If we were to classify job occupations by gender, what would be the top picks for women?
While you might be tempted to pick communications and other more interpersonal skills-oriented job profiles, remember that women today make up more than half the active workforce, are graduating in almost equal numbers, and continue to enjoy higher median pay.
According to a new report by Forbes, there are 20 occupations today, where women now outnumber men. As you go through the list, there is one essential commonality that stands out: Most of these roles were once considered the epitome of male dominance across industries.
Organized by industry, then, in no particular order:
Finance (Accounting, Auditing, Insurance, Assurance, etc.)
- Accountants & Auditors (61.8%)
- Financial managers (54.7%)
- Insurance Underwriters (62.8%)
- Tax Examiners, Collectors and Revenue Agents (73.8%)
- Budget Analysts (59.3%)
- Tax Preparers (65.9%)
- Claims Adjusters, Appraisers, Examiners & Investigators (60.6%)
- Financial Specialists (66.6%)
- Meeting & Convention Planners (83.3%)
- HR Managers (66.8%)
- Advertising & Promotion Managers (56.5%)
- Elementary & Middle School Teachers (81.9%)
- Social & Community Service Managers (69.4%)
- Medical Scientists (56.9%)
- Veterinarians (61.2%)
- Psychologists (68.8%)
- Registered Nurses (92%)
- Medical & Health Services Managers (69.5%)
- Education Administrators (62.6%)
- Business Operations Specialists (68.4%)
Read more about what these job profiles involve, including profession reviews, salary data, Day in the Life(s), and Q&As with top professionals.
Want to be found by top employers? Upload Your Resume
Join Gold to Unlock Company Reviews