Highlights Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP
GPS for the Financial Services Industry —Many know Schulte Roth & Zabel as the market-leading law firm in the alternative investment area: we helped pioneer the hedge fund industry over 40 years ago and today more of the world’s hedge funds (as measured by AUM) turn to SRZ than to any other law firm.
We are that and much more:
- As a full-service law firm for the financial services industry, we provide a multidisciplinary approach to a large and impressive
array of global and forward-thinking institutional, entrepreneurial
and individual clients.
- We serve our clients from strategically located offices in New York and London — the twin capitals of the finance world — and Washington, D.C. to better represent the interests of clients whose increased economic clout brings with it heightened regulatory scrutiny.
- Our specialties include business reorganization; distressed investing; employment & employee benefits; environmental; finance; individual client services; intellectual property, sourcing & technology; investment management; litigation; M&A; real estate; regulatory & compliance; securities & capital markets; structured products & derivatives; and tax.
- All SRZ Practices
Among the Best and the Brightest —SRZ and its attorneys are consistently recognized as the best in their fields. Some of our recent accolades include:
- Top tier rankings and recognitions in a number of annual industry publications (including Chambers USA, Chambers Global and Chambers UK; Legal 500 United States and Legal 500 UK; IFLR1000; and Benchmark: Litigation).
- “First-tier” national and metropolitan-area rankings in 22 practice areas (U.S. News – Best Lawyers).
- “Best Onshore Law Firm 2012” (HFMWeek US Hedge Fund Services Awards).
- “Law Firm Tax 100” (2013 Tax Directors Handbook’s list of the world’s top law firms by number of tax lawyers).
- Multiple “Deals of the Year” (Global M&A Networks): Morton’s Restaurant Group Inc.’s acquisition by affiliates of Tilman J. Fertitta — “Americas Industry Real Estate Hospitality Deal of the Year;” Charming Shoppes Inc.’s $890 million acquisition by Ascena Retail Group Inc. — “North American Large Corporate Deal of the Year” and The M&A Advisor’s “Corporate/Strategic Acquisition of the Year” (over $500 million); Cerberus Capital Management LP’s acquisition of AT&T’s Yellow Pages – Advertising Solutions and AT&T Interactive Businesses — “North America Large Private Equity Deal of the Year;” and the Innkeepers USA Trust Chapter 11 reorganization and sale — “Special Situation M&A Deal of the Year” (above $750 million).
- “Leading Law Firm for New Fund Launches” (Hedge Fund Journal).
- “Top 15 Investor Counsel for Private Equity M&A Deals” (The American Lawyer)
- “Top Law Firm for PIPEs Investors in the U.S. Market” by PrivateRaise and PlacementTracker.
- More SRZ Recognitions
Complexity Clarified — If the problems were simple, our clients wouldn’t need to come to us. We combine leading edge legal expertise with business experience and a fundamental commercial approach to deliver uniquely effective strategies that address our client’s complex problems in achieving their business and investment objectives. Many examples of the firm's representations can be found on the firm website and in the firm's annual reports.
Doing Well by Doing Good — SRZ is widely recognized and often awarded for its pro bono representations, which focus on both litigation and transactional work:
- We believe every attorney has a professional responsibility to handle pro bono matters, and we strive to create and sustain an environment that encourages pro bono service in each of our practice areas.
- We do not distinguish in any respect between pro bono cases and other firm matters.
- Recent pro bono representations include advising on the high-profile class action lawsuit alleging that New York State has failed to provide adequate counsel to indigent criminal defendants and assisting the Innocence Project in its history-making attempt to gain the posthumous exoneration of an executed Texas man.
You'll Fall for our Summer Program — There is no substitute for hands-on experience. Our summer associate program allows students to receive substantive assignments from practice groups of their choice during two assigning periods. Summer associates will have interaction with our clients, attend meetings and depositions and work on complex projects. We also place each summer in a week-long pro bono internship, where students work with one of our long-standing pro bono client organizations. Summer associates participate in an M&A negotiation workshop and a trial advocacy workshop. These experiences are all designed to allow students to explore various areas of interest, get immersed in the firm culture and gain first-hand knowledge of what they will see as a junior associate.
In addition to our top notch training programs and hands-on work experience, we offer fun and exciting social activities. The 2012 summer program featured events such as a luxury box at a Yankee game, go-karting, Shakespeare in Central Park, a cooking class, a pre-release showing of the summer blockbuster movie and a Broadway show — just to name a few. These social activities allow summer associates to spend time with their associate and partner mentors, develop relationships with our attorneys and get to know everyone outside of the office. Our summer program is consistently ranked among the best in The American Lawyer (#7 in 2012) and also among the most "fun" programs in The Vault.
Most importantly, our summer associates leave with a realistic sense of what associate life at SRZ is all about. Find out more information by visiting our careers site.
Fully Committed to Fostering Your Growth — Our career development and education programs for substantive areas of the law, as well as for overall business development, and the commitment of partners to mentoring-type projects, all demonstrate our full concern for associates as individuals, as developing lawyers, and as people who will ultimately be quite successful.
- We provide our associates with training to prepare them to handle early substantive responsibility and client contact.
- As an accredited provider of continuing legal education in New York, the firm also offers a large number and wide variety of CLE programs (146 in 2012) featuring nationally recognized experts.
- Attorneys are encouraged, at firm expense, to attend outside seminars sponsored by bar associations and private continuing legal education providers. The firm pays all costs incurred in connection with attendance at approved continuing legal education programs.