It's that time of year again to dust off your bucket list and brainstorm your goals for the new year. Whether it is a new exercise routine, goal to focus more on your friends and family, desire to use less electronics or something else, having resolutions is a valuable way to assess where you are and where you want to be. And when it comes to resolutions, there is no better area to consider than your career.
Below we have compiled resolutions for all stages of your career. Ring in 2020 with a clear head and the confidence to take your career where you want it to go.
- Resolve to narrow down your professional interests and start taking classes and doing internships to explore which is the right path for you.
- Resolve to develop your LinkedIn presence and begin making professional connections with alumni, family friends, and classmates.
- Resolve to make at least one new connection each week, and strive to have at least two informational interviews each month.
- Resolve to polish your resume, and make sure your cover letter is customized well-written, and error free.
- Resolve to keep pushing even if rejections are rolling in.
- Resolve to "think big" about your potential and find the position that is the best fit for your goals (even if that means taking a less desirable position first to eventually reach your desired endpoint).
Unhappy with Job
- Resolve to continue pumping out your best work and carrying yourself with professionalism despite your discontent.
- Resolve not to be complacent and instead determine what exactly makes you unhappy about your job—figure out if it can be changed or if a new job is needed.
- Resolve to make a change and not live in professional misery—whether that means sending out at least a few applications every week or speaking with your manager to fix issues at your current workplace.
Content with Job
- Resolve not to become complacent just because you are happy.
- Resolve to continue to find ways to challenge yourself at work and grow in your position.
- Resolve to continue making connections within your workplace and outside of it so that your network remains robust and isn't centered solely on your current workplace.
- Resolve to provide true mentorship to employees and get to know each one's goals and work style.
- Resolve to give everyone their review at the appropriate time and provide useful feedback so your reports can grow in their roles.
- Resolve to continue learning about new developments in your profession and continuing to grow, even if you are comfortable in your role.
- Resolve to share your experience with more junior workers but also keep an open mind to learn from them as well.
Make 2020 the best year of your career yet!
Want to be found by top employers? Upload Your Resume
Join Gold to Unlock Company Reviews