For more than a century, BakerHostetler has maintained an unwavering dedication to the highest standards of client service. With nearly 1,000 attorneys across 17 offices coast to coast, we provide sophisticated and innovative legal counsel. Leveraging the firm’s strong foundation, we opened offices in Dallas, San Francisco and Wilmington, Del., in 2020 – even amid the COVID-19 crisis.
- We are trial lawyers with a tech advantage. With more than 360 litigators, we represent market-leading clients in virtually every type of case and proceeding. We leverage a sophisticated suite of proprietary technology that includes predictive coding, artificial intelligence and more to efficiently manage large amounts of data and provide clients with tools customized to their needs.
Watch SIPA Trustee and BakerHostetler Partner Irving Picard, his Chief Counsel and Partner David Sheehan, and former SIPC President Stephen Harbeck discuss 10 years of groundbreaking work in recovering more than $14 billion for the victims of the Madoff Ponzi scheme.
- We are a middle-market corporate leader. With more than 300 transactional attorneys, our corporate practices cover every aspect of a business transaction. Since 2015, our deal teams have worked on more than 500 M&A transactions with an aggregate value of more than $68 billion.
- We provide a 360-degree approach to “everything data.” Our Digital Assets and Data Protection Group includes more than 100 attorneys and technologists operating at the intersection of innovation and regulation. We address digital transformation, e-commerce, fintech, cybersecurity, consumer privacy, transactions, governance, risk management, and more. Our unique IncuBaker team develops insights and solutions that deploy emerging technology, including operational smart contracts and live litigation dashboards.
Be Valued: friendly, flexible, engaged.
We are a nationwide Big Law firm with a friendly, Midwest attitude. We are committed to creating a rewarding work environment that offers opportunities for challenging work, a supportive and collegial atmosphere, and a promising pathway for career development. We signed the ABA Wellness Pledge to support healthy work environments for legal professionals and we provide many progressive opportunities for balancing career and personal priorities, including:
- Alternative work schedules
- Benefits for part-time personnel
- Child and elder care resources and referral services
- Employee assistance program
- Parental leave and new parent support and programming
- Work-from-home options
Be Supported: training, mentoring, development.
We provide an ongoing training track that supports your legal career beginning with day one, designed to provide a realistic path to partnership. From practice-specific skills to business development and professional leadership, we believe in an apprentice culture that provides you with meaningful, practical experience, supported by experienced mentors throughout your career journey. Your learning opportunities evolve in step with your advancement, beginning with our highly regarded Summer Associate program. Programming includes:
- Unassigned Associate Program: You can choose to join a specific practice or opt for our one-year unassigned program to explore your potential choices.
- Associates Academy: A comprehensive, multi-day, in-person training program for the firm’s entry-level associates. The program addresses substantive legal skills (legal writing, negotiations, and more) as well as firm culture, law firm economics and business development.
- Midlevel associate training: Multi-day, in-person, practice group-specific training for our midlevel lawyers to give them hands-on experience to hone their developing skills.
- Practice group-specific training: NITA-based deposition training, mediation and negotiation workshops, business transactions, mergers and acquisitions, and monthly practice group and team calls. We offer webinars on practice developments, new case law and industry issues, and in-office training, including legal writing courses.
Be Engaged: pro bono opportunities
One of our founding principles is commitment to the communities where we work through our pro bono work. We recognize the importance of applying our resources to assist those in need and we fully support pro bono representation. Associates receive full billable hours credit for pro bono work with no cap.
Our pro bono work includes significant social impact litigation as well as nonprofit counseling and partnerships with organizations advocating for the legal rights of women, immigrants, and members of the LGBTQ+ community.
Recent examples include a landmark agreement regarding the treatment of transgender inmates and a precedential win regarding the threshold for asylum on behalf of a Honduran immigrant. We provide pro bono counsel for Her Justice, Human Rights Campaign, Boys & Girls Clubs of America, The Veterans Consortium, and many others.
Be You: unique, inclusive, supportive.
We value and promote inclusion and diversity at all levels of our firm, vigorously recruiting and supporting diverse lawyers because it enriches our counsel, our workplace, and our communities. Our firm maintains a very active firmwide Inclusion & Diversity Advisory Board, a firmwide Diversity Council, and a broad range of affinity groups, as well as office-specific diversity and women’s committees, all of which work with our firmwide Inclusion and Diversity Director. We provide a steady stream of events, webinars, and training opportunities, and we also encourage and support associate involvement in diverse bar associations, professional groups, and community organizations. Among our initiatives:
- We earned a perfect 100 percent rating in 2020 from the Human Rights Campaign Foundation, which measures corporate policies and practices related to LGBTQ+ workplace equality.
- Women attorneys participate in every level of firm management. A quarter of the firm’s Policy Committee are women or diverse, and our fastest-growing office is led by a female managing partner. The firm has been recognized multiple times as one of the “Best Law Firms for Women” by Working Mother magazine.
- We support candid conversation about race, discrimination and lived experience, and provide resources to educate all of our colleagues to help us effect lasting change. In 2020, the BakerHostetler Foundation made a $100,000 contribution to the Equal Justice Initiative, a nonprofit that works to challenge racial and economic injustice, to protect human rights, to end mass incarceration and excess punishment in the United States, and to reform policing in America.
Learn more about Inclusion & Diversity at BakerHostetler.
Learn more about BakerHostetler's Women's Committee.