The Law School
University of Chicago

4.5 of 5 stars Overall Student Rating (65 Student Reviews)

0 (1)

Date: 2010

Exceptional quality classes. The material leans away from the practical and towards the more "academic," which I love. Socratic method is more heavy 1L year, then classes become more lecture/discussion based. Not very competitive, but people take their work seriously. Exceptional faculty that are very committed to teaching. Lots of research and writing opportunities.

Cost of living is reasonable. Campus is nice, but in an out of the way and inconvenient location. Library, labs, classrooms etc are fantastic. Dining in Hyde Park is miserable, but I live out of the neighborhood and rarely eat near school. Crime is a bit of a problem, overall happiness is pretty high.

Comments

Essay, LSAT, Grades, Recs, etc. Same as any top tier law school.

Date: 2010

Most professors use the socratic method, which when properly executed, is far superior to any other method. Seminars are usually 10-20 students, and lecture classes range anywhere from 10 to around 120 for the main 1L classes. Faculty is amazing and is what sets this school apart from its peers. Grading system, in my opinion, is ideal. It identifies the very top students so that are good candidates for the most selective clerkships and similar positions, and it also protects/muddles everyone else so that employers can't distinguish, say, the 40th percentile from the 60th percentile. Lots of great research opportunities. We were required to write two "substantial" research papers, which can be quite serious works if one so desires.

Lots of options, both private and University-affiliated, in the neighborhood. The neighborhood is both inexpensive and safe.

Comments

Typical process: essay, LSAT, etc. I was a borderline candidate, so I was asked to come in for an interview and write an additional essay on a given topic. I actually really enjoyed both the essay and the interview.

Date: 2010

I'm told our academics are amazing here, but it's pretty frustrating to realize that after 3 years at a top law school, I will know MAYBE 1% of the things I need to for the bar. I wish things were a little more practical.

Date: 2010

It's definitely more theoretical than practical, but if you want a more hands-on approach, there are plenty of seminars that are more practical. So basically it's up to you. There's a big range in terms of how Socratic professors are. In general, most 1L classes are pretty Socratic and later classes less so. The classes and professors are amazing. The faculty is well-respected scholars who are also approachable, and there are a lot of young professors who seem like they'll be the "next big thing." People often label the school as competitive, but that's false. People never talk about grades here, it's just an unspoken social norm that it's not cool to talk about. Workload is typical of a top-tier school.

Cost of living is pretty good, especially near campus in Hyde Park. It's a boring neighborhood though and has quite a bit of crime, typical of a big city. If you move farther north, there's a lot more to do, and some neighborhoods are safer, but it is more expensive than Hyde Park. The facilities are nothing special, but there's lots of space to study, and the library has lots of windows, which is nice. The adjoining undergrad campus is beautiful and gothic if you miss that atmosphere.

Comments

Pretty standard. I received an answer after about two months (waitlisted) and then heard that I got in the day after decision day.

Date: 2010

I came to U of C for the professors and I have never regretted that decision. Every day I am blown away by how brilliant and accessible the faculty are. I have been taught by 7th Circuit Judges, Supreme Court nominees, former Supreme Court clerks, etc. and they are not just brilliant, but also wonderful professors. The faculty are also amazingly accessible. If you sit in the Green Lounge for about 30 minutes, you are guaranteed to have at least one professor come up and sit next to you just to ask you what you think about the school. The professors are as interested in what we have to say as we are in what they have to say. I have been to several professors home and interacted with may outside of the classroom. We have monthly Greenberg seminars where small groups of students go to a professor's house to talk about more informal legal topics (i.e. Mob crime or Wine and the law).

Chicago is an awesome city. I had never lived here before and was very East-coast centric. I have completely fallen in love with the city and will be staying here after graduation. It's a fraction the price of the coastal cities but with all the same amenities. Unfortunately Hyde Park sucks. It's not as dangerous as people make it out to be but it is spectacularly boring and isolated. There isn't even a movie theater, let alone decent bars or shops. Most students move "up north" and commute to school because HP sucks so much. This makes the social life a little fractured since people are all over the city, but we have weekly bar review and lots of house parties to bring people together. It also makes it much easier for us to enjoy the city by going out to dinner, comedy shows, movies or doing thing like having a BBW on the lakefront, going to the beach, or seeing a Cubs game at Wrigley.

Comments

LSAT, Essay, Phone Interview

Date: 2010

The classes are wonderful. There is a good mix between theoretical and practical courses. The seminars are small. The school is not as competitive as one might think because everyone is confident that they will land a great job.

The facilties are state-of-the-art

Comments

Must submit an LSAT score, essays, and transcripts through LSAC.

Date: 2010

Classes generally focus on theory, although there is a practical course requirement. Socratic method is heavily used even in upper-level courses. The grading scale is opaque and can be difficult to explain to employers. The faculty are outstanding and well-renowned in their fields. There are no study abroad opportunities, and the school discourages outside moot court competitions.

Cost of living is relatively cheap if you live in Hyde Park. Campus is nice, though the Law School could be redesigned. The library is good, although there should be more study space and more computers. The moot courtroom is nice. Dining is relatively awful at the Law School, although options have improved with the opening of a new undergraduate dining hall across the street.

theory

Date: 2010

I've been very impressed with the caliber of the faculty and students. There are ample opportunities to interact with the faculty and do independent research. Many of the classes focus on theory, and I actually wish there were more practical classes offered.

The school is not in a great neighborhood, so no one lives very close. Most 2Ls and 3Ls live on the north side of Chicago, which makes it harder to stay in touch with classmates. The library and computer lab are generally great places to work - they were recently renovated - but the library does not have a strong wireless signal (very frustrating). The dining facility is okay, but the cafe has limited hours, especially on weekends.

Date: 2010

Chicago academics are outstanding. The most popular classes (like Corporations, Bankruptcy, or one of the 5 Constitutional Law courses) can have over 100 students, but generally classes are on the smaller side. Professors generally use the Socratic method, but rarely in a cruel or mean manner. Professors here are always willing to meet and discuss the material (or other ideas) outside of class. I have found my classmates to be engaged and interested in learning, but not overly competitive. There are a lot of discussions about the law outside the classroom. We have notable faculty, but having now taken 9 quarters worth of classes, I would say that the best ones I had came from younger faculty. Chicago has some serious rising stars, and I hope they stay. The grading scheme is weird, but I think it works to our advantage as no one really understands what the grading system means.

The Law School is a bit of a bubble, separated from the rest of the University. The Law School itself is nice, although not anything spectacular. The renovations to the classroom wing and library over the past decade have definitely improved things. Hyde Park is reasonably affordable and I have chosen to stay here all three years. It definitely is not full of excitement, but I have a car and can go out across the city for entertainment.