Skip to Main Content

About Barracuda Networks, Inc.

Barracuda Networks hunts down network threats. The company provides firewalls that combine computer network hardware and software to protect enterprises from e-mail spam, viruses, and spyware. Other products include appliances for e-mail archiving, Web filtering, and load balancing. It serves businesses in industries such as consumer goods, financial services, manufacturing, retail, technology, and utilities. Barracuda also provides professional services, such as support, consulting, and implementation. Its extensive customer list has included Coca-Cola, FedEx, IBM, and Toshiba. In 2017 Barracuda agreed to be bought by private equity firm Thoma Bravo for $1.47 billion and go private.

Change in Company Type

With its sales to Thoma Bravo for about $1.47 billion, Barracuda Networks would become a private company. It joins Thoma Bravo's stable of software companies that include SolarWinds, Riverbed Technology, and Compuware. Barracuda plans to keeps its focus on developing software for email security and data protection. The deal is expected to close in early 2018.


About 70% of Barracuda's revenue comes from subscriptions for the company's cloud-based products. Appliance sales account for the other 30% of revenue. The company makes its appliance hardware at a facility in San Jose, California.

Geographic Reach

The company has four US offices and international locations in more than 15 countries across Asia and Europe, as well as in Brazil and the United Arab Emirates.

Sales and Marketing

Barracuda sells its appliances, services, and software through a direct sales force and a network of more than 5,000 resellers located in more than 100 countries. North America, however, is its largest market, accounting for about 75% of sales; the US alone generates 68% of sales.

Financial Performance

Barracuda's revenue increased 19% to $277.4 million in 2015 (ended February) compared to $233.8 million in 2014. A 19% increase in the number of subscribers drove subscription revenue higher; the company counted some 240,000 subscribers at the end of its 2015 fiscal year. Appliance revenue rose 16% aided by success in efforts to sell additional products to existing customers.

The company reported a loss of $67.5 million in 2015, which was deeper than the $3.6 million loss of 2014. In 2015, Barracuda had higher expenses in research and development and sales and marketing as well as a much bigger tax bill.

Cash flow from operations rose to $54 million in 2015 from $42 million in 2014.


The rapid evolution of Web technologies and the digital threats designed to undermine them require Barracuda to continually revamp and update its product line. The company started selling CudaDrive, a cloud file service which is delivered to desktops via virtual drive, as well as through mobile and Web applications. The product enables businesses to securely store, share, and get access to files stored in the Barracuda cloud from anywhere. The company charges by the amount of storage capacity with unlimited users rather than charging by seat or by user.

Mergers and Acquisitions

Barracuda acquired C2C, a provider of personal storage table file management, email archiving and information management solutions, for about $9.6 million in 2014. The acquisition of the UK-based C2C enables Barracuda to expand its archiving and information management product portfolio.

Company Background

Barracuda was founded in 2002 by President and CEO Dean Drako.

Barracuda Networks, Inc.

Campbell, CA 95008-6557
Phone: 1 (408) 342-5400


Employer Type: Publicly Owned
Chairman: Jeffry R. Allen
President, CEO, and Director: William Jenkins
SVP and General Manager, Security Business: Hatem Naguib
Employees (This Location): 225
Employees (All Locations): 1,490