Skip to Main Content

About Agilent Technologies, Inc.

Products from Agilent Technologies have a measureable effect on the scientific world. A leading maker of scientific testing equipment, Agilent supplies a slew of analytical and measurement instruments, including gas and liquid chromatographs, mass spectrometers, spectroscopy, software and informatics, lab automation and robotics, vacuum technology and cell analysis. Its operations include products used in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, academic and government, chemical and energy, food, and environment and forensics markets. The company's domestic sales accounts for about a third of total revenue.

Operations

Agilent operates through three business segments: life sciences and applied markets, Agilent CrossLab, and diagnostics and genomics. 

The life sciences and applied markets business brings in more than 45% of Agilent's revenue by providing instruments and software that customers use to identify, quantify, and analyze the physical and biological properties of substances and products. Key products categories include: liquid chromatography systems and components; liquid chromatography mass spectometry systems; gas chromatography systems and components; flow cytometer; real-time cell analyzer; and many more. 

The Agilient CrossLab business accounts for nearly 40% of its business and offers products and services that span the entire lab. Solutions range from chemistries and supplies to services and software helping to connect all functions within the laboratory environment. Key product categories in consumables include GC and LC columns, sample preparation products, custom chemistries, and a large selection of laboratory instrument supplies. 

Diagnostics and genomics generates above 20% of Agilent's revenue from its genomics, nucleic acid contract manufacturing, pathology , companion diagnostics, reagent partnership, and biomolecular analysis businesses. This segment focuses primarily on the diagnostics and the clinical markets, mostly in North America, Western Europe, and Japan.

Overall, the products generate 75% of total revenue and services and other generates the remaining 25% of total revenue.

Geographic Reach

The US is Agilent's largest single geographic market, accounting for about 30% of sales. China, the only other country Agilent reports separately, accounts for more than 20%. Other international operations provide the remainder of revenue. The company has manufacturing and R&D facilities in the US, Europe (UK, Germany, Italy, Belgium, the Netherlands, and Denmark), Asia (China, Japan, Malaysia, and Singapore), and Australia. 

The company is based in Santa Clara, California.

Sales and Marketing

Agilent sells most of its products through direct sales, and also through resellers, distributors, manufacturer's representative and e-commerce channels. The company focuses on two types of customers—research customers, which include those in pharma and biotech, generics, contract research organizations (CROs), and contract manufacturing organizations (CMOs) and clinical customers, comprising high-complexity clinical testing labs and pathology labs. 

Agilent generates nearly 35% of sales from pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical, more than 20% from chemical and energy, some 15% from diagnostics and clinical, and the remaining 30% were from environmental and forensics, academia and government, and food industry.

The company's advertising costs were $48 million in 2020, $36 million in 2019 and $41 million in 2018.

Financial Performance

Agilent has maintained steady growth over the last five years with about a 20% increase to $5.3 billion in 2020 (ended October) from $4.2 billion in 2016, driven by stronger sales in each of the company's three segments. Acquisitions from 2019 had an overall favorable impact of 7% in 2020.

Agilent's net revenue of $5.3 billion in 2020 increased by 3% compared to $5.2 billion in 2019. Revenue in the life sciences and applied markets business increased by 4% in 2020 compared to 2019. Acquisitions had an overall favorable impact on revenue growth of 7%. Revenue in the diagnostics and genomics business increased 2% in 2020, driven by strong growth in its nucleic acid solutions and biomolecular analysis businesses partially offset by declines in its genomics business. Revenue in the Agilent CrossLab business increased by 3%.

Net income was $719 million in 2020, a decrease of 33% compared to net income of $1.1 billion in the prior year. Net income in 2020 was impacted by revenue declines in certain of its businesses associated with the COVID-19 pandemic and increased costs and expenses which included an impairment charge of $98 million related to the closure of its sequencer development program.

Cash at the end of fiscal 2020 was $1.5 billion, an increase of $59 million from the prior year. Cash from operations contributed about $921 million to the coffers, while investing activities used $147 million, mainly capital expenditures. Financing activites used another $717 million for dividends paid, issuance of senior notes, and the company's stock repurchase program.

Strategy

Agilent anticipates that it will continue to have significant research and development expenditures in order to maintain its competitive position with a continuing flow of innovative, high-quality products and services. Its research and development efforts focus on potential new products and product improvements covering a wide variety of technologies, none of which is individually significant to its operations. The company research seeks to improve on various technical competencies in software, systems and solutions, life sciences and diagnostics. In each of these research fields, it conducts research that is focused on specific product development for release in the short-term as well as other research that is intended to be the foundation for future products over a longer time-horizon. Agilent reported that it remains committed to investing significantly in research and development and focused its development efforts on key strategic opportunities to align its business with available markets and position itself to capture market share.

The company is also looking forward to expanding its product portfolio and applications by possible acquisitions, strategic investments and alliances.

Company Background

Agilent Technologies, a spin-off of Hewlett-Packard Company, broke records on Nov. 18, 1999 as the largest initial public offering (IPO) in Silicon Valley history. The US $2.1 billion raised from that IPO was a sharp contrast to the $538 in working capital that founders Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard began with in 1938. From a small garage in Palo Alto, California, to employees around the world serving customers in 110 countries, Agilent has a long history of innovation and leadership in the communications, electronics, semiconductor, test and measurement, life sciences and chemical analysis industries.

Agilent Technologies, Inc.

5301 Stevens Creek Blvd
Santa Clara, CA 95051-7201
Phone: 1 (800) 227-9770

Firm Stats

Employer Type: Publicly Owned
Stock Symbol: A
Stock Exchange: , NYSE
Chairman: Koh Boon Hwee
SVP and CFO: Didier Hirsch
President and CEO: Michael R. McMullen
Employees (This Location): 277
Employees (All Locations): 16,400

Major Office Locations

Santa Clara, CA

Other Locations

Tempe, AZ
Carpinteria, CA
Folsom, CA
La Jolla, CA
Newark, CA
Roseville, CA
Santa Clara, CA
Westlake Village, CA
Aurora, CO
Boulder, CO
Colorado Springs, CO
Wilmington, DE
Arlington Heights, IL
Chicago, IL
Andover, MA
Chicopee, MA
Lexington, MA
Budd Lake, NJ
New York, NY
North Kingstown, RI
Cedar Creek, TX
Everett, WA
Liberty Lake, WA
Renton, WA
Madison, WI
Chiyoda-Ku, Japan
Kobe, Japan
Minato-Ku, Japan
Osaka, Japan
Barueri, Brazil
Itapevi, Brazil
Nepean, Canada
Montpellier, France
Venissieux, France
Rolle, Switzerland

Competitors