Law School
University of Michigan

4.7 of 5 stars Overall Student Rating (112 Student Reviews)

Date: 2011

Comments

Standard essay, plus a specialized essay. LSAT score. Used LSAC.

Date: 2011

The Socratic method is definitely still used in all 1L classes as well as in a few upper level classes. Most of my post 1L classes were smaller "seminar-style" classes which were less rigorous than a 1L class but in which the professors were able to bring out enough genuine participation without having to use the Socratic method, which was always much appreciated. I never found Michigan Law to be a competitive place, even during 1L. I was always a collaborative student that shared outlines and studied in groups for exams and found that there was lots of that going on around me. People don't talk about grades I found, except occasionally with friends.

Wonderful! The Lawyer's Club is a perfect place to spend 1L year; a decent cafeteria and great opportunity to make friends with many of your 1L classmates right away. It's also a stone's throw away from the library and classes so you have everything you need! Off campus rent and the cost of living in general in Ann Arbor is very reasonable; you can $600-800ish a month for a nice apartment walking distance to campus and less for a room in a house or anything farther than walking distance. Ann Arbor is a perfect college town so there's lots of great cheap food very close to the law school as well as all nightlife options. I always felt very safe on and off campus.

Comments

Michigan definitely seems to look at all the usual factors in admissions. I found that current students don't talk very much at all about what their LSAT scores or other qualifications were, but based on the few LSAT scores that I did know of among my friends, it seemed like Michigan has slightly broader range in scores among current students than other top schools. The application I remember being pretty straight forward, with the essay questions being fair. I didn't receive financial aid but know that a few of my friends with financial aid offers from other schools were able to easily talk about them with the admissions office and sometimes successfully negotiate a larger aid package than initially offered. I found out about my acceptance for fall semester quite early, which was nice, I remember earlier than most other schools I had applied to.

Date: 2011

very theoretical in the standard instruction, however there are amazing clinical options for the practical side. There is a mix of Socratic and other teaching. Grading is similar to other schools, but not gold stars like the Yales of the word.

Highish cost of living, but you are 1 minutes from the school. Ann Arbor is amazing! No crime, amazing cultural opportunities ranging from Shakespeare to midnight showings of The Room. Also, the new building and Lawyers Club upgrades should make this the most modern, yet beautiful campus in America.

Comments

very standard application process

Date: 2011

Professors are all high caliber and have a diverse background. Some have extensive research backgrounds, others have extensive practical experience (especially professors who lead clinics and teach courses like contracts and evidence). Some of the best classes are practicums that are run by current judges and/or federal prosecutors because they expose students to practical experience. The legal writing program is exceptional especially Professor Falon's class who really takes extreme care to teach students to write well and with precision necessary for the legal profession.

The law quad was great for me because I was new to Ann Arbor, Michigan and law school. The law school food is fine in the dormitory area and very convenient. I lived off campus my 2L and 3L years but they were close to the law school and I always felt safe walking around.

Comments

It is important to have great grades and scores but the admissions office cares deeply that the personal statement, additional statements and the recommendations are very good. I think that they focus on the overall credentials because they realize that many people applying have similar if not identical top grades/LSAT scores.

Date: 2011

Quality of classes: outstanding. All all teachers are humanistic, enthusiastic, practical, clear, inspired, brilliant, fun, kind. Competitiveness: Students work hard, absorb the strain of the curve in a down economy well, without projecting hostility towards classmates via unproductive competitive/alpha attitudes. They display curiosity and engage their developing knowledge and interests in thoughtful conversations in the hallways, dining halls, etc. It's the kind of place where students will volunteer their notes if you have to miss a class. Class sizes: 1L were mainly 100-person classes, which does not feel big. 1 class was 40. Sure, it's a top school and it has notable faculty. Personally, I don't believe this speaks to a school's quality of teaching, but rather it's scholarship and prestige. There are study-abroad opportunities, though I haven't looked into them, so I can't elaborate. Socratic Method: Yes. All teachers used it in 1L to varying degrees. Some use it exclusively, most use it half the time, a couple used it infrequently. The SM provides a good incentive to read extremely carefully. There are literally dozens of helpful meetings throughout the year to help students determine what courses or focus they might wish to pursue.

COL is cheaper than a big city due to small-town locale. The gym, pool, jogging parks, computer labs, library, moot court, etc... are all excellent. The English Gothic campus is gorgeous. Plenty of variety in restaurants. We'd get occasional emails alerting us to robberies around campus... I assume this is typical of a large university, I don't know.

Comments

Standard in terms of materials required for admission. However, I and many us noted amongst ourselves that the Dean of Admissions is particularly unique. She (Dean Zearfoss) goes above and beyond to communicate with the prospective students she is interested in admitting. Being married and living in a different state, for example, I had particular concerns about going to Michigan and she made every effort to help guide my decision. She also made every effort to ensure I'd attend certain Michigan Law events and discuss whatever concerns I had in person. Once I arrived at the university, Dean Zearfoss had lunch with me and many others and would occasionally check in and discuss or give feedback on opportunities we might be interested in (alumni connections, internship possibilities, ideas for journal notes, etc). She genuinely loves her work and that is amply evident.

