Law School
University of Michigan

4.7 of 5 stars Average Student Rating (of 112 Student Reviews)

Submit a School Review

Classes are taught by some of the smartest people you'll ever meet. Faculty always have open doors and frequently take students out to lunch or invite them over to their homes.
As with other top schools, classes are usually more theoretical than practical, but practical skills can be honed in a number of different ways--Michigan offers many clinics, externships, etc. that all help students to get outside the classroom.
Classes are not competitive AT ALL. Students happily share notes and outlines and there's never any hesitation to help a student in need. This goes back to the "playing nice with others" requirement that the Admissions Office is looking for. Everyone knows that they're smart, so there's no need to make a show of it. And everyone knows they're going to have a job when they graduate, so there's no pressure to be in the top x% of your class.

I can't imagine being happier anywhere else. Students at Michigan are surrounded by lovely people, which really goes a long way toward making law school as pleasant an experience as it can be.

Michigan is looking for the top students in the country, but they seem to focus heavily on finding students who will fit into the Michigan environment. Being insanely smart is important, but it's also important to play nice with others and to be someone that your fellow students will want to spend time with. As with any top school, responding to additional essay questions can benefit your application, when done well. Applicants should take every opportunity to show the file readers that they have a good personality to go along with their stellar GPA/LSAT score.

classes were wonderful. my professors were extremely engaging, and eager to involve students in class discussions as well as discussions outside of class. professors regularly enlisted students as research assistants, so if you were interested in a particular area of the law, it was easy to get more one-on-one experience working directly with the professor. there were a very broad array of classes to choose from, including the traditional law classes, as well as classes not so traditional (i.e. sexual violence and the law, blood feuds)

ann arbor is an amazing place to be a student. there is a ton of culture, things to do, different professional schools around (business school, med school, etc) so you're constantly engaging with other students outside of the law school. There are a ton of places to go out to eat, and the feel of the community is inspiring, you leave ann arbor with a real sense of pride and love for the university.

My professors were very intelligent, accomplished scholars who really engaged students in class and were willing to communicate with students outside of class as well. Several professors literally wrote the book on their class subject--the restatement or the most widely used treatise or a textbook. Michigan instills a real sense of collegiality among the students and the competition among them is minimal. I felt like I left Michigan with a stellar legal education.

Ann Abror is a great town to live in, no matter your marriage or family status. It is a great place for single students and equally great for married students and students with families. I felt very safe in Ann Arbor. The police would e-mail crime alerts anytime something happened in Ann Arbor and it was comforting how infrequent they were sent.

Both theory and practical; probably more theory than a lot of other places have (and most of us were happy with that). Class sizes generally small after the first year. Fairly collaborative/supportive atmosphere as law schools go. Faculty very approachable, supportive, willing to help.

Cost of living is low. Great down, great campus. Small town, so very safe. Easy access to a major airport. School facilities are all very good (and will be better after the ongoing construction, the inconveniences of which were well managed by the administration).

LSAT, a pretty standard application with a couple essays. No interviews.

You'd have to ask the dean of admissions, who actually runs it.

Quality of classes are great - good mix of theoretical and practical classes. Michigan offers a wide variety of classes taught by exceptional academics as well as practicing lawyers, some of whom fly in from Los Angeles or New York just to teach classes. Michigan prides itself on a collaborative environment: students strive to do their best, but always with a helpful hand. Whenever someone 's computer crashes, another helpful student is always there, offering outlines or class notes.
Michigan's study abroad opportunities are exceptional. Students have the option of studying in London, Hamburg, and Tokyo, to name a few; as well as spend a semester doing an externship in Geneva, South Africa,, London, and more. If there isn't a program at a student's location of interest, students have the option of creating their own externship program. Michigan is extremely accommodating in this regard.

The Lawyers Club, Michigan Law's dorm system, is in the self-enclosed law quad and provides for beautiful view of the quad and a 2-minute walk to classes. The dining hall food gets old, but it is worth the food boredom to meet fellow law students from other sections you might otherwise not have the chance to meet. The Lawyers Club is an especially attractive option for 1Ls, as the convenience to classes and the library are incredible, and the opportunity to meet other students provides for a fun and enjoyable introductory year to law school.

Standard application process, though Michigan does invite students to submit additional short answers/essays to Michigan-tailored questions. In this way, the law school can gauge one's level of interest in Michigan and their fit for the law school.

