Vanderbilt Law School
Vanderbilt University

4.6 of 5 stars Overall Student Rating (117 Student Reviews)

Date: 2011

Academics at Vanderbilt are awesome. Due to a small class size, the school is able to reduce our class sizes down, and even in our largest classes, some professors have memorized all of our names. The first year has been great and all of our faculty is extremely accessible. Grading is fair and done on a bell curve system. Teachers use the Socratic method in various ways but are usually very gentle if a student does not have the answer correct.

The facilities at Vanderbilt were one major factor in my decision to attend. The classrooms are great and the library has plenty of seating as well as extremely helpful staff. The cost of living is slightly more than my undergraduate city, but it is still much more affordable than a big city would be. Campus is a natural arboretum and is beautiful to walk around during the day.

Comments

I took the LSAT during my finals week at the end of my junior year. I took the LSAT only one time and then submitted my information to Vanderbilt and other schools. Vanderbilt required 3 specialized essays for the potential to earn a full scholarship. I was offered some scholarship money later in the process, 2-3 months after being accepted. There were no unique questions asked of me during my application process that I do not remember. I also had an interview with the admissions staff prior to submitting my application

Date: 2011

Lots of excellent, really likeable professors. Broad range of class choices.

I can't imagine a law school having a better quality of life than Vanderbilt. Nashville's a laid back, easy to live in city, which is key for law school. Costs are fairly low, the weather is nice. It's just a great, fun, happy place to go to school.

Date: 2011

The academics at the school were first rate across the board. I thought that the first year was not nearly as intimidating as advertised and the class sizes were appropriate. I never felt the cut-throat competitiveness that everyone associates with law school and could not imagine a more welcome environment to learn.

The reason why I chose Vanderbilt is because of its reputation for quality of life. I can honestly say that it did not disappoint. From the facilities to the surrounding area, I can't imagine a better place to attend law school. If you can't be happy attending law school at Vanderbilt, then you will not be happy attending at any law school.

Comments

The admissions process is standard for any selective law school and financial aid was available and fair.

Date: 2011

Staple classes, including most 1L classes, are generally about 80 students. Specialized classes, including legal writing, are much smaller, anywhere from 10 to 50 students. All of the professors, whether full-time tenured faculty or local practicioners teaching about their specialty, are very accessible and approchable. They not only answer questions about the callses they teach, they also help students find opportunities in their areas of interest. The Vanderbilt in Venice program is a great opportunity for some extra summer courses in a small setting. Externships are easy to set-up through the school, both for local Nashville positions and abroad. The student body is generally known for its friendliness. Students encourage each other to do better, rather than trying to beat each other in a comptetive manner. Study groups are common and effective.

Cost of living in Nashville is decent. You can find very cheap or very expensive, all within an easy distance of the law school. Vanderbilt University has several great library facilities and they are all open to all University students. The main library is particularly nice. The on-campus dining is fabulous, especially at The Commons, a healty, environment-focused dining hall. Law students can purchase meal plans to be able to eat on campus. There's also a number of restaurants within walking distance of the law school, some of which will accept Vandy cash (held on your student id with a meal plan) for payment. The campus is generally upbeat and never has a stressed-out feel. It's beautiful, and the squirrels are super cute. The law school building itself is very nice, lots of natural light, including in the classrooms. Furniture is comfortable and there are plenty of power outlets.

Comments

Vanderbilt used the LSAC system so that everything could be submitted together, LSAT score, essay and application. I believe letters of recommendation were sent in separately by the recommenders, though I may not be remembering that correctly.

Date: 2011

Teaching supports the outstanding academics at Vanderbilt, and the classroom environment resonates to other areas of the law school experience. The classes are more theoretical than practical, but include "the theory of practice," if you will--informing the students what they should expect in the real world. The theory-based teaching is noticeable if you look at the bios of our professors. Short courses, seminars, and clinics provide the opportunity for real world experience.

It's simply outstanding; there's nothing else to say. Friendly and collegial environment, mixed with top-notch facilities and events. Nashville is a great city to go to graduate school in, and Vanderbilt's presence there takes the edge off often stressful law school.

Comments

Very standard.

Date: 2011

Vanderbilt Law does as good of a job as it can given the constraints placed upon it by employers and the ABA. By that I mean that there was a push a few years ago to experiment more with a modernization of the law school curriculum (which, universally across law schools, is antiquated by a century), but there was too much of a push-back. Therefore any criticisms I have are focused more on pedagogical practices that are not unique to Vanderbilt.

The quality of life is great. The area is safe, relatively inexpensive, and the facilities are excellent. Dining options on campus are limited for graduate students, but there are plenty of off-campus options nearby.

Comments

Apart from all the standard admissions criteria, Vanderbilt puts a premium on maintaining a collaborative and friendly atmosphere at the school, and so has instituted an optional interview program. I applied before this program was instituted, but had the opportunity to meet some of the admissions staff at a law school fair, and I believe the fact that they thought I would fit in well with this culture is a big reason why I received the excellent scholarship package I did. I've participated in the interview program as an alum, and I think it does a good job of highlighting those students who have intangibles that an LSAT score or GPA can't measure, intangibles which, in a shrinking legal market, will only become more valuable in distinguishing hireable graduates from the rest of the pack.

Date: 2011

Comments

Very disappointed with financial aid.

Date: 2011

The class sizes were fairly large, though I usually didn't mind. Most professors used a softened form of the Socratic method. Vanderbilt was competitive but congenial. My peers were clearly brilliant but rarely cutthroat. Since it sends students to many jurisdictions, Vanderbilt hardly ever teaches substantive law, which I feel is a failing common to top tier schools. However, its fine legal clinic programs helped ameliorate some of that deficiency.

Cost of living in Nashville was low to moderate. Campus is very pretty, though I rarely left the law school. The physical facilities of the law school are absolutely top rate. Nashville itself was a big selling point for me. It's a good size city, but not huge, and has a lot to offer.

Comments

Vanderbilt's admissions process in 2005 was much like other universities. While it has done away with the program now, at the time Vanderbilt offered early acceptance, which I chose because I wanted to ultimately work in Nashville and it was the best pick for that market.

Low cost of living

Date: 2011

Classes vary. Some are intense, and taught by fantastic professors. Others are easier and/or much less interesting. Grading varies by professor, although most seem to follow the curve. Most classes are small 25-50 people I would estimate, which is really nice. Professors are constantly sending out emails for research assistants, so there are lots of opportunities.

Nashville is slightly more expensive than I would have expected, but you can finder cheaper apartments if you really hunt on Craigslist or are willing to live further out. Our facilities are fantastic, having just been renovated a few years ago. Nashville is a very safe city. People generally seem quite happy. We work hard, but we play hard too.

Comments

It has been so long since I applied that I cannot remember.