2022 Vault Rankings
At a Glance
“Exciting, high-stakes litigation work.”
“The type of cases we do, the passion of many of the lawyers, and the autonomy with which we are able to do it.”
“Lack of transparency.”
“Too much work.”
About Boies Schiller Flexner LLP
Started in 1997, Boies Schiller Flexner LLP is a relative newcomer to the elite firm ranks but already boasts nearly 200 lawyers and has its principal offices in New York; Washington, DC; California; Florida; and the United Kingdom. As one of the nation’s premier litigation shops, BSF is no stranger to heavy-hitter clients—over the years, the firm’s clients have included American Express, Barclays, Carnival Corporation, CBS, Cherokee Nation, Delta Air Lines, DuPont, Ernst & Young, Goldman Sachs, HSBC, John Hancock, Merck, NASCAR, New York Yankees, NextEra Energy, Philip Morris, SBC Communications (now AT&T), Sony, SpaceX, and Zurich Insurance Group.
A star litigator at Cravath for 30 years, David Boies knocked heads with the firm when he decided to represent Yankees owner George Steinbrenner in a lawsuit against Major League Baseball. Boies’ representation of Steinbrenner posed a conflict of interest for Cravath, whose longtime client Time Warner also owned the Atlanta Braves. In a story that made the front page of The New York Times, 48 hours after receiving an ultimatum to drop the Steinbrenner case, Boies hung up his Cravath hat. Within a matter of months he persuaded Jonathan Schiller, a litigation and international arbitration specialist and partner at Kaye Scholer, to join him. By the end of 1999, Donald Flexner, a partner from Crowell & Moring’s antitrust group, was also on board.
While it also handles transactional matters, Boies Schiller Flexner is known for its litigation prowess—and most of its work revolves around high-stakes, complex litigation. Boies Schiller’s litigation practice is broad, including antitrust, appellate, constitutional law, cybersecurity and privacy, employment, energy, environmental law, First Amendment, health care, intellectual property, family law, products liability, securities litigation, and sports law—and everything in between. The firm is in the top 25 of Vault’s Practice Area rankings for General Commercial Litigation, Appellate, Antitrust, Securities Litigation, Products Liability, and White Collar Defense & Internal Investigations. The firm was named to The National Law Journal’s Appellate Hot List in 2018, and for good reason—lawyers at Boies Schiller Flexner are regulars in the Supreme Court and federal courts of appeals. Some of the firm’s past matters include Bush v. Gore, Halliburton Co. v. Erica P. John Fund, and Pennzoil v. Texaco. Not to mention, the firm’s ranks include dozens of former state and federal appellate clerks and multiple former U.S. Supreme Court clerks.
In 2021, our summer associates experienced a mix of virtual and in-person events. With restrictions being lifted in many cities where we have offices, we implemented a voluntary return several days per week while continuing to follow best practices for COVID-related safety protocols. This allowed summer associates to meet attorneys in person and gain a better sense of the office environment at BSF. We also built upon the success of our virtual program in 2020 by holding a number of events remotely, bringing the entire summer class together for social events like trivia night and a mixology class, as well as to engage with our DEI affinity groups and others throughout the firm. Through both approaches, we continued to focus on giving summer associates meaningful work experiences as well as the opportunity to get to know one another and BSF.
News & Awards
- As co-lead counsel for the plaintiffs in Perry v. Brown, the firm won the first judgment establishing the right to marry for gay and lesbian citizens under the U.S. Constitution.
- BSF achieved a $4.1 billion recovery for American Express in its antitrust case against VISA and Mastercard relating to exclusionary practices governing bank partnerships—which was the largest recovery ever for a private plaintiff in an antitrust case.
- The firm represented the victims of Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell in bringing the underage sex trafficking to public light and in generating prosecutions in New York after years in which prosecutors and the press largely ignored the misconduct.
- BSF won an historic $65.5 million recovery in January 2019 on behalf of a class of au pairs in bringing claims for violations of state and federal employment laws, as well as antitrust and state unfair competition laws.
- Litigator of the Year 2012, 2016, 2018, and 2020—The American Lawyer
- Litigation Department of the Year Finalist 2012, 2016—The American Lawyer
- Antitrust, Commercial Litigation, White Collar Crime & Government Investigations are ranked as leading practices by Chambers USA 2021
- Awarded “Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality” with a score of 100 percent, 2016-2021—Human Rights Campaign Foundation
- Benchmark Litigation has named BSF attorneys in the Top 100 Trial Lawyers, the Top 10 Women in Litigation and the Top 250 Women in Litigation
55 Hudson Yards
New York, NY 10001
Phone: (212) 446-2300
Managing Partners: David Boies, Jonathan D. Schiller, Natasha Harrison, Sigrid McCawley, Matthew Schwartz, Alan Vickery
Hiring Partners: George Carpinello/Adam Shaw (Albany); Matthew S. Tripolitsiotis (Armonk); Mike Mitchell (DC); Sabria McElroy (Fort Lauderdale); Charles Miller (Hollywood; FL); James Lee (Miami); Joanna Wright (NY); Sean Rodriguez/Maxwell Pritt (SF); Ed Takashima (Los Angeles)
Total No. Attorneys (2021):
150 - 250
No. of Partners Named 2021:
1st year: $202,500
2nd year: $205,000
3rd year: $215,000
4th year: $240,000
5th year: $275,000
6th year: $305,000
7th year: $330,000
8th year: $350,000
9th year: $365,000
Summer Associate: $3,650/week
Attorney Recruiting and Development Coordinator
No. of U.S. Offices: 10
No. of International Offices: 1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Las Vegas, NV
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
San Francisco, CA
Washington, DC I London
Antitrust & Competition
Class Actions, Opt-Outs, and Multidistrict Litigation
Creditor Rights, Bankruptcy & Restructuring
Data Privacy & Cybersecurity
Financial Institutions and Private Equity
First Amendment & Mass Media
Global Investigations & White Collar Defense
Intellectual Property Litigation
Life Sciences & Healthcare
Matrimonial & Family Law
Partnership and Employment Disputes
Securities and Financial Products Litigation
Sports and Gaming
*See firm website for complete list of practice areas and industries.