Law School
University of Michigan

4.7 of 5 stars Overall Student Rating (112 Student Reviews)

Date: 2011

The classes are of very high quality. Many involve a modified socratic method in which teachers' questions and students' responses drive the classroom dynamic but in which cold-calling and stumping students is avoided. Professors focus on giving students solid groundings in course materials while also teaching them to think like successful lawyers. Class sizes vary, but there are as many opportunities for small classes as anyone could want. Students at Michigan are much more cooperative than competitive, so collaboration and community dominate the atmosphere and the classroom. Michigan is a first-class university over all, and quite large, so no matter what interest a student has, Michigan is very likely to have a strong program that encompasses that area. For similar reasons, there are tons of opportunities for research. Michigan's large classes are graded on a standard curve; smaller classes are not ,which generally means pretty high marks are given out. Michigan has innumerable leading faculty. Michigan has extensive study-abroad opportunities as well as domestict out-of-residence programs. Like any top law school, Michigan offers its students opportunities to learn a great deal, so enthusiastic students will find no shortage of opportunities to learn.

Ann Arbor is much less expensive than an urban area. The unviersity of Michigan as a whole and the law school in particular (especially with its brand new, super-modern, spacious, beautiful new building) is really wonderful. There are multiple gyms, lots of top libraries and computer labs, an impressive moot courtroom, beautioful old rooms on the law quadranagle itself that are attached to a dining hall, and more. Ann Arbor is a university town, so community relations are great. It is also very safe. Michigan students are, on the whole, a very happy lot.

Date: 2011

My professors were very intelligent, accomplished scholars who really engaged students in class and were willing to communicate with students outside of class as well. Several professors literally wrote the book on their class subject--the restatement or the most widely used treatise or a textbook. Michigan instills a real sense of collegiality among the students and the competition among them is minimal. I felt like I left Michigan with a stellar legal education.

Ann Abror is a great town to live in, no matter your marriage or family status. It is a great place for single students and equally great for married students and students with families. I felt very safe in Ann Arbor. The police would e-mail crime alerts anytime something happened in Ann Arbor and it was comforting how infrequent they were sent.

Date: 2011

The academic experience at Michigan is uncommonly wonderful. Every professor seems to relish teaching both because they generally enjoy teaching and because they are passionate about the subject matter (I'm still not sure if the passion drives them to become experts in the field or if the expertise leads to passion). Either way, both their knowledge and zeal for teaching are evident. Workload is heavy, as can be expected at any law school. Class sizes vary from tiny (less than 10 students) to large (90-100 students). The faculty and staff are all very accessible so academic and career advising is readily available for those who seek it.

Even during sometimes intense and unnecessarily prolonged winters, Ann Arbor and Michigan Law are beautiful places to be.

Comments

From what I recall, Michigan had a number of optional essay questions in addition to the main required one from which applicants could choose and answer two. I find these optional essays are a chance to distinguish yourself further and make clear why you are applying to that particular school.

Date: 2011

My 1L classes were excellent, good mix of theory and practice. Socratic method used extensively and to good effect. Pretty competitive classes, but not cut throat. Leading faculty. Tough grading. Lots of study abroad opportunities. Tough but just manageable workload.

Cost of living is lower than the East Coast. Ann Arbor is a good town, small but not tiny. MLaw facilities are good.

Comments

Michigan Law is very selective and requires additional essays and a high LSAT. It has excellent financial aid and scholarship opportunities.

Date: 2011

Comments

You'd have to ask the dean of admissions, who actually runs it.

Date: 2011

Academics at Michigan are top notch. The professors and staff are outstanding, and true leaders in their respective fields, often having written the textbooks used in the class, whether the class is at Michigan or elsewhere around the country.

Quality of life is top notch. Ann Arbor is a fascinating city in the best state in the country.

Comments

Applicants must submit LSAT scores and recommendations, which can be done through LSAC/LSDAS. There are plenty of scholarship opportunities. There is not a separate application that must be initially filed for at least some of these opportunities, though one may be required at some point in the process.

Date: 2011

It was a very fine academic experience, but it was almost entirely focused on theory versus practical study. In retrospect, there should have been much more emphasis on clinics.

Michigan football makes everything better, especially law school.

Comments

Nothing unusual stands out in my mind except Admissions Dean Sarah Zearfoss. Dean Zearfoss was unreal; she knew every applicant - and current law student, and alum - by name and face. She hand-picks a community. Michigan Law is lucky to have her.

Date: 2011

The classes are theory-heavy and, unless you seek out practical classes (practicums, clinics, etc), you probably won't get much practical advice, but I believe this is probably true of most big law schools.

I could not be happier with the quality of life at Michigan. The other students are great and fun to be around, the community is outstanding, and Ann Arbor is a fantastic place to spend three years at school.

Comments

There were a couple optional Michigan specific essays. Other than that, it was pretty standard.

Date: 2011

I think that the classes are more theoretical in the way they are taught, although a select few professors stress the practical application of how to practice in the real-world, in addition to learning traditional materials. The students are like others in a law school of this caliber--competitive, but not to a cut-throat extent. The workload is intense, especially during the 1L year.

The cost of living is pretty expensive for Michigan, but it is because everything is more expensive in Ann Arbor (where they know most of the students must live). The campus is extremely accessible--there are computer labs in the law school (we get 600 pages of free printing) and computer labs in the undergrad buildings as well (we get 400 pages in undergrad computer labs). The town of Ann Arbor is a nice place to live, and it has a quaint downtown area. Though in recent years the crime has increased (I went here for undergrad as well in 2006-2010) it is still much safer than traditional city-schools. Happiness in law school is really about finding a way to balance your school life, with your social life. In Ann Arbor, there are plenty of things to do, and it is especially nice in the summer (where they have activities like the Art Fair, Top of the Park, etc).

Comments

The admissions process consisted of an LSAT score and a personal statement (both through LSAC), and an optional two additional essays--these two essay questions vary, I think, from year-to-year, although a "Why Michigan Law?" essay is usually standard.

Date: 2011

Classes are generally quite good, and the student-teacher ratio is low. The emphasis at Michigan is on theory for the most part, although in some classes--those taught by practitioners and more clinically oriented classes--there is a good bit of practical study. The Socratic method is used, to varying degrees of success, by most professors--few classes do not have a substantially interactive component. At the same time, competition between students tends to be amicable. Students are nice to each other and do not compete ruthlessly, despite the heavy workload. There are a number of unique academic programs, especially those with an international component. I include in these the programs Michigan has that allow its students to go to other countries to work for organizations and to intern with judges. There are a number of journals that offer excellent writing opportunities and the chance to work with prominent legal scholars. The faculty is first class.

Cost of living is not trivial, but it's small potatoes compared to the tuition. Facilities are for the most part quite current. The Law Quad is without a doubt the most beautiful building on the University of Michigan campus--there's a reason that promotional videos for prospective undergraduates are often shot there, despite the fact that virtually none of the target audience members will ever have reason to be inside the Quadrangle other than to admire the view. In general, the student body is focused but pleasant, which makes an otherwise rough 3 years much more bearable.

Comments

Admissions process includes essays but primarily is based on LSAT and college grades. A the same time, the Law School looks for those who have been out of school for some time and may have gained substantially valuable life experiences that contribute to the Law School community (grades notwithstanding, sometimes). Financial aid is available, and a limited number of students receive merit-based scholarships (Darrow scholars) in varying amounts.