Quality of classes are great - good mix of theoretical and practical classes. Michigan offers a wide variety of classes taught by exceptional academics as well as practicing lawyers, some of whom fly in from Los Angeles or New York just to teach classes. Michigan prides itself on a collaborative environment: students strive to do their best, but always with a helpful hand. Whenever someone 's computer crashes, another helpful student is always there, offering outlines or class notes.
Michigan's study abroad opportunities are exceptional. Students have the option of studying in London, Hamburg, and Tokyo, to name a few; as well as spend a semester doing an externship in Geneva, South Africa,, London, and more. If there isn't a program at a student's location of interest, students have the option of creating their own externship program. Michigan is extremely accommodating in this regard.

The Lawyers Club, Michigan Law's dorm system, is in the self-enclosed law quad and provides for beautiful view of the quad and a 2-minute walk to classes. The dining hall food gets old, but it is worth the food boredom to meet fellow law students from other sections you might otherwise not have the chance to meet. The Lawyers Club is an especially attractive option for 1Ls, as the convenience to classes and the library are incredible, and the opportunity to meet other students provides for a fun and enjoyable introductory year to law school.

Standard application process, though Michigan does invite students to submit additional short answers/essays to Michigan-tailored questions. In this way, the law school can gauge one's level of interest in Michigan and their fit for the law school.

I was more impressed with Michigan Law than I imagined I would be. Everyone admitted to Michigan is extremely smart and capable. Our professors, with a few possible exceptions, are excellent teachers. The exceptions are highly intelligent but need to learn how to teach. All of our classes are based more on theory than practial study -- Criminal Law is the exception. The Socratic method is used in a mixed method -- usually a mixture of volunteering and cold calling. Professor JJ White is the only professor to use it in its purest form -- from my experience. The faculty is very impressive -- if they haven't written the case book they have a special and unique knowledge of that area of the law they teach. Michigan Law is not a cut throat school but it is highly competitive. For the most part people are nice to each other but sometimes people have done things to reflect their dislike of others. Its the exception but I'm glad I do not go to a more competitive school -- this is enough for me. I would say my biggest problem with Michigan Law (and probably lawyers in general) is the self-centeredness factor. Near, there is a belief that everyone is God's gift to the world. I think at other places each indivdual thinks they are are better gift than the person next to them. Its a difference and it helps but its still comfortable for me. I wish we were more humble. Workload is a lot but very managable.

The cost to live in the Lawyer's Club is a bit much and I was not pleased with the lack of help during move-in and move-out. Overall, I think the Lawyer's Club is a nice place to live but I definitely think its for the best that they are renovating the place. Facilities are great for the most part and I think they will get even better with the new additions.

I decided to finallly attend law school in July 2009 and wanted to apply for that year's cycle. Unfortunately, I had little done to achieve that end. No valid LSAT score, no letters of recommendation, no essays. I took a LSAT prep class through Kaplan and immediately began writing my personal statement. I wrote the diversity and Why Michigan supplemental one page essays. After taking the LSAT at the end of September 2009, I completed my application and submitted it in October 2009. I had a lot of help with the application process from an application adviser I had through my undergrad institution -- the University of Michigan. I was quickly accepted to Michigan State, Wayne State and U of D Mercy law school. I received full scholarship offers to Michigan State and U of D. I received at 50% offer to Wayne State. I decided to attend Michigan State, if I did not get into Michigan Law. Fortunately, I did and I get to stay blue!

Classes are predominately theory based, but you can find some practical gems which are spectacular opportunities. The professors are eager to find research aides or unique academic opportunities for their students. Large population interested in international law leads to numerous study abroad opportunities. Depends on the professor whether the class is taught socratically or not, but class sizes are small generally after the initial first year sections. Academics are very demanding, students are very dedicated to their work and success. Very close knit student body, very little competition.

It is what you make of it. I found it to be a good balance between school work, social life, and down time. I also held a job which I did not have trouble making time for. I know some students who were always under a mound of work, but I never felt that way. Ann Arbor is a fantastic place to live, very accessible and very intertwined with the life of the University. It isn't overly expensive and is a very safe and friendly community.

Pretty standard/typical: Application essay, LSAT, LSAC references, etc.

