Executive Q&A from Clifford Chance US LLP
1. How long do interviews take, and with whom will I be meeting?
Generally, you will meet individually with two partners and two or three associates, depending on whether you join us for lunch. Each interview lasts for 30 minutes. If you have a morning interview and join us for lunch, you should expect to be here for a total of 3 1/2- 4 hours.
2. Can I ask to meet with people from a certain practice area?
Yes. If there's a practice group that you are interested in, we want to know about it. We'll do whatever we can to ensure you visit with attorneys in that group.
3. How long after my callback interview should I expect to hear from the firm?
Our Hiring Committee tries to make decisions as soon as possible, at least within two weeks. Many candidates hear back from us soon.
4. Do summer associates work with one practice group, or do they rotate through practice areas?
Summer associates receive assignments from all practice groups to make their experience here as broad and enriching as possible.
5. Are summer associates assigned mentors?
Yes. Each summer associate has a partner and associate mentor as well as an officemate.
6. How many summer associates did your offices have last summer and how many of those summers received offers?
All of our 42 summer associates in 2006 received an offer.
7. What types of assignments do summer associates receive?
Summer associates can expect to work on a broad range of assignments such as conducting legal research, assisting with corporate closings and securities filings, conducting fact investigations and analyses, handling pro bono matters, participating in client meetings, and attending depositions and court hearings. We also have specialized deposition, negotiation, and diversity training sessions.
8. Can I split my summer with another Clifford Chance office in the US or internationally?
Generally, a limited number of our New York summer associates spend a few weeks working exclusively with the US Securities Group in our London office. In the past, summer associates have spent time in more than one of our US offices. Summer splits between Clifford Chance offices are determined on an ad hoc basis.
9. Can I split my summer with another firm?
We don't object to such a split but we require summer associates to spend the first 10 weeks of their summer at Clifford Chance.
10. What should I wear to an interview?
While our offices are business casual, most recruits prefer to wear business attire to their interviews.
I hope you will visit our website at cliffordchance.com/usrecruiting for more information about Clifford Chance.