I was more impressed with Michigan Law than I imagined I would be. Everyone admitted to Michigan is extremely smart and capable. Our professors, with a few possible exceptions, are excellent teachers. The exceptions are highly intelligent but need to learn how to teach. All of our classes are based more on theory than practial study -- Criminal Law is the exception. The Socratic method is used in a mixed method -- usually a mixture of volunteering and cold calling. Professor JJ White is the only professor to use it in its purest form -- from my experience. The faculty is very impressive -- if they haven't written the case book they have a special and unique knowledge of that area of the law they teach. Michigan Law is not a cut throat school but it is highly competitive. For the most part people are nice to each other but sometimes people have done things to reflect their dislike of others. Its the exception but I'm glad I do not go to a more competitive school -- this is enough for me. I would say my biggest problem with Michigan Law (and probably lawyers in general) is the self-centeredness factor. Near, there is a belief that everyone is God's gift to the world. I think at other places each indivdual thinks they are are better gift than the person next to them. Its a difference and it helps but its still comfortable for me. I wish we were more humble. Workload is a lot but very managable.

The cost to live in the Lawyer's Club is a bit much and I was not pleased with the lack of help during move-in and move-out. Overall, I think the Lawyer's Club is a nice place to live but I definitely think its for the best that they are renovating the place. Facilities are great for the most part and I think they will get even better with the new additions.

I decided to finallly attend law school in July 2009 and wanted to apply for that year's cycle. Unfortunately, I had little done to achieve that end. No valid LSAT score, no letters of recommendation, no essays. I took a LSAT prep class through Kaplan and immediately began writing my personal statement. I wrote the diversity and Why Michigan supplemental one page essays. After taking the LSAT at the end of September 2009, I completed my application and submitted it in October 2009. I had a lot of help with the application process from an application adviser I had through my undergrad institution -- the University of Michigan. I was quickly accepted to Michigan State, Wayne State and U of D Mercy law school. I received full scholarship offers to Michigan State and U of D. I received at 50% offer to Wayne State. I decided to attend Michigan State, if I did not get into Michigan Law. Fortunately, I did and I get to stay blue!

The Socratic method is definitely still used in all 1L classes as well as in a few upper level classes. Most of my post 1L classes were smaller "seminar-style" classes which were less rigorous than a 1L class but in which the professors were able to bring out enough genuine participation without having to use the Socratic method, which was always much appreciated. I never found Michigan Law to be a competitive place, even during 1L. I was always a collaborative student that shared outlines and studied in groups for exams and found that there was lots of that going on around me. People don't talk about grades I found, except occasionally with friends.

Wonderful! The Lawyer's Club is a perfect place to spend 1L year; a decent cafeteria and great opportunity to make friends with many of your 1L classmates right away. It's also a stone's throw away from the library and classes so you have everything you need! Off campus rent and the cost of living in general in Ann Arbor is very reasonable; you can $600-800ish a month for a nice apartment walking distance to campus and less for a room in a house or anything farther than walking distance. Ann Arbor is a perfect college town so there's lots of great cheap food very close to the law school as well as all nightlife options. I always felt very safe on and off campus.

Michigan definitely seems to look at all the usual factors in admissions. I found that current students don't talk very much at all about what their LSAT scores or other qualifications were, but based on the few LSAT scores that I did know of among my friends, it seemed like Michigan has slightly broader range in scores among current students than other top schools. The application I remember being pretty straight forward, with the essay questions being fair. I didn't receive financial aid but know that a few of my friends with financial aid offers from other schools were able to easily talk about them with the admissions office and sometimes successfully negotiate a larger aid package than initially offered. I found out about my acceptance for fall semester quite early, which was nice, I remember earlier than most other schools I had applied to.

Academics at Michigan are top notch. The professors and staff are outstanding, and true leaders in their respective fields, often having written the textbooks used in the class, whether the class is at Michigan or elsewhere around the country.

Quality of life is top notch. Ann Arbor is a fascinating city in the best state in the country.

Applicants must submit LSAT scores and recommendations, which can be done through LSAC/LSDAS. There are plenty of scholarship opportunities. There is not a separate application that must be initially filed for at least some of these opportunities, though one may be required at some point in the process.

The majority of first year courses are taught in bigger sections. However, after those are completed, the remaining classes are smaller seminar types. The professors who teach these classes all have come from top level clerkships, and have the predicate professional experience to make their classes even more relevant.

This place is very much a community atmosphere. In my time at the law school I have not had a negative experience with staff, administration, students or professors.

I had to submit a personal statement, diversity essay, LSAT, and LSAC reports.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)