I was more impressed with Michigan Law than I imagined I would be. Everyone admitted to Michigan is extremely smart and capable. Our professors, with a few possible exceptions, are excellent teachers. The exceptions are highly intelligent but need to learn how to teach. All of our classes are based more on theory than practial study -- Criminal Law is the exception. The Socratic method is used in a mixed method -- usually a mixture of volunteering and cold calling. Professor JJ White is the only professor to use it in its purest form -- from my experience. The faculty is very impressive -- if they haven't written the case book they have a special and unique knowledge of that area of the law they teach. Michigan Law is not a cut throat school but it is highly competitive. For the most part people are nice to each other but sometimes people have done things to reflect their dislike of others. Its the exception but I'm glad I do not go to a more competitive school -- this is enough for me. I would say my biggest problem with Michigan Law (and probably lawyers in general) is the self-centeredness factor. Near, there is a belief that everyone is God's gift to the world. I think at other places each indivdual thinks they are are better gift than the person next to them. Its a difference and it helps but its still comfortable for me. I wish we were more humble. Workload is a lot but very managable.

The cost to live in the Lawyer's Club is a bit much and I was not pleased with the lack of help during move-in and move-out. Overall, I think the Lawyer's Club is a nice place to live but I definitely think its for the best that they are renovating the place. Facilities are great for the most part and I think they will get even better with the new additions.

I decided to finallly attend law school in July 2009 and wanted to apply for that year's cycle. Unfortunately, I had little done to achieve that end. No valid LSAT score, no letters of recommendation, no essays. I took a LSAT prep class through Kaplan and immediately began writing my personal statement. I wrote the diversity and Why Michigan supplemental one page essays. After taking the LSAT at the end of September 2009, I completed my application and submitted it in October 2009. I had a lot of help with the application process from an application adviser I had through my undergrad institution -- the University of Michigan. I was quickly accepted to Michigan State, Wayne State and U of D Mercy law school. I received full scholarship offers to Michigan State and U of D. I received at 50% offer to Wayne State. I decided to attend Michigan State, if I did not get into Michigan Law. Fortunately, I did and I get to stay blue!

The Socratic method is definitely still used in all 1L classes as well as in a few upper level classes. Most of my post 1L classes were smaller "seminar-style" classes which were less rigorous than a 1L class but in which the professors were able to bring out enough genuine participation without having to use the Socratic method, which was always much appreciated. I never found Michigan Law to be a competitive place, even during 1L. I was always a collaborative student that shared outlines and studied in groups for exams and found that there was lots of that going on around me. People don't talk about grades I found, except occasionally with friends.

Wonderful! The Lawyer's Club is a perfect place to spend 1L year; a decent cafeteria and great opportunity to make friends with many of your 1L classmates right away. It's also a stone's throw away from the library and classes so you have everything you need! Off campus rent and the cost of living in general in Ann Arbor is very reasonable; you can $600-800ish a month for a nice apartment walking distance to campus and less for a room in a house or anything farther than walking distance. Ann Arbor is a perfect college town so there's lots of great cheap food very close to the law school as well as all nightlife options. I always felt very safe on and off campus.

Michigan definitely seems to look at all the usual factors in admissions. I found that current students don't talk very much at all about what their LSAT scores or other qualifications were, but based on the few LSAT scores that I did know of among my friends, it seemed like Michigan has slightly broader range in scores among current students than other top schools. The application I remember being pretty straight forward, with the essay questions being fair. I didn't receive financial aid but know that a few of my friends with financial aid offers from other schools were able to easily talk about them with the admissions office and sometimes successfully negotiate a larger aid package than initially offered. I found out about my acceptance for fall semester quite early, which was nice, I remember earlier than most other schools I had applied to.

Academics at Michigan are top notch. The professors and staff are outstanding, and true leaders in their respective fields, often having written the textbooks used in the class, whether the class is at Michigan or elsewhere around the country.

Quality of life is top notch. Ann Arbor is a fascinating city in the best state in the country.

Applicants must submit LSAT scores and recommendations, which can be done through LSAC/LSDAS. There are plenty of scholarship opportunities. There is not a separate application that must be initially filed for at least some of these opportunities, though one may be required at some point in the process.

The majority of first year courses are taught in bigger sections. However, after those are completed, the remaining classes are smaller seminar types. The professors who teach these classes all have come from top level clerkships, and have the predicate professional experience to make their classes even more relevant.

This place is very much a community atmosphere. In my time at the law school I have not had a negative experience with staff, administration, students or professors.

