HR consultants also provide technical advice. This advice is largely based on number crunching, and those who excel at it are generally known as actuaries. Actuarial advice focuses on restructuring benefits packages and valuating compensation structures, among other technical assignments. Actuarial consultants must pass many certification exams throughout their careers to remain eligible to practice their trade.
Examples of typical human resources consulting engagements:
- Bringing together the cultures of merged companies by developing or altering work cultures
- "Managing relationships" to ensure focus on customers and open communication
- Building "competencies" through better and more efficient training programs
- Fostering employee creativity through "process innovation"
- Counseling and processing laid-off employees and assisting them in finding new jobs
- Creating or updating a new division's benefits package
- Reviewing and revising a law firm's compensation structure
Leading human resources consulting firms include:
- Hewitt Associates
- Towers Perrin
- Watson Wyatt Worldwide
- Mercer HR Consulting
Want to be found by top employers? Upload Your Resume
Join Gold to Unlock Company Reviews