Great school, relatively strong value

July 2018 | FORMER STUDENT

The professors are top notch. It is relatively small and you are paying tuition on the lower end compared to other top 40 schools.

There were some challenges related to diversity and inclusion. I assume that’s not uncommon for any law school.

Comments

Overall great school. I’ll mention that I had classes with 3 federal judges, including Gorsuch, and 2 state Supreme Court justices. It really does attract great academics, and is simply a tier above the other law school in the state in most metrics, but at a lower price tag.

Better than TLS would have you believe

July 2015 | CURRENT STUDENT

I've had good and bad professors, but the good ones have been great!

Genuinely collegial environment--there's competition, obviously, but it really is kept at a minimum.

Lack of resources from the career services office: I'm filling out this review to get access to the law firm guides for OCI, which most law schools already provide for their students.

Not having a reading week before finals

Comments

CU Law really is a great school. I can't imagine being anywhere else. If you are looking for a school where you'll learn a lot but will also be able to make good friends and not have to worry about an absurdly cut-throat environment, CU is definitely for you!

Great School in a Beautiful Location!

March 2015 | FORMER STUDENT

Beautiful location and facilities, great faculty, cooperative and collegial atmosphere. Great entrepreneurial law clinical program.

On campus recruiting was fairly limited. It was difficult to find an job outside of the Colorado market.

Comments

Boulder is a great city in which to live. Students should take advantages of opportunities to work with faculty in a small seminar style environment.

The class style largely depends on the professor. Most of the first year profs. use the Socratic method. After that, it is easier to find more laid back profs. In general, students are happy to help each other and are not very competitive. Rather, they are more focused on everybody enjoying their law school experience and understanding the material.

Everybody is wicked nice.

Colorado law school is extremely selective. It is among the top 20 most selective law schools. This is great because it means that you know you will be studying with high achieving and small students.

median LSAT score is 163 (90%)
median undergraduate GPA is 3.6

The classes are good. I had a professor first semester that really disappointed me. She missed and canceled classes a lot, we didn't learn a lot, and she was terrible at replying to emails. Other than that stand out disappointing class, the rest of the classes are really great and so are the professors. Academic advising could be a lot better! Almost non-existent.

Cost of living in Boulder is expensive. But Boulder is beautiful. The law school is beautiful. I generally feel safe. Students/faculty seem to be happy.

Pretty much the same as the rest of the admissions processes I encountered ... personal statement, LSAT, GPA, application form, etc. One difference is that it seemed like there was a lot fewer scholarships available to incoming students and it took the school forever to notify me about scholarships. I received a lot of scholarships to every other school I applied to and none from CU. The only reason I chose CU was because I am a resident of CO it was cheaper even without any scholarships. That was a little disappointing though.

Faculty are top notch (it's not hard to attract national caliber faculty to Colorado), with renowned experts in natural resources and water law, indian law, venture capital and entrepreneurship, and telecom/energy, among others. Class sizes are very reasonable (most under 30), and faculty are skilled and accessible. Most use a modified Socratic method with cold calls. Students work hard, but the atmosphere is remarkably collegial. For students who aspire to be at the top of their class, the workload is heavy.

I love it here. The academics are rigorous, but students both work and play hard. Housing starts at around $500/month for shared apartments. The new law building is excellent - a great resource and a nice place to work. Students (and faculty) come to Colorado because they want a balance - serious study and great quality of life. It doesn't hurt to have the foothills at our doorstep, skiing within 30 minutes (larger mtns 1.5 hrs), and a vibrant town (Boulder has 100,000 people; Denver is 1/2 hour away with no traffic).

The admissions process prioritizes on-campus visits, as it's hard to communicate the feel of the school otherwise. One personal anecdote - I emailed 12 professors cold when I was considering attending. Every single one responded and most suggested that we set up a phone call. I did not receive this response at most other schools that I considered.
Colorado Law has increased scholarship opportunities significantly under our current Dean. Tuition is still very reasonable compared to most private law schools; however, it has been rising due to decreased funding from the state. We shouldn't see much in additional cuts (as the state contribution has approximately bottomed out).

All of my professors created an excellent environment conducive to learning. Not all of them engaged in the socratic method, however, even those that do, do so in a respectful manner. No teacher has ever made a student cry or feel stupid. Class size varies from around 90 people in large lectures to 6 in a seminar. Students are competitive but respectful and collegiate. No one has refused to send me their notes or given me the wrong answer to a question. Only the top third of the class is ranked (and these rankings are not posted) so if you are not in the top third then you never know if you are the last person or right below the cut off. We generally don't talk about grades among our friends. Our faculty is very accessible, they are always willing to meet outside of class to talk about school or future jobs.

Boulder is like any college town since the undergraduate community is also there so it drives up the cost of living. If you go 10, 20 or 30 minutes outside of Boulder the prices go down and Denver is only about 40 minutes away if you prefer to live in the city. The mountains are so close, it's so easy to go hiking or biking after class. Snowboarding and skiing are within 45 minutes - 3 hours depending on where you want to go. Generally the sunshine keeps people very happy as well. Colorado is a Leed certified school and has a lot of a recycling. Crime and safety overall is fairly good - there are some issues with the undergraduate campus. The school has a lot of computers and study spaces, the library is very modern and they are constantly asking for our feedback and implementing improvements. There is a tea/coffee shop right in the cafe which also sells some food items. We also have one appellate courtroom and one trial courtroom.

Scholarships are available to prospective students with very high test scores and grades, however, after the first year the school had a wide range of scholarships available for 2Ls and 3Ls to apply for.

Excellent. Much use of the Socratic method, but not too much.

The quality of professors is absolutely outstanding. My professors are incredibly brilliant, have very impressive resumes, and are respected experts in their respective fields. The University of Colorado strikes a very good balance between theory and practical study, with classes with less black letter law tending to focus more on policy and classes with more black letter law focusing less on policy. Class sizes are large, for the most part, but I am a first year student and we are all taking the same courses, so again this is understandable. Grading seems to be fair and the standards by which we are judged are clearly articulated to students. The workload appears to be less than some of the top 14 law schools, but my only experience with those schools is through mutual friends, so they could be overstating their actual workload (or the increased workload may be necessitated by the higher quality, harder working students those schools attract). The University of Colorado is unique in that it is not competitive in the least bit. Students are incredibly willing to work together, and the school fosters this positive, helpful environment by the friendliness and accessability of its administrative staff and professors. The University's only shortcoming may be its lack of structured advising for first year students. Of course, students can get advice from any of their professors quite easily, and it may be better this way, since students are encouraged to "network" with their professors.

Boulder is amazing. Our law school building is state of the art and brand new. Our library is beautiful, spacious, and there are always open computer workstations with very high end machines available for use. The community is incredibly safe, and the students here seem to be very happy.

Nothing particular unique from other law schools. Scholarship opportunities likely similar to other schools. LSAT and LSAC GPA are understandably given great weight in the admissions process, though I am proof positive that the University of Colorado takes a holistic approach to admissions.