About Northwestern Mutual Internship Program
Summer Internship Program
Northwestern Mutual provides personalized financial services and offers inventive solutions for individuals and business's insurance and financial needs.
An internship at Northwestern Mutual gives you valuable, real-world work experience to prepare you for a career at Northwestern Mutual or elsewhere, while building on your classroom learning. You have flexibility to pursue your studies while actually working, and you will be recognized and rewarded for your hard work both financially and through development opportunities. While you are able to run your own financial-advising practice as an intern, you won’t be alone. Training, mentors and role models will be there to guide you along the way.
Following training, you will be part of the network team located in offices around the country, working side-by-side with financial representatives and professional office staff. As a financial representative intern, you will meet with clients to find out their needs and goals, make recommendations for the appropriate insurance and investment products, and provide ongoing client service beyond the sale.
Students are able to earn stipend(s) and commissions. Annually 33 percent of interns are offered full-time positions upon graduation.
Specifically, you'll practice the personalized approach we use to offer financial solutions tailored to each client's individual needs. You'll follow these key steps in our process, working independently with guidance from experienced colleagues:
- Meet With Clients: You'll set up appointments to discuss your clients' current financial situation.
- Analyze the Client's Situation: Through extensive fact-finding, you'll uncover long-term goals that you will use to help determine your client's needs.
- Make Recommendations: After evaluating your client's current situation and goals, you'll determine what products can help fill their needs and present appropriate solutions to your client.
- Provide Ongoing Service: You'll continue to work with your clients beyond the close of the sale. Most financial representatives contact their clients twice per year to determine whether their needs have changed, and keep them aware of the resources available to them.
Typical students are juniors or seniors. Students work full-time in the summer and part-time in the school year. 50% of the interns are from the business school and 50% are from economics, social sciences, education and liberal arts.
You'll find that the Northwestern Mutual internship is more than a summer job. It's a truly meaningful experience that builds your business skills and helps clients achieve their hopes and dreams. With support from your network office, you'll work for yourself, but never by yourself.
The hands-on intern experience includes partnering with financial representatives who show you how it's done through mentoring and joint-work programs. Like your colleagues in the network office, you have ready access to the resources of the Northwestern Mutual, including:
- Number of Interns: 101 or more
- Compensation/Benefits: Academic Credit, Paid, Stipend
- Duration: 6 to 12 months
- Academic Level: College Sophomores, College Juniors, College Seniors, Recent College Graduates, Business School Students
- National (US)
Visit NM.com/careers where you can find your local office or start your application
Application Deadline: Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
Northwestern Mutual Internship
720 East Wisconsin Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53202