The academic experience at Michigan is uncommonly wonderful. Every professor seems to relish teaching both because they generally enjoy teaching and because they are passionate about the subject matter (I'm still not sure if the passion drives them to become experts in the field or if the expertise leads to passion). Either way, both their knowledge and zeal for teaching are evident. Workload is heavy, as can be expected at any law school. Class sizes vary from tiny (less than 10 students) to large (90-100 students). The faculty and staff are all very accessible so academic and career advising is readily available for those who seek it.

Even during sometimes intense and unnecessarily prolonged winters, Ann Arbor and Michigan Law are beautiful places to be.

From what I recall, Michigan had a number of optional essay questions in addition to the main required one from which applicants could choose and answer two. I find these optional essays are a chance to distinguish yourself further and make clear why you are applying to that particular school.

Quality of classes: outstanding. All all teachers are humanistic, enthusiastic, practical, clear, inspired, brilliant, fun, kind.
Competitiveness: Students work hard, absorb the strain of the curve in a down economy well, without projecting hostility towards classmates via unproductive competitive/alpha attitudes. They display curiosity and engage their developing knowledge and interests in thoughtful conversations in the hallways, dining halls, etc. It's the kind of place where students will volunteer their notes if you have to miss a class.
Class sizes: 1L were mainly 100-person classes, which does not feel big. 1 class was 40.
Sure, it's a top school and it has notable faculty. Personally, I don't believe this speaks to a school's quality of teaching, but rather it's scholarship and prestige.
There are study-abroad opportunities, though I haven't looked into them, so I can't elaborate.
Socratic Method: Yes. All teachers used it in 1L to varying degrees. Some use it exclusively, most use it half the time, a couple used it infrequently. The SM provides a good incentive to read extremely carefully.
There are literally dozens of helpful meetings throughout the year to help students determine what courses or focus they might wish to pursue.

COL is cheaper than a big city due to small-town locale. The gym, pool, jogging parks, computer labs, library, moot court, etc... are all excellent. The English Gothic campus is gorgeous. Plenty of variety in restaurants. We'd get occasional emails alerting us to robberies around campus... I assume this is typical of a large university, I don't know.

Standard in terms of materials required for admission. However, I and many us noted amongst ourselves that the Dean of Admissions is particularly unique. She (Dean Zearfoss) goes above and beyond to communicate with the prospective students she is interested in admitting. Being married and living in a different state, for example, I had particular concerns about going to Michigan and she made every effort to help guide my decision. She also made every effort to ensure I'd attend certain Michigan Law events and discuss whatever concerns I had in person. Once I arrived at the university, Dean Zearfoss had lunch with me and many others and would occasionally check in and discuss or give feedback on opportunities we might be interested in (alumni connections, internship possibilities, ideas for journal notes, etc). She genuinely loves her work and that is amply evident.

The academics at Michigan were top notch. I received excellent mentoring from professors, and had the opportunity to interact with them both inside and outside the classroom. There are a number of small classes that allow students to focus on specific areas of the law that interest them. Seminars present a wonderful opportunity to engage in a personal give and take with professors and other students, and represent a very nice change of pace from the more traditional coursework. There is also the chance to conduct original research and independent study.

I lived "off campus," but just a block or two away from the law quad. Ann Arbor is a great place to be a student--safe, with lots of great restaurants, and, of course, Michigan football.

Michigan has excellent scholarship opportunities, including a full scholarship plus stipend (the Darrow Scholarship).

classes were wonderful. my professors were extremely engaging, and eager to involve students in class discussions as well as discussions outside of class. professors regularly enlisted students as research assistants, so if you were interested in a particular area of the law, it was easy to get more one-on-one experience working directly with the professor. there were a very broad array of classes to choose from, including the traditional law classes, as well as classes not so traditional (i.e. sexual violence and the law, blood feuds)

ann arbor is an amazing place to be a student. there is a ton of culture, things to do, different professional schools around (business school, med school, etc) so you're constantly engaging with other students outside of the law school. There are a ton of places to go out to eat, and the feel of the community is inspiring, you leave ann arbor with a real sense of pride and love for the university.

Classes are taught by some of the smartest people you'll ever meet. Faculty always have open doors and frequently take students out to lunch or invite them over to their homes.
As with other top schools, classes are usually more theoretical than practical, but practical skills can be honed in a number of different ways--Michigan offers many clinics, externships, etc. that all help students to get outside the classroom.
Classes are not competitive AT ALL. Students happily share notes and outlines and there's never any hesitation to help a student in need. This goes back to the "playing nice with others" requirement that the Admissions Office is looking for. Everyone knows that they're smart, so there's no need to make a show of it. And everyone knows they're going to have a job when they graduate, so there's no pressure to be in the top x% of your class.

I can't imagine being happier anywhere else. Students at Michigan are surrounded by lovely people, which really goes a long way toward making law school as pleasant an experience as it can be.

