue fields completely outside of the law. These positions have included:
- Special assistant to the President of the United States and senior director for African Affairs
- National Security Council director for Russia
- General counsel for the Department of the Army
- Senior restructuring officer of the U.S. Department of the Treasury
- Secretary of the U.S. Treasury
- President of the U.N. General Assembly
- Deputy assistant attorney general in the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice
- Senior officials of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York
- Advocate general at the European Court of Justice
- Belgium’s ambassador to the United States
- Member of the World Trade Organization’s Appellate Body, representing the European Communities
- General counsel at the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
- 29 United Nations, World Bank, International Monetary Fund and World Trade Organization officials
- President of the New York City Economic Development Corporation
- A Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire
- Authors of books on the law, current events and academic subjects, as well as writers of trade nonfiction
- Six published fiction authors
- More than 690 investment banking and finance executives
- More than 75 hedge fund and private equity executives
- More than 65 startup and technology company leaders
- More than 255 general counsel and senior officers at Fortune 500 companies
- 235 law school deans and professors
- 60 officials at intergovernmental organizations
- 50 founders or current directors of not-for-profits
At Cleary, we are looking for lawyers capable of the highest levels of excellence in law, business, diplomacy, and beyond. That’s why for more than 70 years, Cleary has been turning out not just fine lawyers, but fine leaders.
Cleary Gottlieb was founded by prominent lawyers committed to excellence in the practice of law, while maintaining the highest ethical standards and diversity and collegiality in its lawyers.
Cleary lawyers, not only at the associate level but also at the partner level, are compensated based solely on seniority. Hours billed and the amount of business generated have no effect on any Cleary lawyer’s compensation; lawyers are rewarded just as much for helping their colleagues as they are for helping themselves, because the focus is always on helping our clients.
Our reasoning is not complicated. The best work product results from talented people working in a common enterprise, sharing their knowledge, time, and experience with colleagues. Only a handful of firms around the world are so confident of their core values that they are willing to share the rewards of their work in the way that we do. Generations of Cleary lawyers have proven there is no better way to foster excellence for ourselves and superior service for our clients.
Director of Legal Recruiting
T: +1 212 225 3170
F: +1 212 225 3999
Georgia Emery Gray
Director of Legal Personnel and Recruiting
T: +1 202 974 1804
F: +1 202 974 1999