Former student review

November 2018 | FORMER STUDENT

Variety of class offerings and clinics; fellow students are cooperative and compassionate.

The overall law school building, study areas, and library are drab.

Comments

There is a high quality of life in the Twin Cities. The cost of living is reasonable and the area offers many options for those who enjoy outdoor activities, the arts and sports.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

one personal essay/statement; LSDAS report; merit scholarships based on sumbitted record.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Very affordable housing in a beautiful city. You can choose between urban city living or very affordable, family-friendly suburban living.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

I find the professors approachable and excellent. Most care deeply about the quality and effectiveness of their instruction. I have had classes taught in the Socratic method and more practical approaches. I find the mix to be good between practical skills development and theoretical learning. For example, my evidence class was nearly all practical. We worked on hypothetical problems everyday. Some were discussed orally in class -- others were prepared as written assignments. We also performed final trials at the end of the course. I feel I have a true understanding of how the rules of evidence apply in practice.

I am married and my husband is employed. We live a comfortable life. I have been able to organize my study time so that my husband and I maintain quality time together. I enjoy the Minneapolis area and have had time to participate in politics here. My husband and I live four blocks from a huge trail network. We are able to enjoy outdoor activities, professional sporting events, and theater, music, and opera venues.

The school accepts applications through LSAC. I got the impression that the school really cared about the personal statement/ essay questions. In addition to high GPAs and LSAT scores, the school cares about a diverse student body especially regarding past experience of students.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The Law School is known for it's wide variety of courses, which blend theoretical perspectives with practical applications. Professors are a mix of those who employ the Socratic method and other who prefer a less intense conversational method. Professors frequently hire student to assist with their research opportunities. All first year classes are graded on a mandatory curve. Second and third year classes generally are as well, though smaller classes are exempt from the curve. This year, Justice Clarence Thomas taught a class on Constitutional Theories, and it seems that the law school faculty is composed of some of the best up-and-coming legal theorists working today. There are significant Study Abroad opportunities to Ireland, China, Germany, France, Spain, Sweden, and several other locations as well.

I was asked to complete a fairly typical application that included a personal statement and letters of recommendation. Strong grades and LSAT scores were a big component. Once I was admitted, the Law School was very generous with scholarships and gave me plenty of help securing financial aid for the remaining expenses.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

great combination of offering intellectually stimulating classroom experiences with the option of 17-20 clinics to apply the theory to practical work experience. extremely accessible and notable faculty who really care about their students. The adjunct professors have a wide range of experiences and really help the learning process.

Cost of living is extremely law school student friendly. The campus is nice, but the weather is still Minnesotan weather. facilities are up to date, but building is a little older. two courtrooms provide a sense of a courtroom for students. Students are happier than most other law students at other schools.

Weighs LSAT and GPA heavily. Then looks to personal statements, recommendations, work experiences and life experiences. Upon admittance, the office of admissions offers scholarships or one can apply to general scholarship funds.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The U of M places a strong emphasis on clinical work and other practical programs, aimed at providing skills and experiences that will prepare students to work as lawyers in the real world.

The U of M is a great school, with a great quality of life. The campus has a lot of cozy areas for studying and the law library is large, with plenty of space, even come finals time. The campus is located next to Seven Corners, home to a number of local bars and restaurants.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Great balance between theory and practical. The program allows each student to get as much practical experience as he or she deems appropriate.

The application process was not terribly unique as compared to other schools, however the admissions process was more personable after I was accepted (one day after applying). In general, it seems the U of M invests more back into student scholarships than other comparable schools and provided me with better and more timely information while I was deciding where to attend.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Core classes are largely theoretical, though there have always been options for practical coursework and the curriculum is moving to more practice-based coursework requirements. Faculty are overall wonderful - thought-provoking, full of personality, and enjoyable to spend class time with. There are especially strong and notable faculty in human rights/international law, constitutional law, criminal law, health law, and securities. It's wonderful to get credit for clinics and journals - they aren't extracurriculars, but part of our coursework - and the number of students who participate in them is high. Overall the academic environment challenges students to think through concepts and apply solid legal analysis, while being supportive and collegial.

Really a strong quality of life. Cost of living in the Twin Cities is reasonable, and the cities are great for people who love the outdoors, arts, sports, and a city environment that also has nature and fun neighborhoods with personality. Campus life is fun, with the advantages of a big school coupled with a manageable, close law school community. Our building isn't the greatest, but the resources are amazing and the people really make for a fabulous experience during the stress of school.

I'd say this is a pretty typical application process - LSAT, GPA, one essay that's basically the "why I want to go to law school/what I want to do in law" variety, all accepted through LSAC. There were no separate financial aid applications for aid through the school; it was awarded based on the application for admission.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Took the LSAT, 2 personal essays, 2 recommendations, no extra scholarship info besides application of which I'm aware.