At Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP, we put nearly 230 years of legal experience and innovation to work today for many of the world’s most prominent financial institutions, corporations and funds. Our attorneys provide counsel and strategic legal solutions to help their clients break new ground, accomplish business goals, and manage challenges. Our long legacy continues with our work on the most important, sophisticated and complex transactions, litigation, disputes, investigations and regulatory matters of the day.
As a firm community, Cadwalader is comprised of talented and driven individuals committed to excellence and innovation. Across practices, offices and transatlantic borders, we share the common goal of providing world-class client service through the development of a culture that fosters diversity, collaboration and professional growth.
Cadwalader attorneys value their experience of receiving first-rate training and development and access to challenging and cutting-edge client and pro bono work, all within an inclusive and supportive environment.
As the oldest continuing Wall Street law practice, Cadwalader retains its reputation as a premier financial services law firm, while serving a truly diverse client base with equal distinction. Our attorneys are known for providing high-quality, well-coordinated and efficient legal expertise that addresses the full spectrum of commercial and regulatory risks and business opportunities, including in the areas of: antitrust, banking, corporate finance, corporate governance, executive compensation, financial restructuring, intellectual property, litigation, mergers and acquisitions, private equity, private wealth, real estate, regulation, securitization, structured finance, tax and white collar defense.
Diversity and Inclusion
We believe that our continued strength lies in ensuring that we attract, retain and nurture the very best talent from all backgrounds, and we expect that the future composition of Cadwalader will, with each passing year, more closely reflect the global community that we serve.
The Cadwalader Center for Diversity & Inclusion (CCDI) is the firm’s organizing body and central resource for its multi-faceted diversity programs. The CCDI’s 10-person global Diversity Committee, chaired by Cadwalader Managing Partner Pat Quinn, is focused on developing tomorrow’s diverse leaders by investing in their success today. As steward of the firm’s robust diversity and inclusion agenda, the committee aims to improve on existing programs and launch new initiatives that will expand opportunities in retention and promotion, career development and business development for the firm’s diverse and women attorneys.
A representative sample of our ongoing D&I initiatives includes:
- Diversity Talent Development Programs
- Civil Rights @Cadwalader -- Our Civil Rights Series began in May 2017 and is focused on providing conversation and education around the civil rights issues of our time, with recent speakers/topics including: gun control, hate crimes, LGBTQ rights, police brutality, reproductive rights and voting rights. Learn more here.
- Our affinity networks, which are designed to be impactful and inclusive, and to better the business of the firm, include: Asian Pacific American Attorney Resource Group; Black & Latino Association; LGBTQ Network; Veterans Network; Women’s Leadership Initiative; First Generation Attorney Resource Group; and Parents Affinity Network. Learn more here.
Through a range of pro bono programs, Cadwalader provides assistance to organizations and individuals who cannot afford quality legal representation. We strive to lead by example, matching the diverse interests of our lawyers with the wide-ranging needs of our pro bono clients. Our efforts are connected by a common thread — a collective dedication and commitment to helping the underserved and disadvantaged.
We have established several signature projects to help individuals and communities at the margins of society reach greater levels of self-sufficiency.
- Black & Latino Association Immigration Clinic: Founded in 2015, the Clinic serves as a support network meant to increase attorney awareness, knowledge and engagement on pro bono immigration matters.
- Not-for-Profit Incubator: Over the past 10 years, Cadwalader’s Not-for-Profit Incubator has incorporated and obtained tax exemption for more than 300 organizations, working hand-in-hand with clients to prepare formation documents and all required legal paperwork for the IRS and state agencies.
- LGBTQ Network Name Change Clinic: The firm’s LGBTQ Network partners with the Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund’s Name Change Project to provide free legal name change services to low-income transgender people.
- Small Business Clinic: Working with our bank clients, we host and staff small business clinics organized by Start Small Think Big, an organization committed to helping low- to moderate income individuals build and sustain thriving businesses in underserved New York City communities.
- Veterans Life Planning Clinic: Through our Veterans Network Life Planning Clinic, our attorneys, in partnership with Volunteers of Legal Service (VOLS), prepare wills, powers of attorney, and other essential directives and life planning documents for veterans and low-income seniors.
- Women’s Leadership Initiative Housing Clinic: Attorneys who participate in the WLI Housing Clinic are focused on helping low-income tenants in New York public housing keep and/or repair their homes.
To see a full list of Cadwalader’s long-standing relationships with additional legal service providers, please visit here.
Commitment to Community
The Firm's dedication to the principles of corporate social responsibility (CSR) is based on our long-standing tradition of serving the public good. We focus on empowering our communities through several initiatives in our four key focus areas: Fighting Hunger, Investing in Our Communities, Advocating for Justice and Equity for All and Sustainability.
Below is a sample of our activities in the following categories.
CWT Race Against Hunger: CWT Race Against Hunger is an opportunity to walk, run, or bike to raise funds for First Love Foundation (London), Food Bank For New York City, Martha’s Table (DC) and Second Harvest of Metrolina (NC)
Justice Served: The Firm is a leader of the Justice Served campaign, an annual six-week effort by NYC’s legal community to benefit Food Bank For New York City. Justice Served offers member firms an opportunity to raise funds and awareness, and participate in volunteer opportunities.
The Campaign Against Hunger: In an effort to combat food insecurity, the Firm provides pro bono legal services to The Campaign Against Hunger, a NYC hunger relief agency whose mission is to empower our neighbors by increasing their access to safe, nutritious food and related resources.
Investing In Our Communities
MENTOR Program: Each year, Cadwalader attorneys coach students from Brooklyn’s James Madison High School for the annual MENTOR Program Moot Court competition – and have earned multiple victories!
Women’s Leadership Initiative Girls in Finance
The Annual Girls in Finance program introduces high school girls to career opportunities in the financial sector (law or business), teaches them elementary finance concepts and allows them to engage with women in the industry.
Advocating For Justice And Equity For All
Civil Rights @Cadwalader
Cadwalader’s Center for Diversity and Inclusion’s Civil Rights Series is a unique program that consists of events that highlight civil rights issues featuring notable individuals and groups at the forefront of today’s civil rights movement.
Driver’s License Restoration Project
Cadwalader attorneys participate in the Driver’s License Restoration Project to provide relief to low-income North Carolinians with indefinite license suspensions.
Cadwalader is a participant in the Law Firm Sustainability Network and has received the American Legal Sustainability Standard (ALISS) from LFSN in recognition of our assessment of our sustainability program and taking measures to reduce environmental impact.
Center for Career Advancement
Our Center for Career Advancement provides the framework for Cadwalader attorneys to develop into leaders, learn essential legal, practical and professional skills, and take ownership of their development and career advancement goals. Through a variety of resources, we equip our attorneys with the tools that enable them to succeed at the Firm and in the law.
Cadwalader’s competency-based approach to talent development is guided by the philosophy that to most effectively aid in the development of our attorneys, they should be provided with a clear set of standards and expectations — known as competencies and benchmarks — to be mastered at various levels throughout their legal career.
To learn more about the firm’s Career Navigator Program, Professional Development and Business Planning, Mentoring Programs, Feedback and Performance Evaluations, Career Counseling and Training and Continuing Legal Education Opportunities, please visit here.
Our Summer Program
Our summer program gives future attorneys the opportunity to do everything our attorneys do. Through substantive work assignments, internal and external trainings, and planned social events, our summers will experience life as a Cadwalader attorney and get to know what we do and who we are.
Explore more here.