Law School
University of Michigan

4.7 of 5 stars Average Student Rating (of 112 Student Reviews)

Submit a School Review

In my two years, the courses and professors have all been excellent. The courses lean toward theoretical, but also bring in practical examples - not to mention the various clinical opportunities for students who want a more hands-on education. The work is challenging but not at all prohibitive of a social life. I've had as much fun in law school so far as I did as an undergraduate.

Regardless of whether you live on campus, the Lawyers Club housing sets the tone for Michigan Law. It's a friendly, inviting place that makes the transition to law school incredibly smooth. And that effect spreads out to the entire law school community. The facilities are unbelievable, especially considering that we're in the process of pouring another $150 million into our facilities in the new few years.

The "Why Michigan?" question is understood to carry significant weight, as well as the personal statement in general. I have a strong sense from my interactions with other students that they all had very interesting stories to tell in their personal statements.

The University of Michigan Law School has an exceptional academic program. The school offers a large variety of classes that include theoretical and practical applications. I took a course on law and economics in India, a course on media law, and a course on legal issues that effect boards of directors. The Socratic method is heavily used through most of the school, although some professors are more lenient than others. Classes range from 10 to 90 people but even in a large course the professors always seem to know everyone's name. Grading is fair but not easy. Professors are always available to meet, even outside of business hours. Many professor take part in half-credit semester long courses that have fun titles and often involve food. One of the things that Michigan Law School stands out for is its cooperative spirit. People share notes and outlines, and are always happy to help explain a concept. No one hides books in the library or any of the other scary rumors that float around at other law schools. The workload is intense but manageable.

Cost of living is cheap and there is a variety of housing options. I lived off-campus only 7 minutes away from the law school. The law school also has housing for law students called the Lawyer's Club. The law school's facilities are great. The library is large and clean. There are numerous computer labs throughout the school. The neighborhood is student-oriented with lots of restaurants and coffee shops. Crime and safety is well-handled by both campus and local police. Students are extremely happy with the school and Ann Arbor.

The University of Michigan Law School's admissions process involves an essay question, other short essays, a high LSAT score, and the general application.

The course offerings at Michigan are varied and uniformly excellent. Perhaps by virtue of choosing a law school in a college town -- Ann Arbor -- faculty members at Michigan love teaching and interacting with students.

Ann Arbor is a fantastic place to go to law school.

Classes and professors are generally excellent. Overall, academics are easily the best of any school I've attended. Professors are also extremely devoted to teaching and very available to students. Workload and classroom expectations are rigorous but manageable. Lots of variety in classes offered, so it's easy to specialize in lots of interesting areas, or just explore various facets of the law.

Other

The Law School aims at providing a seemingly one-on-one teaching experiance regardless of class size. Some classes are very large (60+ students), but most classes are much smaller. Regardless of class size, professors manage to challenge every student on a personal level and engage all students in enriching intellectual discussion. A great aspect of the school is that a student may choose from many fields of study. Many of my friends and classmates pursued corporate law, or commercial litigation, while many others pursued careers in public interest. There was never any judgment from either side, and all sides worked together towards common goals in the classroom and the community.

Ann Arbor is a true college town, and the beauty of the Law School is that it is its own unit, but located directly in the heart of the campus. Students are welcomed into the greater community of both the University of Michigan as a whole, and the town of Ann Arbor. Living is very affordable, food is inexpensive, libraries are abundant, and safety is top level.

I don't fully recall the full admissions process, but I do know that I was astounded and pleasantly surprised to see the vast array of students admitted to the law school, and that all were truly and carefully hand picked! There were ample financial aid opportunities for all students, and the school made sure to always stay competative as far as provision of scholarships for students was concerned.

I enjoyed nearly all of my classes at Michigan. There was quite a mix of class formats to choose from--e.g., seminar, mini-seminar, large "traditional" classes, clinics, etc. I benefited from all types and would recommend that approach to other students as well.
I found the faculty to be extremely accessible and willing to help me in my day-to-day as well as my future endeavors---whether that might be finding a clerkship, searching for a summer position, or dealing with personal challenges.

I loved Ann Arbor and enjoyed living off-campus all 3 years. The whole town centers around the university which results in a nice atmosphere.

I believe that Michigan's admissions process is truly unique. They go past the seemingly all important, but yet of relatively little value, LSAT scores. The result is a very diverse, interesting, down-to-earth, and incredibly intelligent group of students. I learned not only from my professors but also from my peers. I was impressed at the incredible backgrounds of my peers--doctors, pharmacists, scientists, athletes, parents, artists, ....
Impressive scholarships are also offered which helps add to the mix of students.

As a 1L, classes were all theory. However, on the whole, profs still managed to connect theory with practical hypos. Incredible first-year legal writing program. The curve is no different here than at other top law schools. Large, survey first-year courses, but next semester as 2L I am going to be in several classes of 60 or less students (one class only has 15). It is competitive and supportive at the same time. I respect and am continually impressed by my professors, even moreso by my peers.

The school's facilities are gorgeous; Ann Arbor is safe and fairly inexpensive; and it is a great, supportive community of students.

The "Why Michigan?" essay is unique to Michigan Law's application process. For me, the whole process felt very personal and I felt like I was being assessed in a holistic manner. Admissions office was very responsive to my needs.

very theoretical in the standard instruction, however there are amazing clinical options for the practical side. There is a mix of Socratic and other teaching. Grading is similar to other schools, but not gold stars like the Yales of the word.

Highish cost of living, but you are 1 minutes from the school. Ann Arbor is amazing! No crime, amazing cultural opportunities ranging from Shakespeare to midnight showings of The Room. Also, the new building and Lawyers Club upgrades should make this the most modern, yet beautiful campus in America.

very standard application process

There is a nice variety of classes; the only class that's really lacking is a robust statutory interpretation/legislation class, and the admin professors are not great.

Unbelievably accessible and pretty and a great way to get to know other students.

I don't know if there's anything particularly unique; the school gives out Darrow Scholarships (full and half tuition merit scholarships) for exceptionally qualified applicants and also gives our other scholarships with more limtied criteria.

The intellectual environment generally at Michigan Law is rigorous, stimulating, and ultimately very rewarding. Classes adhere to the Socratic method and engage students with the difficult nuances and complexities found within the foundational legal doctrine. The 1L year was intense but I have learned a great deal about myself and the law already in my time at the Law School.

The campus and student life is vibrant in Ann Arbor and the resources and opportunities are extensive at this great public university. It's a nice combination of down-to-earth college town with the opportunities of a world-class institution.

The admissions process was holistic, taking account of a number of factors and not automatically cutting people out of the process. It also gave a number of options for personal essays and was tailored to individual applicants with a focus on what unique qualities and abilities he or she would contribute to the diversity and academic community of the Law School.