4.4 of 5 stars Average Student Rating (of 41 Student Reviews)

Submit a School Review
and Get 1 FREE DAY

Penn Law
March 2015 | Former Student

Challenging classes, great professors and a collegial atmosphere among the student body

Law school in itself is a lot of pressure, but that's not unique to Penn

Comments

Take advantage of the multi-disciplinary focus of the school (e.g., they offer a dual degree with Wharton)

Collegial and interdisciplinary
March 2015 | Former Student

There's no rat race at Penn Law: sure, it's competitive and high-pressure, but the students are kind and friendly to one another. And, by and large, the faculty are really invested in the students' education and professional development.

Compared to its peer schools, Penn sports relatively small classes, but the sections are still pretty populous -- resulting in "gunners" hogging a lot of the professors' attention during class time.

Comments

Perfect balance of high-quality Ivy League education and a collegial student body and faculty.

Top flight education in a collegial environment in a highly underrated city!
March 2015 | Former Student

Small class and section size was a strong selling point

The facilities were circa-70s and are overdue for a renovation

Comments

You will make fast friends for life who you can count on throughout your legal career

Penn has outstanding faculty in civil procedure, criminal law & sentencing, health law, administrative & regulatory law, and any and all corporate law topics, including, securities regulation, M&A, and negotiations.

Penn is making a major new addition to the school this year that will include a huge new moot court room, new classrooms, and a "green" rooftop patio and lounge.

The classes are all great! I've found my professors to be very kind and accessible people.

The best thing about Penn is the people. I love hanging out at the school and getting to see my classmates! Everyone tends to be very happy. There are also a TON of extracurriculars/capita so everyone can get involved (and can start their own club if it doesn't exist already, like I did!)

Penn requests that you write individual essays, which definitely lends itself to people applying who are genuinely interested in the school. In addition, they tend to be very helpful with financial aid and scholarship opportunities if you go into the office.

Academics really depend on which professors are assigned to your section in the first year. After that you can create whatever kind of program you want.

This is one of the best parts about Penn. I have a great apartment downtown next to a park and a running trail for less than a third of the price of a box in NYC.

The "Why Penn?" essay is the only thing unique about the application process. It seems the school wants happy students and wants to identify people who would gain from coming to Penn.

Unique application essays, 99th percentile LSAT.

There are always plenty of seminars (usually 12-14 students) made available. It is very much a "choose your own adventure" type of curriculum, as students who really enjoy theory classes can take those to their hearts' content, whereas there are more practical classes that are taught by full-time professors but also some excellent adjunct professors and practitioners that the school brings in.

Philly is a (relatively) inexpensive city compared to other places along the east coast. The facilities are top-notch with more under construction. They have recently overhauled the computer stations, which is a great improvement. Philadelphia is a very inviting, fun city.

There was nothing unique that I recall.

Quality of intellectual atmosphere is absolutely top notch. Professors are incredible and incredibly accessible, as is the administration. Good mix of theoretical (lecture and Socratic method classes) and practical study (legal writing program, pro bono and clinical opportunities). Academic advising is decent - Professionalism Office and Registrar make an effort to give panels on how to choose upper curriculum and job search. You have to seek these panels out though, or make individual appointments for advising. Grading seems standard, with a decent curve. No personal experience w/ study abroad, but it seems accessible. Workload is definitely manageable, even while taking advantage of the multitude of extra curricular activities Penn offers.

I could not be happier with the quality of life at Penn. The student body is amazing...friendly, outgoing, helpful, selfless, and accommodating. Cost of living is great for such a fantastic city. Facilities are nice and constantly improving - brand new state of the art building with new moot court room, auditorium, and professor offices opening Spring 2012. Library and computer access is excellent; great library staff and excellent online resources. Neighborhood is good, but downtown is better (and is where most students live). Overall happiness is excellent.

Unique application essays (why Penn and an additional essay); otherwise, standard application process. Penn invites students to apply for scholarships. No personal experience with need-based financial aid.

Penn Law has a great selection of faculty and courses. There are several that teach fundamental legal principles via cases and the Socratic method. There are also a large number of classes that are taught by industry practicioners that have a very real-world approach to teaching law and the role of a legal advisor. Penn places a great degree of emphasis on cross-disciplinary studies, so there are courses that combine law and business, law and public policy, law and intellectual property, law and human rights, etc.
Generally speaking the class environment is really good. Students are very well prepared, read the material before class, and are prepared to comment on important aspects of the case or deal we are studying. Students are very driven here, but not overly competitive. As a result, the classroom experience is really engaging and a lot of learning takes place.

Penn Law places a huge emphasis on being a collegial environment. The tone starts with the dean, senior adminstrators, faculty, and flows through the entire student body. Students help each other prepare outlines, there are tons of student clubs that are very active, and great guest speakers and lecturers that come to campus to present on current issues in law. The facilities are great, there is plenty of space, and we have a brand new $30 million building going up that will be completed this year. It's a great place to study law.

Standard admissions process. LSAT, GPA, personal statement, and letters of recommendation are required.