Law School
University of Michigan

4.7 of 5 stars Overall Student Rating (112 Student Reviews)

Date: 2011

Each of the professors I had was available for follow up discussions and questions. At Michigan, you really feel like you're part of close knit community of students and professors. That said, the classroom experience is quite varied--some professors use the Socratic method while others prefer a hands on approach meant to stimulate actual practice. While the atomsphere is competitive in some respects, it is more motivating than cut throat.

Date: 2011

The Law Quad is the aesthetic jewel of Ann Arbor.

Date: 2011

Socratic method used in majority of classes. Great majority of professors are experts and published in the respective fields. Good balance of theory and practical classes. This law school has an opportunity for any/all interests. Students are competetive but do not sacrifice comraderie. The fact that class rank is not disclosed, fosters a collegial environment.

I have not expereinced campus living/dining, but all other services and facilities are great. A bit expensive, but you get what you pay for. Crime has risen in the area just South of the law quad, but common sense safety (like not jogging by yourself at 2AM) would prevent 90% of these crimes.

Comments

In addition to the traditional personal statement, application requested optional essays on specific interest in the University of Michigan Law School, career plans, if grades and test scores reflect applicant's ability to succeed in law school, overcoming a failure or setback, experience with diversity and how applicant would contribute to diversity of class, and skills and values of a good lawyer.

Date: 2011

The structure of the classes varies based upon the content of the course. Doctrinal courses tend to be more Socratic. While the style of the classes has varied, the quality of the instruction is consistently high. Faculty are highly recognized in their respective fields and accessible to students. Students interest in research have ample opportunity, encouragement and support (including a Student Research Roundtable)

Cost are about a high as one would expect around a large research university. Whatever you want your life to be, you can find it. I live very close to campus and feel secure in an around campus.

Date: 2011

The classes are extremely good, for the most part, with some exceptions. The doctrinal classes are more geared towards theory than practice, though classes like tax, that lend themselves to practical application more immediately, are taught with a more practical bent. The socratic method depends on the professor, and I've had a good mix. The clinic opportunities are superb, and one of the best things I have ever done in my time at Michigan.

You come to Michigan because you want the Michigan experience, including having a social life focused on the law school and other law students, the accessibility afforded by 95% of the student body living in close walking proximity, and the experience of attending law school at the best law school in the Big Ten. The library is adequate, and the reading room is beautiful. I've never felt unsafe on campus, and Michigan does a good job of keeping students safe, including free rides home after 10PM, security guards are consistently visible, and the campus police patrol. I think most people here are generally very happy.

Comments

Michigan has fairly standard admissions practices, but they do allow you to write optional essays to illustrate your interest in the school.

Date: 2011

There is a wide variety of courses, fitting almost any law student's individual interest. The Law School has a number of well-known and accomplished professors in their fields. Although law school is inherently competitive, Michigan law students do not let competition get in the way of maintaining great relationships with their colleagues. Students are overwhelmingly courteous. No one tears pages out of library books here. People readily share outlines.

The Law Quad is one of the most beautiful law school building complexes in the country, and with a new building addition is about to add quite a bit more space. Space is plentiful and the library is one of the most impressive. And of course the Gothic Reading Room speaks for itself. Although living close to campus can be a bit expensive in Ann Arbor, there are many nice and affordable housing options a bit outside the immediate university locale.

Comments

Very thorough application review process. Dean Zearfoss takes special care to write a personal note to every admitted student on his or her letter of admission. Merit scholarships are awarded fairly, without regard to whether an applicant has committed to attending the law school yet or not. Michigan Law does not try to "game" the financial aid process.

Date: 2011

While there are practical courses and seminars the majority of the courses are theoretical. Some professors are obsessed with the Socratic method, but the majority of them use it sparingly after 1L courses. Michigan has a unique and extremely valuable externship program that provides a substantial amount of flexibility for students to pursue their interests. While 1L classes are somewhat competitive, it never gets out of control. This may be because students aren't all competing in the same markets.

The cost of living is spectacular. There are a number of affordable very housing options within a 10 minute bus ride of the law school.

Comments

The application was not particularly difficult. They allowed a separate personal statement, but did not require one. There are several scholarship opportunities, many of which do require a unique essay.

Date: 2011

Classes are taught by some of the smartest people you'll ever meet. Faculty always have open doors and frequently take students out to lunch or invite them over to their homes. As with other top schools, classes are usually more theoretical than practical, but practical skills can be honed in a number of different ways--Michigan offers many clinics, externships, etc. that all help students to get outside the classroom. Classes are not competitive AT ALL. Students happily share notes and outlines and there's never any hesitation to help a student in need. This goes back to the "playing nice with others" requirement that the Admissions Office is looking for. Everyone knows that they're smart, so there's no need to make a show of it. And everyone knows they're going to have a job when they graduate, so there's no pressure to be in the top x% of your class.

I can't imagine being happier anywhere else. Students at Michigan are surrounded by lovely people, which really goes a long way toward making law school as pleasant an experience as it can be.

Comments

Michigan is looking for the top students in the country, but they seem to focus heavily on finding students who will fit into the Michigan environment. Being insanely smart is important, but it's also important to play nice with others and to be someone that your fellow students will want to spend time with. As with any top school, responding to additional essay questions can benefit your application, when done well. Applicants should take every opportunity to show the file readers that they have a good personality to go along with their stellar GPA/LSAT score.

Date: 2011

The Law School aims at providing a seemingly one-on-one teaching experiance regardless of class size. Some classes are very large (60+ students), but most classes are much smaller. Regardless of class size, professors manage to challenge every student on a personal level and engage all students in enriching intellectual discussion. A great aspect of the school is that a student may choose from many fields of study. Many of my friends and classmates pursued corporate law, or commercial litigation, while many others pursued careers in public interest. There was never any judgment from either side, and all sides worked together towards common goals in the classroom and the community.

Ann Arbor is a true college town, and the beauty of the Law School is that it is its own unit, but located directly in the heart of the campus. Students are welcomed into the greater community of both the University of Michigan as a whole, and the town of Ann Arbor. Living is very affordable, food is inexpensive, libraries are abundant, and safety is top level.

Comments

I don't fully recall the full admissions process, but I do know that I was astounded and pleasantly surprised to see the vast array of students admitted to the law school, and that all were truly and carefully hand picked! There were ample financial aid opportunities for all students, and the school made sure to always stay competative as far as provision of scholarships for students was concerned.

Date: 2011

Comments

1) Other than the standard Personal Statement and Resume, Michigan also asks for applicants to submit 2 optional essays from a list of 7 topics provided by the admissions office. 2) Apart from these essays, the factors in selection are the same - LSAT, GPA, Work Experience, Extra-curricular activities. 3) Scholarship notices are sent a few months into the admissions process to admitted students. Usually they are awarded on a pretty straightforward formula based on GPA and LSAT. 4) 14-20 Darrow Scholarships are awarded every year which are basically full rides. Dean Zearfoss sends out emails to a select number of students out of whom the Darrow scholars are chosen. These students then submit additional essays and a committee comprising members of the faculty select the final recipients of the scholarship.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)