law

February 2016 | FORMER STUDENT

I liked the Professors and their willingness to interact with the students, both during and after hours.

I found the location of the campus to be in a bad neighborhood. I also found the campus to be too small.

Comments

I thought the education prepared you well for the practice of law in California

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The classes are very difficult and intense in the teaching and curriculum. The class sizes are reasonable and professors are always available to discuss the material. The Socratic method is implemented with care and students never feel like they are being picked on or degraded. The competitive environment on campus is not uncomfortable; students will always help one another, even if they are in the same class or vying for the same grade. Our study abroad program in Salzburg, Austria offers a course with Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy; I don't think any other school has that!

The cost of living on campus is very reasonable compared to the surrounding community and the dorm area is right on the campus, so walking to classes or meetings is very easy. The facilities on campus are new and welcoming, the library is open late and the dining menu is wonderful. Our safety is fantastic; we have public safety officers patrolling the campus 24/7. I am extremely happy at McGeorge.

For UOP McGeorge, we are asked to apply through LSDAS with our LSAT, application and letters of recommendation. There are extensive scholarship and financial aid opportunities.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

McGeorge has a number of notable faculty members who have published text books and study guides used throughout the nation, including other law schools such as Harvard and Stanford. McGeorge strives to produce practice-ready attorneys. The on-campus clinics and Greensheets division of the McGeorge Law Review present unique opportunities to students.

On-campus housing is great. The campus is beautiful. The surrounding neighborhood is not the best, but public safety officers patrol the campus 24 hours per day, and I have never felt unsafe on campus. The library is under construction and will be great when finished. Community relations are great. Overall, it is the best atmosphere I could have hoped for at a law school.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The school mixes theory and practical study by inviting practioners into classes to speak. There are also extensive clinic and externships programs.
The study abroad program in Salzburg is not only fun and educational, but gives students the opportunity to take classes from Justice Kennedy!
Greensheets is a legislative law review that publishes student written articles. It is a great opportunity to have work published and become familiar with legislation in California. Being in the state capitol makes the Legislature very accessible.

The campus contains only the law school, so everyone is geared toward the study of law. The campus has a close, comforting feel. Students hang out on the grassy quad together in good weather. Often I will see a group of students playing games on the quad or having picnics.
The law school staff are always helpful and remember students (everyone from the man in the cafeteria to the receptionist for the Dean of Students greets me by name).
Campus Security is such a consistent presence that I have never felt unsafe on campus.
The law school is very involved with the community. Last week a group of students, teachers and staff volunteered at the Sacramento Food Bank together. The school sponsors public health and safety days for the community and even sponsors a Little League Team!
The school is renovating the library and it will be finished next year. The new library is going to be beautiful! The school has done a very good job of not letting the construction be loud or distracting. I have hardly noticed that there is construction on campus!

Great academic scholarships offered to first year students! The school also awards a large number of first year students the "Book Scholarship" so all textbooks for the first year are free from the campus bookstore.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The quality of classes at McGeorge are exceptional! The professors are amazing and the students are very alert and prepared. The Socratic method is widely used. At McGeorge, there is a perfect balance of theory and practical study. The professors teach theory, but make sure to give practical examples. Furthermore, McGeorge has an exceptional number of opportunities for students to be involved in the practical application of the law. There are externships, internships, clinics, moot court and mock trial teams, and many more.
Class sizes vary. During first year, the classes are divided by sections and can have 80 people in a full class such as torts. Others are divided in half, such as property was for me. During second and third year the classes tend to decrease in size because of the options available for classes.
The academic advising is very helpful at McGeorge and they even go so far as to have an optional Academic Success class for first year students, which is very beneficial. Workload is manageable as long as students have time-management skills. There are also wonderful study abroad opportunities for students in the summers and during the school year. Salsburg is a notable program where Supreme Court Justice Kennedy teaches one of the classes there.

McGeorge allows for uniqueness within the student essays. LSAT scores are generally above average along with good GPA scores. The financial aid and scholarship opportunities at McGeorge are wonderful. The Financial Aid Office is incredible and always willing to help get loans and help you apply for more scholarships. Furthermore, the school is very good about giving a number of scholarships to incoming and continuing students annually.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

All of the teachers are very knowledgeable in the classes that they teach. Many of the teachers have done outside research on the subjects, and some have even written casebooks. First year classes are fairly large but the teachers make themselves available after class and hold office hours for any questions that were not answered. Some teachers are more Socratic than others, but with or without the Socratic method, all of the teachers do their best to engage students in the discussion about the topic being discovered. While everyone is striving to do their best, the students are very friendly and not very outwardly competitive. One unique program is academic success where two teachers teach you how to be a law school student, how to brief cases, take notes, take law school exams, etc. We also have the opportunity to learn how to do legal research and writing in our first and second year. We are taught how to use ALWD and bluebook, and how to research using online and print sources.