I had to submit a personal statement, diversity essay, LSAT, and LSAC reports.

In my two years, the courses and professors have all been excellent. The courses lean toward theoretical, but also bring in practical examples - not to mention the various clinical opportunities for students who want a more hands-on education. The work is challenging but not at all prohibitive of a social life. I've had as much fun in law school so far as I did as an undergraduate.

Regardless of whether you live on campus, the Lawyers Club housing sets the tone for Michigan Law. It's a friendly, inviting place that makes the transition to law school incredibly smooth. And that effect spreads out to the entire law school community. The facilities are unbelievable, especially considering that we're in the process of pouring another $150 million into our facilities in the new few years.

The "Why Michigan?" question is understood to carry significant weight, as well as the personal statement in general. I have a strong sense from my interactions with other students that they all had very interesting stories to tell in their personal statements.

The University of Michigan Law School has an exceptional academic program. The school offers a large variety of classes that include theoretical and practical applications. I took a course on law and economics in India, a course on media law, and a course on legal issues that effect boards of directors. The Socratic method is heavily used through most of the school, although some professors are more lenient than others. Classes range from 10 to 90 people but even in a large course the professors always seem to know everyone's name. Grading is fair but not easy. Professors are always available to meet, even outside of business hours. Many professor take part in half-credit semester long courses that have fun titles and often involve food. One of the things that Michigan Law School stands out for is its cooperative spirit. People share notes and outlines, and are always happy to help explain a concept. No one hides books in the library or any of the other scary rumors that float around at other law schools. The workload is intense but manageable.

Cost of living is cheap and there is a variety of housing options. I lived off-campus only 7 minutes away from the law school. The law school also has housing for law students called the Lawyer's Club. The law school's facilities are great. The library is large and clean. There are numerous computer labs throughout the school. The neighborhood is student-oriented with lots of restaurants and coffee shops. Crime and safety is well-handled by both campus and local police. Students are extremely happy with the school and Ann Arbor.

The University of Michigan Law School's admissions process involves an essay question, other short essays, a high LSAT score, and the general application.

The course offerings at Michigan are varied and uniformly excellent. Perhaps by virtue of choosing a law school in a college town -- Ann Arbor -- faculty members at Michigan love teaching and interacting with students.

Ann Arbor is a fantastic place to go to law school.

Classes and professors are generally excellent. Overall, academics are easily the best of any school I've attended. Professors are also extremely devoted to teaching and very available to students. Workload and classroom expectations are rigorous but manageable. Lots of variety in classes offered, so it's easy to specialize in lots of interesting areas, or just explore various facets of the law.

Other

The Law School aims at providing a seemingly one-on-one teaching experiance regardless of class size. Some classes are very large (60+ students), but most classes are much smaller. Regardless of class size, professors manage to challenge every student on a personal level and engage all students in enriching intellectual discussion. A great aspect of the school is that a student may choose from many fields of study. Many of my friends and classmates pursued corporate law, or commercial litigation, while many others pursued careers in public interest. There was never any judgment from either side, and all sides worked together towards common goals in the classroom and the community.

Ann Arbor is a true college town, and the beauty of the Law School is that it is its own unit, but located directly in the heart of the campus. Students are welcomed into the greater community of both the University of Michigan as a whole, and the town of Ann Arbor. Living is very affordable, food is inexpensive, libraries are abundant, and safety is top level.

I don't fully recall the full admissions process, but I do know that I was astounded and pleasantly surprised to see the vast array of students admitted to the law school, and that all were truly and carefully hand picked! There were ample financial aid opportunities for all students, and the school made sure to always stay competative as far as provision of scholarships for students was concerned.

I enjoyed nearly all of my classes at Michigan. There was quite a mix of class formats to choose from--e.g., seminar, mini-seminar, large "traditional" classes, clinics, etc. I benefited from all types and would recommend that approach to other students as well.
I found the faculty to be extremely accessible and willing to help me in my day-to-day as well as my future endeavors---whether that might be finding a clerkship, searching for a summer position, or dealing with personal challenges.

I loved Ann Arbor and enjoyed living off-campus all 3 years. The whole town centers around the university which results in a nice atmosphere.

I believe that Michigan's admissions process is truly unique. They go past the seemingly all important, but yet of relatively little value, LSAT scores. The result is a very diverse, interesting, down-to-earth, and incredibly intelligent group of students. I learned not only from my professors but also from my peers. I was impressed at the incredible backgrounds of my peers--doctors, pharmacists, scientists, athletes, parents, artists, ....
Impressive scholarships are also offered which helps add to the mix of students.