Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
VAULT RANKINGS 2013
• "Great social culture"
• "High-quality work with some of the best lawyers in town"
• "A true meritocracy"
• "Partnership is practically a pipe dream"
• "Pay not tied to performance"
• "Being on call all the time"
ABOUT THIS COMPANY:
A powerhouse in restructuring, M&A, private equity and litigation, Weil, Gotshal & Manges has long been one of the world’s leading law firms. Buoyed by its role as the go-to bankruptcy firm, Weil has been a fixture at the top of law firm rankings, including The American Lawyer’s “A-List” and Chambers USA.
To New York and Beyond
Weil was founded in New York in 1931 and now overlooks the City’s playground, Central Park, from its Fifth Avenue office.Become a Gold Member or Log in to read the entire Scoop
From the Community
Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP Perspective
Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP HIGHLIGHTS
• At Weil, we recognize that one of the most important components of an associate's career is his/her professional development. We are committed to providing exceptional training for associates and offer numerous programs each year beginning with New Associate Orientation.
• Throughout the year, each of the Firm’s practice departments conducts a series of training programs designed to introduce new associates to its particular needs and substantive legal practice areas. Over 200 in-house training programs and workshops are conducted annually, including Litigation Skills (Deposition, Direct/Cross Examination, and Evidence), Business Finance & Restructuring Skills, Management and Delegation, and Business Development Skills.
YOUR CAREER AT Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
Weil has approximately 1,200 lawyers in 20 offices in the United States, Europe, and Asia. Weil’s elite status among international law firms owes greatly to the extraordinary balance it maintains, both in its geographic reach as well as its diversity of highly regarded practice areas. The firm’s client roster includes leading companies in a broad range of industries on a global basis. The Firm’s culture places great value on developing a highly collaborative workplace where client relationships span several offices and practice groups, enabling the firm’s lawyers to address and resolve complex legal problems from a broad, interdisciplinary perspective.
Q&A WITH Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
How Are Associates Evaluated?
What could be more important than providing associates with thorough and timely feedback regarding performance? Here's how it works: the firm will conduct two reviews of associates each year—a mid-year review in June/July, and a year-end review.
Reviews focus on performance in the following categories:
• Substantive legal knowledge
• Analytical skills
• Written and oral communication skills