At a Glance
A high-profile brand that stands out on the résumés of job seekers
There is plenty of room for advancement at Sony, a corporation that employs more than 168,000 workers across the globe
Sony operates a wide range of divisions so there is plenty to interest a variety of job hunters
Poor financial results of late create uncertainty among employees who fear future layoffs
With such a large company, it is easy for employees to get lost in the shuffle, even when they do good work
Sony Corporation remains a top destination for job seekers hoping for careers in entertainment, electronics, computers, music or video-game design.
About Sony Corporation of America
Sony Corporation of America (SCA) is a wholly owned subsidiary and the US headquarters of Japan's mighty Sony Corporation. Based in New York, SCA is made up of a number of global businesses that also have headquarters in the US, including Sony Electronics, Sony Pictures (film and TV production and distribution), Sony Music, Sony/ATV Music Publishing, Sony Interactive (video games), and Sony Mobile. SCA also includes Sony DADC, which offers media replication and manufacturing services, supply chain solutions (packaging and distribution), and software services. Sony Biotechnology, based in San Jose, California, conducts scientific research by analyzing cells using technology originally developed for the Blu-ray disc.
Sony Corporation of America's Sony Pictures is active in movie and TV production, TV networks, and digital content creation and distribution. It also operates studio facilities. Its Motion Picture Group includes the Columbia Pictures, Screen Gems, TriStar Pictures, Sony Pictures Animation, and Sony Pictures Classics film labels.
Sony Music houses several record labels, including Columbia Records, RCA, Epic, Arista Nashville, and Sony Classical. The company's Sony/ATV Music Publishing has a song catalog of more than 3 million copyrights, ranging from songs by iconic names including the Beatles, Bob Dylan, Michael Jackson, and the Rolling Stones to contemporary pop stars such as Taylor Swift, Pharrell Williams, Lady Gaga, and Kanye West.
Sony Interactive is responsible for the PlayStation brand and family of video game products, including hardware and software. Sony Electronics manufactures TVs, projectors, stereo equipment and other audio accessories as well as cameras, cell phones, and video game consoles. Sony Mobile primarily sells the Xperia smartphone line.
Sony Corporation of America's headquarters are in New York City. The company has operations across the US and Canada.
Intellectual property and original content is a key stepping stone for Sony Corporation of America's long-term growth as its parent company shifts its focus away from low-margin consumer electronics. It sees digital music streaming as a way to expand songwriter royalty revenues. As such, it made key content acquisitions in 2018, including EMI Music Publishing, which owns and administers more than 2 million songs, and a 39% stake in Peanuts Holdings, the company behind Snoopy and Charlie Brown.
Mergers and Acquisitions
Sony Corporation of America added to its music assets with the late 2018 purchase of some 60% of EMI Music Publishing for about $2.3 billion (it already owned the other 40%). EMI owns and administers more than 2 million songs. The music industry is seeing signs of a recovery as it turns to streaming services for revenue growth. With the EMI acquisition Sony is looking to leverage the value of the copyrights it holds as it makes direct deals with streaming services such as Spotify, Apple Music, Google Play, SoundCloud, and YouTube. EMI commands 15% of the music publishing industry; the combination makes Sony the industry leader with a market share of 26%.
The company also beefed up content offerings in 2018 with a $185 million deal to buy a 39% stake in Peanuts Holdings, the company behind Snoopy and Charlie Brown created by Charles M. Schulz, from DHX Media.
Sony formed Sony Corporation of America (SCA) in 1960. SCA expanded significantly in the late 1980s through two key purchases in US-based entertainment contents. In 1988 Sony acquired CBS Records, at the time the world’s largest record company, from CBS Inc. for $2 billion The following year it purchased Columbia Pictures for a whopping $3.4 billion from Coca-Cola and other investors. The Columbia acquisition was the largest up to that time of an American company by a Japanese firm. The two deals made Sony a major force in the entertainment industry.
25 Madison Ave FL 27
New York, NY 10010-8601
Phone: 1 (212) 833-8000
Employer Type: Privately Owned
EVP and General Counsel: Mark E. Khalil
EVP and CFO: Steven E. Kober
SVP Corporate Social Responsibility: Janice Pober
Employees (This Location): 250
Employees (All Locations): 33,234
New York, NY
Culver City, CA
Foster City, CA
San Jose, CA
Park Ridge, NJ
Woodcliff Lake, NJ