The quality of life at the school is high, since it is a 13 acre campus, there are multiple buildings at the school, including a student center with a cafeteria, library, computer lab, and multiple classrooms. The public safety is great, you can always see them driving around campus and the surrounding neighborhoods. They send out monthly emails regarding any on campus incidents that students should be aware of. The students seem generally happy with the quality of the school and its professors.

Uses LSAC to gather letters of recommendation, LSAT scores, resume, and personal statement. From these items, the school determines if they want to offer you a scholarship. And you also use FAFSA to apply for financial aid.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The professors really challenge us here at Pacific McGeorge. Each professor has their own way of using the Socratic Method. Some call at random, some pick five student and stay with them for most of the class, so pick according to sections in the classroom. The professors are also really great with having an open door policy when it comes to first year students. They really make themselves accessible to the students. It is also nice to be using supplements in class that have been written by the Pacific McGeorge faculty.

Cost of living is inexpensive compared to the rest of California. We have a huge 13.5 acre campus, tons of trees, beautiful weather (except for July and August), the food on campus is alright, the neighborhoods around Sacramento where students live are mostly great. The campus is really safe, we have security that patrols the campus 24/7/365. Most students here at McGeorge are overall very happy with being here. People here do not rip pages out of books or hide notes. There is a very collegial feel here at the law school.

The admissions committee takes all aspects of an applicant's application into account when deciding who to admit into the incoming law school class. They look at LSAT numbers, undergrad GPA, GPA from a student who has a masters or other degree of higher learning. They look at a student's personal statement, as well as how active they were during their undergraduate years, as well as the life experiences an applicant has had prior to coming to law school. The law school tries to make each incoming class a well rounded one; one that appreciates diversity brings in students from all walks of life and experiences.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Our school is unique because all the topics that are tested on the CA Bar Exam are mandatory to our students. Not all law schools are organized like this, and it is because of this requirement that we have a high bar passage rate. The faculty and staff our all very accessible and willing to help the students. Professors generally utilize the Socratic method and inspire their students rather than belittle them. Similar to most law schools, the workload is heavy, but manageable. We are known for our international law program (nationally ranked) and advocacy programs. Our courses are practical, which eases the transition after one graduates. Our faculty are well-recognized and have written coursebooks that are used by law students all over the nation. Our most notable study abroad program is in Salzburg, Austria that is taught by US Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy, a former McGeorge professor.

Our campus is 13-acres, which is great because we are not restricted to one building. The cost of living in Sacramento is relatively low. Like all urban cities, there are good and bad parts in Sacramento, but the campus itself is safe. Our dean lives on campus and we have 24-hour campus security. Sacramento has a small legal community, and McGeorge is the only ABA accredited law school in Sacramento. Thus, firms more than willing to recruit from our school. We have plenty of activities for students to become actively involved (IM sports, Moot Court Team, Mock Trial Team, Law Review, student organizations). We our currently remodeling our library, which is expected to be finished by Fall 2010.

The admissions process was pretty standard (LSAT, personal statement, employment experience, resume, ). Letters of recommendation are not required, but are considered if you submit them. I felt that the school focused not so much on the numbers, but actually took the time to read your personal statement. Personally, my LSAT was not very high, but I had a high GPA. The admissions committee kept me updated on my status (I was wait-listed for a while), and the Dean of Admissions personally called me to speak to me about my personal statement. I thought that they really looked beyond my numbers and really tried to get to know me as a person.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

excellent, great on-campus housing, good community relations/outreach, campus safety is effective, dining during the week is adequate

Essay, LSAT, Financial Aid, the normal stuff

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The classes are wonderfully engaging despite large class sizes; they feel much smaller than they are. The socratic method here is challenging, but not intimidating. Many of the faculty members have written casebooks and supplements on their subjects.

Very good--this is only a law school, so everyone around is connect to law. The community is great.

LSAC/LSDAS is a helpful resource for applying to law schools from one main online location. The LSAT was painful for me personally; I would highly recommend a prep course to future students. I think it would have helped me. McGeorge emphasizes commitment to studies more than student statistics, however, which is refreshing.