Beautiful compus

August 2016 | CURRENT STUDENT

low living expenses, amazing professors, beautiful campus, many social activities

It is a little in the middle of nowhere and there is no big shopping mall in this area where the school is located.

Comments

If you are not plan to buy a car, think twice before applying to it.

High quality

High quality

High LSAT score

Very good nut & bolts education in black letter law, combined with excellent practice skills and some unique offerings related to legal theory and policy

Don't remember

Cost of living is very low, and the quality of housing is quite high.

Financial Aid and Scholarship opportunities, once admitted, is very good. Dean Paul Pless continually works with students to secure financial funding throughout students three year stay.

Practitioner's school. If you actually want to practice law, this is the place to go.

Compared to other law schools I visited, I felt Illinois had the best atmosphere- friendly, academically intense, and open to new ideas.

Illinois has fantastic scholarship opportunities and was very open to meeting my financial needs.

Students are very supportive of one-another. Not a competitive environment.

I love everyone there.

Admissions Essay
2 particularized essays
LSAT
Admission Fee Waiver if LSAT over 160

1L class sizes were about 60 students. Most of my IP classes were 10-20 students. Some of the large foundational classes (basic Tax, basic Bankruptcy) were probably around 100 students. The school offers the usual practical classes such as clinics and externships.
One area that UIUC has excelled in is in bringing outside professors, often foreign, to the school for short courses on international and comparative law. As I may go overseas for work, this has been very helpful.

I'm not sure what the difference would be between "on campus" and "off campus" here, other than perhaps more noise from undergrads running around getting drunk. Champaign-Urbana is a college town (well, towns). It does seem that the closer to the central campus area one lives, the more noise and vomit one encounters (thanks to the undergrads).
Crime is a lot lower than where I went to undergrad, which was in a major crime-ridden city. Cost of living is much lower.
The facilities at the law school itself are, I think, quite nice. The formal courtroom is nicer than many of the real ones I've seen. I'd say that most of us think UIUC is a wonderful law school; our professors are great, students try to help each other out, and so on.

I don't recall anything unusual in the application, just LSAT, personal statement, and the usual disclosures. UIUC has a reputation for giving out lots of scholarship money, but I was unaware of this when I applied.

I went to undergrad at University of Illinois, as well. I lived on campus during that time. It can be loud with the undergrads, so for law students it is better to live off campus.

nnn

Good mix of theoretical and practice-oriented classes.

Standard.