2022 Vault Rankings
At a Glance
“Very supportive of women and families.”
“Good client base that is growing.”
“Lagging in compensation.”
BakerHostetler is home to nearly 1,000 lawyers across 17 offices throughout the U.S. The firm maintains the requisite laundry list of BigCorp clients, as well as a small yet respectable lobbying practice.
A Little Investment
BakerHostetler was founded in 1916 on the strength of a $1,500 investment by three lawyers in Cleveland. The firm has long been active in the political world, with namesake Newton Baker serving as a Secretary of War during World War I. A few years later, Baker attorneys represented private utility companies in their nearly 20-year fight against New Deal legislation that authorized the creation of massive public power projects. Baker lawyers later went on to advise a number of key players in the Watergate and Iran-Contra scandals. Today, the firm has grown beyond its roots, with 14 offices outside of Ohio and lawyers coast to coast.
From Asset Recovery to Data
With specialties in bankruptcy, digital assets and data management, labor and employment law, intellectual property, litigation, and tax, BakerHostetler works across 16 practice areas in a dozen industries and also focuses on emerging issues like blockchain, Internet of Things, new markets tax credit, and more. The firm’s client roster includes AT&T, Amazon, Cardinal Health, The E.W. Scripps Company, Major League Baseball, Marriott Hotels, Toyota Motor Company, Microsoft, Caterpillar, and PhRMA.
BakerHostetler is a go-to firm for bankruptcy matters, having gained international recognition for its role as the court-appointed counsel to the Trustee in the Securities Investor Protection Act (SIPA) liquidation stemming from Bernie Madoff’s Ponzi scheme. With over 1,000 lawsuits filed and litigation in more than a dozen countries around the world, the firm has recovered more than $14.469 billion for the victims to date, and these unprecedented recovery efforts continue.
The firm also has a strong Privacy and Data Protection practice. Ranked by Vault as a Best Law Firm for Privacy & Data Security, the firm’s Digital Assets & Data Management team has handled the responses to many of the largest data security incidents over the past decade and the novel litigation and regulatory work that follows.
The firm has a homegrown innovation team created to develop solutions to help clients navigate the intersection of technology and the law. In 2016, BakerHostetler became the first BigLaw firm to adopt ROSS—an “A.I. lawyer that helps lawyers research faster and focus on clients”—specifically for its bankruptcy practice. The tool allows attorneys to pose questions to its AI function, which will return documents, case law, and other resources that could be helpful when considering tough legal questions.
Because of our historic investments in technology over the past decade, BakerHostetler was able to react quickly and moved to 100% remote work where we were able to continue recruiting virtually. By leveraging key technologies, candidates connected with leadership across the firm. We successfully launched and continue to grow new offices in San Francisco and Dallas despite the limitations on travel and in-person meetings. During the pandemic, we successfully onboarded new associates and partners across the country.
News & Awards
- Representing the SIPA Trustee in recovering funds lost in Bernie Madoff’s Ponzi scheme; an unprecedented $14.469 billion has been recovered to date. Litigation and recovery efforts are ongoing.
- Represented the Official Committee of Tort Claimants in the bankruptcy of Pacific Gas and Electric Company and PG&E Corporation, the sixth-largest bankruptcy in the U.S. and largest utility bankruptcy ever, ultimately procuring a $13.5 billion agreement on behalf of California wildfire victims.
- Served as Department of Justice-appointed monitor of Merrill Lynch in the massive investigation of the collapse of Enron.
- For 100 years, BakerHostetler has provided transactional, employment, and intellectual property counsel to Major League Baseball.
- “Powerhouse,” 2020—BTI Cybersecurity & Data Privacy
- Top Score of 100 on the Corporate Equality Index for LGBTQ Equality, 2020 and 2021—Human Rights Campaign
- 27 ranked practice areas and 142 ranked attorneys, 2021—The Legal 500
- 55 ranked practice areas and 134 recognized attorneys, 2021—Chambers USA
- Law Firm Diversity Champion (outside counsel diversity award), 2021—Facebook
Why Work Here
For more than a century, BakerHostetler has maintained an unwavering dedication to the highest standards of client service. With nearly 1,000 attorneys across 17 offices coast to coast, we provide sophisticated and innovative legal counsel. Leveraging the firm’s strong foundation, we opened offices in Dallas, San Francisco and Wilmington, Del., in 2020 – even amid the COVID-19 crisis.
Washington Square, Suite 1100
1050 Connecticut Avenue, NW
DC, WA 20036-5304
Phone: (202) 861-1500
Chairman: Paul M. Schmidt
Chief Practice Partner: Lauren J. Resnick
Total No. Attorneys (2021):
750 - 1K
No. of Partners Named 2021:
1st year: $175,000–$205,000
Summer Associate: First-year associate salary prorated
Director of Recruiting
General Recruiting Email: Recruiting@bakerlaw.com
No. of U.S. Offices: 17
No. of International Offices: 0
Costa Mesa, CA
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
San Francisco, CA
Washington, DC (HQ)
Digital Assets and Data Management
Labor and Employment
*See firm website for complete list of practice areas and industries.