The recent earthquake and tsunami in Japan have created a serious humanitarian crisis. Should you want to donate, this list will help you get started in choosing your charity. These resources include high-rated charities that are widely known, but by no means is this list a comprehensive one.
If you do wish to donate, please read and review the websites; many relief assistance groups are specific in whether they need money or material goods.
If you have information that is not included in this list, please feel free to share with us—either by email, on Facebook, Twitter, or in the comments field below.
- • Worldvision
- • RedCross.org -- Text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10 from your phone.
- • Habitat for Humanity
- • International Medical Corps
- • The Salvation Army -- To contribute to earthquake relief, text 'JAPAN' or 'QUAKE' to 80888 to make a $10 donation
- • Medicalteams.org
- • Doctors Without Borders
- • Mercy Corps
- • Operation USA
- • Save the Children -- Text "JAPAN" to 20222 to donate $10 (US Only, std message rates apply)
- • ShelterBox
- • Unicef
- • Google Crisis Response
Judy Chang, head of PayPal's nonprofit group, announced that transactional fees incurred by money transfers to US 501(c)(3) organizations (or charities registered with the Canada Revenue Agency) between March 11 and April 10 will aid relief efforts in Japan.
Explore.org is donating $1 for every "Like" of the Explore Dogs Facebook Page, up to $100,000. Note: That limit has already been met.
Want to be found by top employers? Upload Your Resume
Join Gold to Unlock Company Reviews