Law School Review

November 2017 | CURRENT STUDENT

There is a vey collegial atmosphere amongst students and the professors are very supportive of learning and student success.

The building is relatively outdated which leads to less-than-stellar facilities.

Comments

If you plan to practice in Wisconsin, you can't get more bang for your buck and diploma privilege is great.

Excellent. Campus has great facilities for studying (Law School library is fantastic), plenty of activities and entertainment within a stone's throw, and a high-quality learning environment.

Great combination of theory and practice, with implementation of "Law in Action" concept throughout the curriculum.

Has focus on diversity and desire to come to Wisconsin.

I came to Wisconsin for its clinical programs and I was not disappointed! Wisconsin offers a broad array of clinical programs ranging from the Innocent Project, in which students navigate the criminal justice system to exonerate wrongly-accused inmates on death row, to the brand new Entrepreneurship Clinic, in which students help entrepreneurs bring their ideas into the marketplace by helping them with issues ranging from corporate structure and business planning, to intellectual property. I decided to take advantage of the clinical programs right away - at the beginning of my 1L year, I joined the Unemployment Appeals Clinic and started representing employees at administrative law hearings here in Madison. Having this opportunity to counsel clients and speak in front of administrative law judges during my very first year of law school was incredible; it actually shaped the rest of my law school career because it piqued my interest in civil litigation. After my 1L year, I applied for and obtained a position with the Neighborhood Law Project, one of the civil litigation clinics within the Economic Justice Institute. My work with NLP is what I am most proud of, and most thankful for as I graduate and enter the practice of law and it is an experience that I may not have had at any other law school.

I absolutely love the city of Madison. It is an incredibly vibrant and active place to live (it is impossible to be bored here!), yet it is very accessible. I lived in the NYC area before moving to Madison so I was ready for something a little smaller but I didn't want to give up great restaurants, music, and night life. For me, Madison was the perfect compromise. Also, as the state capitol, Madison provides law students with easy access to the Supreme Court, government internships, and other unique opportunities that would be much harder to get outside the city of Madison. As you've probably seen on the news lately, the Madison community is also politically active and socially progressive, which makes it a very interesting place to study and practice law.

The admissions process is pretty standard: personal statement, LSAT, CAS report, scholarship application, letters of recommendation, etc. There are limited scholarship opportunities.

The primary reason I chose the school is the location. I think Madison is a great college town. There are not very many top schools that have as good as a college town feel besides Ann Arbor and Austin. It is cheaper than most cities, there is great food, and there is hardly any crime.

Great scholarship opportunities at our law school. It is one of the primary reasons I chose to attend the school.

UW Law School is a champion of the "law in action" method of learning the law, which emphasizes policy implications and practical applications. In other words, students learn not only legal theory but also legal practice, which students can directly apply in many of the clinics offered by the law school. In addition, because the law school is located in the State Capital, there are many opportunities for students to intern/extern for state and federal judges, state legislators, and others. For me, I interned for a state trial judge and found it to be an invaluable learning experience.

Personally, I loved life in Madison. It is the epitome of a collegetown.

Because of the relatively low tuition rate for in and out-of-state students, and because the law school only admits about 30-40% students from out-of-state, UW Law School is very selective for out-of-staters like myself.

We have a strong focus on practical education. We have among the very best clinical programs that have been very successful in serving the community and our clients. While traditionally we have excelled in criminal matters, the school's new business law initiative and entrepreneurship clinic should help advance our standing in the business law arena and provide link between the UW's impressive graduate and professional programs.

I can't recall.

1L classes were a mix of pure lecture utilizing the Socratic method and interactive coursework. 2L and 3L courses had small class sizes. Classroom dynamics were very interactive and engaging. Excellent upper-level course faculty. The coursework is a healthy combination of theory and practical study. The law school prides itself on the foundation of its educational focus: Law in Action.

I lived in an apartment approximately one mile from the law building. The rent was approximately $750/month for a one-bedroom apartment in a building that is perhaps 20 years old. I felt safe in the neighborhood. There are tons of restaurants within walking distance of the school, as well as a small grocery store. Overall, I was very happy with my living arrangements in Madison.

LSAT, application including essay questions, GPA, life experience were all factors taken into consideration, I believe. Financial aid was available, I have heard people applied for/received scholarships, but I was unaware of them when I applied.

From 1L on, I found the faculty to be very accessible. They were willing to meet both during and outside of office hours, and happy to talk about both class and other subjects. Although my law school offered few classes in my area of interest, I found several other faculty who were willing to explore the area, or to supervise directed research.

Emphasis on clinical hands-on experience with a strong classroom component.

Facilities could use some work on the actual law school campus, but Madison and the university overall are ideal places to attend school.

Arduos.