Law School
University of Michigan

4.7 of 5 stars Overall Student Rating (112 Student Reviews)

Date: 2011

I enjoyed nearly all of my classes at Michigan. There was quite a mix of class formats to choose from--e.g., seminar, mini-seminar, large "traditional" classes, clinics, etc. I benefited from all types and would recommend that approach to other students as well. I found the faculty to be extremely accessible and willing to help me in my day-to-day as well as my future endeavors---whether that might be finding a clerkship, searching for a summer position, or dealing with personal challenges.

I loved Ann Arbor and enjoyed living off-campus all 3 years. The whole town centers around the university which results in a nice atmosphere.

Comments

I believe that Michigan's admissions process is truly unique. They go past the seemingly all important, but yet of relatively little value, LSAT scores. The result is a very diverse, interesting, down-to-earth, and incredibly intelligent group of students. I learned not only from my professors but also from my peers. I was impressed at the incredible backgrounds of my peers--doctors, pharmacists, scientists, athletes, parents, artists, .... Impressive scholarships are also offered which helps add to the mix of students.

Date: 2011

Michigan has a wide variety of classes in almost any discipline you can think of, ranging from large classes with professors who focus on theory and love the socratic method to tiny seminars, clinics, and practicums, where students get to engage in actual law practice (from clinic in tax, family law, environmental law, real estate, health law, or corporate work, to practicums in evidence, intellectual property, negotiation, and alternative dispute resolution). Following 1L year, I'd say 25-30% of courses are based on the socratic method.

If you want to live near campus, Ann Arbor has surprisingly high rent--it is a university town, after all. However, prices drop rapidly as you move in any direction away from campus and/or consider taking on roommates. I spent my first year in the Lawyer's Club, the law school dormitory that wraps around two sides of the gorgeous law quad. The Lawyer's Club is not for everybody (you do sleep in twin extra long beds and eat your meals out of the dining hall), but I wouldn't trade my experience living there for anything. It created an incredible sense of community among the ~50% of the 1L class living there and allowed me to make friends out of my immediate section. Meal times became a welcome break from the hub bub of school, I was able to eat fresh fruit and vegetables without out when and how I was going to get a car to go to the grocery store, and the dining hall staff was very receptive (even acquiescing with my request to add Honey Bunches of Oats to the cereal bar). I spent my third year in the Kerrytown historic district, a quick 15 minute walk but worlds away from the more "fratty" undergraduate areas immediately adjacent to campus. In Kerrytown, I had the farmers market, the natural foods coop, a small grocery store, a wine store, a few bars, some asian restaurants, a coffee shop, and the famed Zingerman's Delicatessen all within a two minute walk. It was also a stone's throw from the trails around Argo pond, and closer to the State Street and Main Street eating and drinking establishments. Ann Arbor is not a New York or Chicago by any stretch of the imagination, but it is a vibrant college town with two independent movie theaters and an awesome performance lineup each semester. I definitely could have seen more of town with a car, but was able to function quite well with just my own two feet and a bicycle.

Comments

I received an application fee waiver via LSAC, which encouraged me to apply. I don't recall any unique application questions or essays, but I did receive a scholarship offer with my admissions offer, which was nice.

Date: 2011

The majority of first year courses are taught in bigger sections. However, after those are completed, the remaining classes are smaller seminar types. The professors who teach these classes all have come from top level clerkships, and have the predicate professional experience to make their classes even more relevant.

This place is very much a community atmosphere. In my time at the law school I have not had a negative experience with staff, administration, students or professors.

Comments

I had to submit a personal statement, diversity essay, LSAT, and LSAC reports.

Date: 2011

Generally, the faculty is extremely accessible and committed to quality teaching. Also, the first-year legal writing program is outstanding: it is taught by experienced practitioners who, again, are committed to helping students develop their legal writing and research skills. Michigan still uses traditional letter grades on a fairly tough curve compared with other top schools.

Comments

I have no idea what the admissions process is.

Date: 2011

Classes and professors are generally excellent. Overall, academics are easily the best of any school I've attended. Professors are also extremely devoted to teaching and very available to students. Workload and classroom expectations are rigorous but manageable. Lots of variety in classes offered, so it's easy to specialize in lots of interesting areas, or just explore various facets of the law.

Other

Date: 2011

classes were wonderful. my professors were extremely engaging, and eager to involve students in class discussions as well as discussions outside of class. professors regularly enlisted students as research assistants, so if you were interested in a particular area of the law, it was easy to get more one-on-one experience working directly with the professor. there were a very broad array of classes to choose from, including the traditional law classes, as well as classes not so traditional (i.e. sexual violence and the law, blood feuds)

ann arbor is an amazing place to be a student. there is a ton of culture, things to do, different professional schools around (business school, med school, etc) so you're constantly engaging with other students outside of the law school. There are a ton of places to go out to eat, and the feel of the community is inspiring, you leave ann arbor with a real sense of pride and love for the university.

Date: 2011

The University of Michigan Law School has an exceptional academic program. The school offers a large variety of classes that include theoretical and practical applications. I took a course on law and economics in India, a course on media law, and a course on legal issues that effect boards of directors. The Socratic method is heavily used through most of the school, although some professors are more lenient than others. Classes range from 10 to 90 people but even in a large course the professors always seem to know everyone's name. Grading is fair but not easy. Professors are always available to meet, even outside of business hours. Many professor take part in half-credit semester long courses that have fun titles and often involve food. One of the things that Michigan Law School stands out for is its cooperative spirit. People share notes and outlines, and are always happy to help explain a concept. No one hides books in the library or any of the other scary rumors that float around at other law schools. The workload is intense but manageable.

Cost of living is cheap and there is a variety of housing options. I lived off-campus only 7 minutes away from the law school. The law school also has housing for law students called the Lawyer's Club. The law school's facilities are great. The library is large and clean. There are numerous computer labs throughout the school. The neighborhood is student-oriented with lots of restaurants and coffee shops. Crime and safety is well-handled by both campus and local police. Students are extremely happy with the school and Ann Arbor.

Comments

The University of Michigan Law School's admissions process involves an essay question, other short essays, a high LSAT score, and the general application.

Date: 2011

As a 1L, classes were all theory. However, on the whole, profs still managed to connect theory with practical hypos. Incredible first-year legal writing program. The curve is no different here than at other top law schools. Large, survey first-year courses, but next semester as 2L I am going to be in several classes of 60 or less students (one class only has 15). It is competitive and supportive at the same time. I respect and am continually impressed by my professors, even moreso by my peers.

The school's facilities are gorgeous; Ann Arbor is safe and fairly inexpensive; and it is a great, supportive community of students.

Comments

The "Why Michigan?" essay is unique to Michigan Law's application process. For me, the whole process felt very personal and I felt like I was being assessed in a holistic manner. Admissions office was very responsive to my needs.

Date: 2011

The lawyers club was great when I lived there, but they are making massive renovations that will make it even better. Significantly so.

Date: 2011

Emphasis on theory; Socratic method is mainly used; class size for 1L classes was 90.

Cost of living is relatively expensive for most incoming students, but Ann Arbor is a very good city with lots to offer to each type of person.

Comments

LSAT and application.