Date: 2011

High quality of classes; emphasis on doctrine and theory; varied use of Socratic method based on the professor's style; advising should be sought out by students; class sizes are varied; larger classes are more competitive; average workload; lots of international opportunities.

Cost of living is low in the midwest, everything is close to campus, very collegial atmosphere.

Comments

Questions are standards on the applications; LSAT range is high 160s/low 170s; the process also takes into consideration the candidate as a whole, their background and what they could bring to the law school

Date: 2011

I loved classes at Michigan. The professors are exceptionally accessible and brilliant. There is a general focus on theory but there are also seminars that allow for more practical application. Also, the clinical program is great, and a structured externship program (seminar paired with support in finding an externship placement) is offered periodically (approximately once per year). I didn't find it to be competitive at all, although that might be changing as the job market gets tougher. Most professors use the socratic method 1L year and in large, basic classes (evidence, crim pro, etc); it tapers off for upper-level classes and is nonexistent in seminars. There is a great externship program for students to work with NGOs in Geneva (Switzerland), although the number of students that can participate is limited. It seems that research opportunities exist, but generally students are approached by a professor rather than the other way around. Most of the classes I took were large (around 100 students), but each semester I had at least one smaller lecture or seminar; in my later semesters, a number of my classes were small. Getting into seminars can be competitive, and in some cases the professors get to pick their students, but students generally get most of the classes they want. The workload is tough, as it is at any law school, but students found ways of managing their stress and choosing a mix of classes such that it was manageable.

Ann Arbor is a great place to live. It's not too expensive and housing options are varied. Housing right near campus is not that nice for the price (perhaps $800-$900 for a one-bedroom) but students that are willing to walk for 15 or 20 minutes might not be able to find a cheaper place, but they can find a nice one for the price. The campus is beautiful and the law quad is one of the most picturesque places I've ever seen. The library and computer labs are excellent. There is a moot courtroom that is used by clinical students and it is good, including advanced A/V capabilities. There is dorm housing that people seem to like, although it does not include kitchen facilities; I believe that the dorms are about to be renovated. The neighborhood is safe and fun, as campus is integrated with downtown Ann Arbor. Community relations, crime, and safety are all very good. In general, students are very happy.

Comments

Michigan asked us to write an essay basically indicating why we wanted to go to law school. There was also an LSAT requirement. The admissions process was very standard. Financial aid seems to be generally in the form of merit scholarships and loans, although some students might also get need-based grants. It seems that merit scholarships are somewhat more available for in-state students. I received a merit scholarship in an amount equal to half the yearly tuition at the time I enrolled; this scholarship helped a lot but as tuition rose in my 2L and 3L years, the scholarship covered a decreasing share (as the scholarship did not go up each year).

Date: 2011

I found the professors engaging in class and available outside of class. Class sizes were sufficiently large, and the reputation of the school sufficiently sound, that there was very little pressure to claw your way to #1. Colleagues were cooperative - sharing notes was the norm.

I lived in the Lawyer's Club - on campus law student dorm - for two years. I found the environment very encouraging and friendly. It is a safe atmosphere, and the community dining experience is excellent for bringing law students together.

Comments

I filled in an application, wrote several essays, took the LSAT and applied. I did not participate in financial aid/scholarships.

Date: 2011

There is a nice variety of classes; the only class that's really lacking is a robust statutory interpretation/legislation class, and the admin professors are not great.

Unbelievably accessible and pretty and a great way to get to know other students.

Comments

I don't know if there's anything particularly unique; the school gives out Darrow Scholarships (full and half tuition merit scholarships) for exceptionally qualified applicants and also gives our other scholarships with more limtied criteria.

Date: 2011

Most classes are awesome, but of course, they vary by professor. Most large classes combine theory and practical application, usually involving the Socratic style of teaching. Seminar classes are often theoretical, while practicums and clinics provide practical experience through either role playing or representing real clients. There isn't a clinic for every area of practice, but where there isn't a clinic, there is usually a practicum that gives students a better field for real world practice. Many faculty members are leaders in their field, and I've been lucky to take classes from professors whose names alone give me credibility in my field of study when I apply for internships and jobs.

Ann Arbor is the best college city ever. It really caters to students, so not only are the libraries and school buildings open late (or even 24-hours), but so are many restaurants and coffee shops. While the cost of living may be a little more than other cities, it's nothing near New York or Chicago prices. There isn't much crime, there is always something going on (on campus or off), there are many great restaurants (some are famous), and we have great Big 10 sports teams to top it all off.

Comments

U of M's application process was very similar to the other law schools I applied to. There weren't too many essay questions, and obviously I needed to take the LSAT. Some scholarships were awarded upon acceptance, but the financial office was very helpful when figuring out money questions.

Other