In my two years, the courses and professors have all been excellent. The courses lean toward theoretical, but also bring in practical examples - not to mention the various clinical opportunities for students who want a more hands-on education. The work is challenging but not at all prohibitive of a social life. I've had as much fun in law school so far as I did as an undergraduate.

Regardless of whether you live on campus, the Lawyers Club housing sets the tone for Michigan Law. It's a friendly, inviting place that makes the transition to law school incredibly smooth. And that effect spreads out to the entire law school community. The facilities are unbelievable, especially considering that we're in the process of pouring another $150 million into our facilities in the new few years.

The "Why Michigan?" question is understood to carry significant weight, as well as the personal statement in general. I have a strong sense from my interactions with other students that they all had very interesting stories to tell in their personal statements.

Each of the professors I had was available for follow up discussions and questions. At Michigan, you really feel like you're part of close knit community of students and professors. That said, the classroom experience is quite varied--some professors use the Socratic method while others prefer a hands on approach meant to stimulate actual practice. While the atomsphere is competitive in some respects, it is more motivating than cut throat.

The Law Quad is the aesthetic jewel of Ann Arbor.

Socratic method used in majority of classes. Great majority of professors are experts and published in the respective fields. Good balance of theory and practical classes. This law school has an opportunity for any/all interests. Students are competetive but do not sacrifice comraderie. The fact that class rank is not disclosed, fosters a collegial environment.

I have not expereinced campus living/dining, but all other services and facilities are great. A bit expensive, but you get what you pay for. Crime has risen in the area just South of the law quad, but common sense safety (like not jogging by yourself at 2AM) would prevent 90% of these crimes.

In addition to the traditional personal statement, application requested optional essays on specific interest in the University of Michigan Law School, career plans, if grades and test scores reflect applicant's ability to succeed in law school, overcoming a failure or setback, experience with diversity and how applicant would contribute to diversity of class, and skills and values of a good lawyer.

The structure of the classes varies based upon the content of the course.
Doctrinal courses tend to be more Socratic.
While the style of the classes has varied, the quality of the instruction is consistently high.
Faculty are highly recognized in their respective fields and accessible to students.
Students interest in research have ample opportunity, encouragement and support (including a Student Research Roundtable)

Cost are about a high as one would expect around a large research university.
Whatever you want your life to be, you can find it.
I live very close to campus and feel secure in an around campus.

The classes are extremely good, for the most part, with some exceptions. The doctrinal classes are more geared towards theory than practice, though classes like tax, that lend themselves to practical application more immediately, are taught with a more practical bent. The socratic method depends on the professor, and I've had a good mix. The clinic opportunities are superb, and one of the best things I have ever done in my time at Michigan.

You come to Michigan because you want the Michigan experience, including having a social life focused on the law school and other law students, the accessibility afforded by 95% of the student body living in close walking proximity, and the experience of attending law school at the best law school in the Big Ten. The library is adequate, and the reading room is beautiful. I've never felt unsafe on campus, and Michigan does a good job of keeping students safe, including free rides home after 10PM, security guards are consistently visible, and the campus police patrol. I think most people here are generally very happy.

Michigan has fairly standard admissions practices, but they do allow you to write optional essays to illustrate your interest in the school.

There is a wide variety of courses, fitting almost any law student's individual interest. The Law School has a number of well-known and accomplished professors in their fields.
Although law school is inherently competitive, Michigan law students do not let competition get in the way of maintaining great relationships with their colleagues. Students are overwhelmingly courteous. No one tears pages out of library books here. People readily share outlines.

The Law Quad is one of the most beautiful law school building complexes in the country, and with a new building addition is about to add quite a bit more space. Space is plentiful and the library is one of the most impressive. And of course the Gothic Reading Room speaks for itself.
Although living close to campus can be a bit expensive in Ann Arbor, there are many nice and affordable housing options a bit outside the immediate university locale.

Very thorough application review process. Dean Zearfoss takes special care to write a personal note to every admitted student on his or her letter of admission.
Merit scholarships are awarded fairly, without regard to whether an applicant has committed to attending the law school yet or not. Michigan Law does not try to "game" the financial aid process.