Law School
University of Michigan

4.7 of 5 stars Overall Student Rating (112 Student Reviews)

Date: 2011

One of the great things about Michigan is that it has something for everyone and a student can really make what they want out of their law school career. There are lots of seminars and clinics offered. Many students studied abroad in the programs set up in, among other places, Geneva, London, and South Africa. Classes were competitive in the sense that they were challenging and filled with bright students, but were not so competitive that people were unfriendly or unwilling to be helpful. There wasn't a single class that I share outlines with my classmates and have them do the same with me. First year classes tend to be a bit more typical, having around 80 students and are graded on a curve. My professors were engaging and tended to find a good balance between theory and practice.

Ann Arbor is a great place to go to law school. There is a diverse spread of events and activities. Ann Arbor has a very college town feel that gives you the opportunity to really get to know your classmates and others at the university because there is always that common bond. For the most part it is not an expensive place to live, although rent can be a bit high for certain areas on campus. The law school accommodations are nice and improving with all of the recent construction.

Comments

On the surface, the Michigan admission process appears to be much like all the other law schools. But the admissions office (and particularly Dean Zearfoss) really digs into the submissions by every applicant. Going into each application season, the admissions office has an idea of the type of class and each of the individual pieces that an applicant might bring to Michigan. So while Michigan is selective with respect to LSAT and GPA, I believe that it is closer to very selective because it wants an interesting and genuine person along with high numerical statistics.

Date: 2011

The first year legal writing course is a highlight - those professors, in particular, want to get to know each student on an individual basis and help them achieve their professional goals. Professors across the board, though, are very eager to get to know students - much more so than at my undergraduate school. My 1L criminal law professor invited a group us to her house for a home-cooked brunch; my constitutional law professor took small groups of 4 out at a time to lunch. Clinical offerings are particularly popular, especially the human trafficking clinic and the innocence clinic. Seminars fill up quickly, and are a wonderful way to get to know professors who can eventually become your clerkship letter of recommendation writers. The first year workload was not nearly as bad as I imagined - by the second semester, I spent about one hour working outside of class per hour in class. Upperclassmen are very eager to help 1Ls with outlines and informal advice, as well as through a formal tutoring program. My 1L sectionmates were a very collaborative, non-competitive bunch. I like to think of Michigan as a school where everyone is smart, but where people don't take themselves too seriously. Douchebaggery is frowned upon.

If you love football, you'll fit right in. If you don't think you love football, you're wrong! I didn't know a thing about football before I got here, but my classmates patiently described the intricacies of the game, and you'll see me at every home game at the Big House! Ann Arbor is a college town with many reasonably-priced housing and dining options. The town is very safe, and it's not uncommon to run into your professors shopping at the local grocery store or getting coffee downtown.

Comments

Pretty standard application for schools in the top 14 (LSAT, personal statement, 2 required letters of recommendation). There were a series of optional essays as well, but they were truly optional - I didn't submit one. A substantial percentage of the class receives some sort of merit-based aid - most in the form of ~$10k/year scholarships. About 14 matriculants each year receive the prestigious Darrow scholarship, which provides up to full tuition for all three years and a summer stipend of $7,500 for the first year summer.

Date: 2011

The academics at Michigan were top notch. I received excellent mentoring from professors, and had the opportunity to interact with them both inside and outside the classroom. There are a number of small classes that allow students to focus on specific areas of the law that interest them. Seminars present a wonderful opportunity to engage in a personal give and take with professors and other students, and represent a very nice change of pace from the more traditional coursework. There is also the chance to conduct original research and independent study.

I lived "off campus," but just a block or two away from the law quad. Ann Arbor is a great place to be a student--safe, with lots of great restaurants, and, of course, Michigan football.

Comments

Michigan has excellent scholarship opportunities, including a full scholarship plus stipend (the Darrow Scholarship).

Date: 2011

The course offerings at Michigan are varied and uniformly excellent. Perhaps by virtue of choosing a law school in a college town -- Ann Arbor -- faculty members at Michigan love teaching and interacting with students.

Ann Arbor is a fantastic place to go to law school.

Date: 2011

Professors are generally great teachers, and you learn who to avoid. They do a decent job of selecting their big names for 1L classes. The atmosphere is competitive, especially during this climate, but we're told people are friendlier and more helpful to one another than at other top schools, and so I think the kind of people who want that self-select into the school. The workload is very demanding.

