classes were wonderful. my professors were extremely engaging, and eager to involve students in class discussions as well as discussions outside of class. professors regularly enlisted students as research assistants, so if you were interested in a particular area of the law, it was easy to get more one-on-one experience working directly with the professor. there were a very broad array of classes to choose from, including the traditional law classes, as well as classes not so traditional (i.e. sexual violence and the law, blood feuds)

ann arbor is an amazing place to be a student. there is a ton of culture, things to do, different professional schools around (business school, med school, etc) so you're constantly engaging with other students outside of the law school. There are a ton of places to go out to eat, and the feel of the community is inspiring, you leave ann arbor with a real sense of pride and love for the university.

The University of Michigan Law School has an exceptional academic program. The school offers a large variety of classes that include theoretical and practical applications. I took a course on law and economics in India, a course on media law, and a course on legal issues that effect boards of directors. The Socratic method is heavily used through most of the school, although some professors are more lenient than others. Classes range from 10 to 90 people but even in a large course the professors always seem to know everyone's name. Grading is fair but not easy. Professors are always available to meet, even outside of business hours. Many professor take part in half-credit semester long courses that have fun titles and often involve food. One of the things that Michigan Law School stands out for is its cooperative spirit. People share notes and outlines, and are always happy to help explain a concept. No one hides books in the library or any of the other scary rumors that float around at other law schools. The workload is intense but manageable.

Cost of living is cheap and there is a variety of housing options. I lived off-campus only 7 minutes away from the law school. The law school also has housing for law students called the Lawyer's Club. The law school's facilities are great. The library is large and clean. There are numerous computer labs throughout the school. The neighborhood is student-oriented with lots of restaurants and coffee shops. Crime and safety is well-handled by both campus and local police. Students are extremely happy with the school and Ann Arbor.

The University of Michigan Law School's admissions process involves an essay question, other short essays, a high LSAT score, and the general application.

As a 1L, classes were all theory. However, on the whole, profs still managed to connect theory with practical hypos. Incredible first-year legal writing program. The curve is no different here than at other top law schools. Large, survey first-year courses, but next semester as 2L I am going to be in several classes of 60 or less students (one class only has 15). It is competitive and supportive at the same time. I respect and am continually impressed by my professors, even moreso by my peers.

The school's facilities are gorgeous; Ann Arbor is safe and fairly inexpensive; and it is a great, supportive community of students.

The "Why Michigan?" essay is unique to Michigan Law's application process. For me, the whole process felt very personal and I felt like I was being assessed in a holistic manner. Admissions office was very responsive to my needs.

The lawyers club was great when I lived there, but they are making massive renovations that will make it even better. Significantly so.

The classes are of very high quality. Many involve a modified socratic method in which teachers' questions and students' responses drive the classroom dynamic but in which cold-calling and stumping students is avoided. Professors focus on giving students solid groundings in course materials while also teaching them to think like successful lawyers. Class sizes vary, but there are as many opportunities for small classes as anyone could want. Students at Michigan are much more cooperative than competitive, so collaboration and community dominate the atmosphere and the classroom. Michigan is a first-class university over all, and quite large, so no matter what interest a student has, Michigan is very likely to have a strong program that encompasses that area. For similar reasons, there are tons of opportunities for research. Michigan's large classes are graded on a standard curve; smaller classes are not ,which generally means pretty high marks are given out. Michigan has innumerable leading faculty. Michigan has extensive study-abroad opportunities as well as domestict out-of-residence programs. Like any top law school, Michigan offers its students opportunities to learn a great deal, so enthusiastic students will find no shortage of opportunities to learn.

Ann Arbor is much less expensive than an urban area. The unviersity of Michigan as a whole and the law school in particular (especially with its brand new, super-modern, spacious, beautiful new building) is really wonderful. There are multiple gyms, lots of top libraries and computer labs, an impressive moot courtroom, beautioful old rooms on the law quadranagle itself that are attached to a dining hall, and more. Ann Arbor is a university town, so community relations are great. It is also very safe. Michigan students are, on the whole, a very happy lot.

My professors were very intelligent, accomplished scholars who really engaged students in class and were willing to communicate with students outside of class as well. Several professors literally wrote the book on their class subject--the restatement or the most widely used treatise or a textbook. Michigan instills a real sense of collegiality among the students and the competition among them is minimal. I felt like I left Michigan with a stellar legal education.

Ann Abror is a great town to live in, no matter your marriage or family status. It is a great place for single students and equally great for married students and students with families. I felt very safe in Ann Arbor. The police would e-mail crime alerts anytime something happened in Ann Arbor and it was comforting how infrequent they were sent.

The academic experience at Michigan is uncommonly wonderful. Every professor seems to relish teaching both because they generally enjoy teaching and because they are passionate about the subject matter (I'm still not sure if the passion drives them to become experts in the field or if the expertise leads to passion). Either way, both their knowledge and zeal for teaching are evident. Workload is heavy, as can be expected at any law school. Class sizes vary from tiny (less than 10 students) to large (90-100 students). The faculty and staff are all very accessible so academic and career advising is readily available for those who seek it.

Even during sometimes intense and unnecessarily prolonged winters, Ann Arbor and Michigan Law are beautiful places to be.

From what I recall, Michigan had a number of optional essay questions in addition to the main required one from which applicants could choose and answer two. I find these optional essays are a chance to distinguish yourself further and make clear why you are applying to that particular school.

You'd have to ask the dean of admissions, who actually runs it.

Academics at Michigan are top notch. The professors and staff are outstanding, and true leaders in their respective fields, often having written the textbooks used in the class, whether the class is at Michigan or elsewhere around the country.

Quality of life is top notch. Ann Arbor is a fascinating city in the best state in the country.

Applicants must submit LSAT scores and recommendations, which can be done through LSAC/LSDAS. There are plenty of scholarship opportunities. There is not a separate application that must be initially filed for at least some of these opportunities, though one may be required at some point in the process.

Many classes and all first year classes are Socractic method. Profs are very well versed in the field, some having written the case books that we use. Other students are only somewhat competitive--not at all typical for a top-10 law school, but still very intelligent and hard working, so the competition is intrinsically high but not necessarily direct or mean-spirited. Grading seems fair and work-load also seems appropriate for the credits. Many clinics offered for both litigation and transactional work and some research opportunities with profs exist. Notable faculty include profs Uhlmann (environmental law), Pritchard (securities law), Krier (property law), Simma (sitting ICJ judge), Kethledge (Sixth Circuit Judge), Green (Detroit Deputy Mayor), among others. Sections are approx 24 students, and first year classes are from 2 to 4 sections together. Most popular upper level classes might have 100-120 students, but seminars are much smaller (15-25). Many study abroad opportunities exist, including Geneva, South Africa, and many others that I'm not entirely familiar with.

Cost of living is relatively high for Michigan but relatively low for what I'm used to (New York City). The campus and the facilities are beautiful, but I wish the library would stay open past midnight. Other libraries and the reading room are open until 2am (undergrad libraries later I think, but I never go there). Computer labs and available computers are plenty and very up to date. The housing is fine but is currently going through a $20 million renovation so I imagine will be much more impressive in a year or two. The dining is absolutely mediocre, but I have high standards and some of my friends love(d) it. The area is relatively exceptionally safe and overall I like it a lot. Lots of bars and restaurants near campus as well. Happiness, especially for being in law school, is relatively high.

LSAT, standard essay, optional "Why Michigan?" essay, 2-3 letters of recommendation, standard financial aid, extra scholarship for having done TFA.