Best Choice

July 2016 | CURRENT STUDENT

Environment (quality of teaching and peers)
People
Location (close to Downtown LA)
Opportunities (on and off campus)
Alumni Network

The law school building is grey and unattractive.
Housing is pricy

Comments

The job opportunities are incredible.
People really want to help you.

Fantastic Place to Be

Great merit scholarships

Los Angeles Location
The rather atrocious building
Occasional administrative bureaucracy

Comments

Law school isn't the most fun experience, but USC is truly a fantastic place to do it, with fantastic people and fantastic weather.

Some classes employ the Socratic method, others are problem method. Some teachers emphasize theory/policy, some emphasize practicality. There is a lot of academic support. Classes are small. The students are collaborative and not overly competitive. Grading is on a curve. Many professors have been teaching the classes for many years and are prominent in the field.

There is a large range of housing options.Many first year students elect to live close to campus. The library has great hours and resources. There is a courtroom and three computer labs. I feel very safe on campus because there is a lot of security. Students are generally very happy.

LSAT score, essays, application fee

LA is expensive, but you can't beat the culture, weather and nightlife, so it's worth it. I moved to LA from Michigan for law school not knowing what expect and now I'm here permanently, so I think that says a lot about the big picture. The campus is great, though the law school itself leaves something to be desired. Supposedly the school is working on a plan to build a new joint business/law school in the near future. The library, moot court room and cafe are brand new though.

All of the students are very bright and engaged. Everyone is motivated to learn. That said, the environment is collegial, not competitive. People are friends and everyone is open. The faculty is extremely accessible - your teachers will know you by name, most will have you to their homes or do lunches with you, etc. Most 1L classes use Socratic method, but to varying degrees (tends to be more popular among older professors) and it definitely gets more relaxed 2nd semester of the 1L year. Strong emphasis on both theory and cases. Writing program is absolutely amazing - arguably the best at a top 20 school.

Cost of living is typical for a large city, but better than NY. The campus is gorgeous. Libraries on campus are good, but not great. COmputer lab is great. Courtroom is great. Dining at the law school is okay, but lots of other options since the law school is actually on the main campus unlike some schools. Law school has its own security guards so it's safe and you park in a locked structure so your vehicle is safe as well. Everyone seems really happy - hard not to be happy in beautiful Southern California!

Strong LSAT and GPA will get you in; if you are just okay on numbers, a great personal statement that is detailed and really gets at who you are will give you a good shot. if you have good numbers and a great persoanl statement, you'll probably get a good scholarship.

USC offers the whole package. Incredible faculty, small class sizes, a well-balanced curriculum, a broad array of extracurricular and research opportunities, constant mentorship and academic advising, and a highly inquisitive and diverse student body that further enrich the academic experience.

The facilities at USC are definitely well-loved. From the outside, the law school building is a Brutalist structure that doesn't do much on the eyes, but all of the classrooms are outfitted with the newest technology--I have been in in-class video conferences with speakers from abroad and can request class recordings whenever I'm out. Technology support at the law school is unlike anything I've experienced--the school employs several full-time tech support staff, and I actually had my laptop repaired for no charge. The library was recently renovated and has comfortable chairs for the many hours of studying you will be doing in law school. The community around SC, which is lower income, allows for many service opportunities. You can find any kind of entertainment or dining at or around USC--the wider campus community offers an array of opportunities, and downtown LA is a short trip up Figueroa.

USC's admissions process is very smooth. While they do want a personal statement and an additional essay, both are very short and reasonable as compared to other schools that want a novel. In general, the application itself is very concise. I was notified of my acceptance almost immediately--within 2 weeks of applying--which I really appreciated considering the admissions process can be very stressful. The support from the admissions staff is great as well.

The professors are all incredibly kind and accessible. They're all willing to take the time to meet with you and will generally bend over backwards to fit into your schedule. They also host groups of students for lunch at school, some even have students come to their homes. I spent a great Saturday hiking with one professor and his family, and my torts professor hosted several movie nights for our whole class.
There are great clinics available to give students the opportunity to represent clients as early as the first summer. And the clinics pay!
One thing that also surprised me is how much support USC offers. There are peer mentors assigned to every small section of 17 or so students. They give you advice on everything from how to make an outline to the best place for Italian food in Santa Monica. Then there are ASSIST tutors who are available 24/7 to help with any academic issues. Plus there is a staff of advisers willing to discuss academic issues as well. Law school could easily be a place where you simply sink or swim. USC is not like that. Everyone gets help, more than you could imagine.

Living in Terrace (the law student housing) is great. It's nice to meet other people and live close to school, especially on critical paper due dates. The campus is gorgeous, though the law school building itself is more like a dungeon than a place of learning. However, the palm tree-lined pathways and gargantuan student center make up for the law building's shortcomings. There are great dining options on campus. In the way of fast food, there is Panda Express, Baja Fresh, CPK, and Carls Jr. among others. Just across the street from the law school are a Cold Stone, Quiznos, Chipotle, and Chik Filet. For sit-down dining, there is (pricy) Morton Fig right on campus. There is also great (and cheap) pizza at Rosso Oro's (also across the street from the law school) and a variety of quirky American food (plus a great drink selection) at Lab Gastropub. And of course Los Angeles as a whole has infinite options in the way of dining and entertainment.

There are amazing financial aid options, and they do not change your aid money if you have low grades. There are opportunities to apply for a full scholarship and a guaranteed track to internships and a possible job with Skaaden.

Most professors are very good, and I feel like my 1L curriculum was excellent at giving a firm basis in legal reasoning. Socratic method was used in some 1L classes but not all, and used less in 2L and 3L. Our school is smaller, so class sizes are fairly small as well, with 1L writing classes being about 17 students, large section classes being about 70 students. The atmosphere is less competitive than you would think at a highly ranked law school. This doesn't mean we aren't competitive people, but we're not out to get each other in order to get a good grade.

Costs are high, but the campus is really nice, even if the law school building is not. The library is not large, but seems to have everything you would need. LA provides many areas to live to suit any type of person. Some say that USC is in the ghetto, but the immediate area surrounding the school is safe, and there have rarely been any issues.

LSAT my year was something around 166 mean. I can't remember any unique application questions, I just remember doing the standard Law School Entrance essay format. Financial Aid office worked with me and a cordial manner after I was accepted.

My school offered a mix of practical and theoretical classes. With a definite social sense of a bias toward corporate law.

N/A

Standard Law school application. Financial Aid opportunities definitely existed.

Classes tend to be small, and most faculty are very good (if a little bit quirky). I did not do very well in my first year, so I have been working with the Academic Support people who are terrific. Already my performance has improved dramatically. I give a 10/A+ to the people working in Academic Support.

People in the admissions office were very friendly and quite responsive. It was a pleasant surprise. Very welcoming.