Michigan is looking for the top students in the country, but they seem to focus heavily on finding students who will fit into the Michigan environment. Being insanely smart is important, but it's also important to play nice with others and to be someone that your fellow students will want to spend time with. As with any top school, responding to additional essay questions can benefit your application, when done well. Applicants should take every opportunity to show the file readers that they have a good personality to go along with their stellar GPA/LSAT score.

My professors were very intelligent, accomplished scholars who really engaged students in class and were willing to communicate with students outside of class as well. Several professors literally wrote the book on their class subject--the restatement or the most widely used treatise or a textbook. Michigan instills a real sense of collegiality among the students and the competition among them is minimal. I felt like I left Michigan with a stellar legal education.

Ann Abror is a great town to live in, no matter your marriage or family status. It is a great place for single students and equally great for married students and students with families. I felt very safe in Ann Arbor. The police would e-mail crime alerts anytime something happened in Ann Arbor and it was comforting how infrequent they were sent.

The Socratic method is definitely still used in all 1L classes as well as in a few upper level classes. Most of my post 1L classes were smaller "seminar-style" classes which were less rigorous than a 1L class but in which the professors were able to bring out enough genuine participation without having to use the Socratic method, which was always much appreciated. I never found Michigan Law to be a competitive place, even during 1L. I was always a collaborative student that shared outlines and studied in groups for exams and found that there was lots of that going on around me. People don't talk about grades I found, except occasionally with friends.

Wonderful! The Lawyer's Club is a perfect place to spend 1L year; a decent cafeteria and great opportunity to make friends with many of your 1L classmates right away. It's also a stone's throw away from the library and classes so you have everything you need! Off campus rent and the cost of living in general in Ann Arbor is very reasonable; you can $600-800ish a month for a nice apartment walking distance to campus and less for a room in a house or anything farther than walking distance. Ann Arbor is a perfect college town so there's lots of great cheap food very close to the law school as well as all nightlife options. I always felt very safe on and off campus.

Michigan definitely seems to look at all the usual factors in admissions. I found that current students don't talk very much at all about what their LSAT scores or other qualifications were, but based on the few LSAT scores that I did know of among my friends, it seemed like Michigan has slightly broader range in scores among current students than other top schools. The application I remember being pretty straight forward, with the essay questions being fair. I didn't receive financial aid but know that a few of my friends with financial aid offers from other schools were able to easily talk about them with the admissions office and sometimes successfully negotiate a larger aid package than initially offered. I found out about my acceptance for fall semester quite early, which was nice, I remember earlier than most other schools I had applied to.

I was more impressed with Michigan Law than I imagined I would be. Everyone admitted to Michigan is extremely smart and capable. Our professors, with a few possible exceptions, are excellent teachers. The exceptions are highly intelligent but need to learn how to teach. All of our classes are based more on theory than practial study -- Criminal Law is the exception. The Socratic method is used in a mixed method -- usually a mixture of volunteering and cold calling. Professor JJ White is the only professor to use it in its purest form -- from my experience. The faculty is very impressive -- if they haven't written the case book they have a special and unique knowledge of that area of the law they teach. Michigan Law is not a cut throat school but it is highly competitive. For the most part people are nice to each other but sometimes people have done things to reflect their dislike of others. Its the exception but I'm glad I do not go to a more competitive school -- this is enough for me. I would say my biggest problem with Michigan Law (and probably lawyers in general) is the self-centeredness factor. Near, there is a belief that everyone is God's gift to the world. I think at other places each indivdual thinks they are are better gift than the person next to them. Its a difference and it helps but its still comfortable for me. I wish we were more humble. Workload is a lot but very managable.

The cost to live in the Lawyer's Club is a bit much and I was not pleased with the lack of help during move-in and move-out. Overall, I think the Lawyer's Club is a nice place to live but I definitely think its for the best that they are renovating the place. Facilities are great for the most part and I think they will get even better with the new additions.

I decided to finallly attend law school in July 2009 and wanted to apply for that year's cycle. Unfortunately, I had little done to achieve that end. No valid LSAT score, no letters of recommendation, no essays. I took a LSAT prep class through Kaplan and immediately began writing my personal statement. I wrote the diversity and Why Michigan supplemental one page essays. After taking the LSAT at the end of September 2009, I completed my application and submitted it in October 2009. I had a lot of help with the application process from an application adviser I had through my undergrad institution -- the University of Michigan. I was quickly accepted to Michigan State, Wayne State and U of D Mercy law school. I received full scholarship offers to Michigan State and U of D. I received at 50% offer to Wayne State. I decided to attend Michigan State, if I did not get into Michigan Law. Fortunately, I did and I get to stay blue!

Both theory and practical; probably more theory than a lot of other places have (and most of us were happy with that). Class sizes generally small after the first year. Fairly collaborative/supportive atmosphere as law schools go. Faculty very approachable, supportive, willing to help.

Cost of living is low. Great down, great campus. Small town, so very safe. Easy access to a major airport. School facilities are all very good (and will be better after the ongoing construction, the inconveniences of which were well managed by the administration).

LSAT, a pretty standard application with a couple essays. No interviews.

You'd have to ask the dean of admissions, who actually runs it.