Telecommuters, also known as remote workers, don’t work in traditional office environments. Instead, they work from home or shared office spaces (some also work from cafés). And according to 51 percent of remote workers, no salary is high enough to tempt them to work in traditional office environments again. Given such a strong endorsement, could remote work be the right career option for you?
To help you find out, below we address the advantages and disadvantages of remote work. We round things off by providing you with an infographic with all the remote working statistics you could possibly want.
What are the Benefits of Remote Working?
- The dress code can be as casual as you like.
- No long commutes in the morning.
- You don’t have to deal with office politics or other time-wasters.
- You’re usually able to adapt the working hours to suit yourself. If you want to work until midnight so that you can take the morning off, that’s fine.
- You can work from anywhere in the world. If your idea of bliss is working on a beach in Bali, you can do that. As long as the work is done, your boss won’t mind.
- Access to a wider pool of jobs. With traditional work, you must find a job in the local area. With remote working, this is not an issue. Technology today allows employees to be spread across the globe with no productivity issues.
What are the Downsides of Remote Working?
- You must be extremely disciplined. There’s no boss micromanaging you and pushing you to get your work done.
- You might miss the companionship of being in an office environment.
- There’s not as much support. You can’t nip into the boss’s office quickly to ask for advice.
- Your family and friends might not understand that you’re not available whenever they drop by.
If you’re a disciplined person who prefers to work alone, you’ll love the freedom that telecommuting affords you. Think you have the right stuff? Then read more about this type of work below.
Raj Vardhman is the co-founder of GoRemotely.net. He is a WordPress virtuoso and white hat SEO expert with a passion for developing SEO strategies. His experience and work over the years have driven him to give other individuals lessons about taking control of their work and finding remote jobs.
Want to be found by top employers? Upload Your Resume
Join Gold to Unlock Company Reviews