Comments

There was one short supplemental essay (with a choice of topics). I also wrote another supplemental essay after I was informed I was being considered for the Clarence Darrow merit scholarship. I ended up being awarded that scholarship, which was full tuition for all four years.

Date: 2011

Fantastic - wide range of class offerings; accessible, brilliant, engaging professors; numerous clinical opportunities. Grading guidelines struck me as fair, and similar to most other law schools'; students almost always were able to get into courses of their choice.

Ann Arbor is the jewel in Michigan's crown, but a jewel in one of the nation's most economically strapped states nonetheless - cost of living runs about 1/3 of what it does in NY or SF. In addition, the law school itself is considered the architectural gem of the University - it wasn't unusual to see brides and grooms getting their wedding photos snapped in the Quad. While the current space is a bit cramped, the law school is about to open an absolutely gorgeous, state-of-the-art new building; I only wish I had attended the school long enough to take advantage of it. The library always struck me as more than adequate, though it feels a bit outdated architecture-wise. The moot courtroom is gorgeous, Ann Arbor is charming and vibrant. Overall happiness - a 10.

Comments

Totally standard. No unique application questions.

Date: 2011

Quality of classes: the vast majority of professors and adjuncts are great scholars, and interesting personalities. Most of them know how to teach their disciplines in a way that would prevent you from taking a nap during the class. Theory vs. practical study: Michigan offers it all. You can take purely theoretical classes or choose among a multitude of clinics, seminars, and practicums. The Socratic method: not all of the professors routinely use it - especially during the second and third years. Class sizes are manageable. Ranges from as many as 100+ at some first-year classes to as few as 5+. On average: 30-40 people in a class. Competitiveness: people are undoubtedly competitive but try to remain nice. People do help each other. Most of the uber nerds are humble, though Michigan has its small repository of noisy jerks.

Ann Arbor's cost of living wasn't that high. The school itself is one of the most beautiful buildings I have ever seen. Michigan definitely has is the most beautiful law school campus of the U.S. schools. Facilities are great. The old library is breathtaking. The new library is unique in its architectural design. The moot courtroom is state-of-the-art. Housing and dining options are plenty. Neighborhood is safe and quiet. The only thing I didn't like about Michigan is that it is rather cold there, and the sky is grey a lot of the times.

Comments

I remember Michigan had more optional essay questions than other peer schools that I applied to. I took it as a sign that they really are interested in who I was. They also gave me a scholarship to fund my studies.

Date: 2011

As with any school, some of the classes are great and some are satisfactory. But they were all hard at Michigan Law, and I loved it. I became especially close with the people in my small section my 1L year. The Socratic method was used in almost all of my classes, except for the seminars. I did a semester-long externship the first semester of my 3L year and it was fantastic. Everyone at Michigan Law is smart, but it wasn't the hellish competitive atmosphere that I expected of law school. I have a genuine affection for the people I went to law school with, and I don't think many people can say that. Michigan Law students are 1) very smart, 2) very engaged, and 3) nice and fun to be around.

Ann Arbor is great. I had a big and comfortable but also inexpensive studio apartment three blocks from the law school and I stayed there all three years. It's a great campus and a great atmosphere.

Comments

Standard difficult law school application process. Long application which at the time included a specific "why do you want to go to Michigan" question. High LSAT scores needed.

Date: 2011

I got a lot of practical experience, and this is due to the many opportunities the school offers for practical learning. For instance, I was a student attorney in the general clinic and the human trafficking clinic, and I also worked as a student attorney at an externship at the South African Human Rights Commission. Perhaps because I am focused on a field of law that doesn't draw too many students (international human rights law), I never felt any competitiveness from other students. It always felt like the students in my classes were supportive of my learning and studies.

The school has a couple of nice gyms that law students can use, and they are never very crowded. The Law Library is quite nice and spacious, and the computer labs are almost always very free.

Comments

The applications essays are quite different from other schools' essays - they seem to ask questions that get more to who an applicant is as an individual, and the essays give you chance to be creative and open. This was not the case with the other top-15 schools I applied to.

Date: 2011

Both theory and practical; probably more theory than a lot of other places have (and most of us were happy with that). Class sizes generally small after the first year. Fairly collaborative/supportive atmosphere as law schools go. Faculty very approachable, supportive, willing to help.

Cost of living is low. Great down, great campus. Small town, so very safe. Easy access to a major airport. School facilities are all very good (and will be better after the ongoing construction, the inconveniences of which were well managed by the administration).

Comments

LSAT, a pretty standard application with a couple essays. No interviews.