2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Standard application with one essay, LSAT, gpa.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Heavy on the socratic method. Real grading - i.e. gradation between and amongst students. 1L classes are about 90 in size. The faculty are outstanding. The approach is probably theoretical leaning.

Only Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Stanford,NYU and arguably Penn and Berkeley are more difficult to get into. You need excellent LSAT scores and very good grades.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The professors are top of the line. They're very devoted to out-of-class discussions. They also make class more interesting by incorporating their own scholarship into the text book's cases.

Hyde Park is beautiful and has a great cultural and academic feel to it. However, it has its limits due to the fact that it's primarily a campus town at the edge of Chicago. The law school's building is great and everything feels brand new.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Class is primarily theoretical; if you can get into one of the practical clinics, it will change your entire view of the school. I would love a study-abroad program but U of C is really hung up on their faculty (even though they all seem to be leaving).

The financial aid opportunities are not great; I don't recall any particularly odd essay questions but the LSAT score is very high. They should really implement an interview process to cut down on some of the least socially adapted students.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Excellent professors who actually know how to teach, and easy to get to know. Course sizes are larger than I was used to coming from a liberal arts college, but still quite manageable (and shrink considerably after 1L year). As an aspiring academic, I've had a ton of research opportunities, including RA work for two professors and two workshops taken for credit. The work is hard, but fair, and people are always willing to help each other out.

Cost of living is good. Hyde Park is definitively not good. Such are the trade offs of life.

I don't recall anything special about it in addition to the standard LSDAS material.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

I really enjoy the academics at Chicago. The classes, which are mostly run with the traditional Socratic method, are generally engaging, with faculty members that are accessible. The classes do spend a lot of time on law & econ methods.

Rent is a lot cheaper than where I was living before. While Hyde Park isn't great (though it does have more to offer than I thought it would), I really like the law school itself. The design of the school, especially the library, really facilitates interactions with the faculty and other students.

LSAT with a fairly standard application.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Lots of Socratic method, very theory-based, very intensive. UChicago is intellectually rigorous, don't come here if you're just looking for a degree.

I don't live on campus, I live farther north & my COL is pretty low for Chicago. The UChicago campus is just beautiful, and right by the lake. However, if you do live on campus it's easy to feel cut-off from the rest of Chicago because Hyde Park is so far south, and transportation to & from is not spectacular. The Chicago library is fantastic. Very quiet, wireless internet everywhere, and you can usually always find a place to study. The law school's "cafeteria" is pathetic but there are other, better options within walking distance. The campus is in Hyde Park, in the city of Chicago so crime is sometimes an issue, but it is certainly safe during the day & at night so long as you take the proper precautions.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Nearly all of my professors 1L year are better than ANY of the teachers I had during my undergrad years at [fancy Ivy League institution]. No joke. Grading is harsh, classes are tough, and, like, um, you learn a lot.

U of C puts lots of students on "hold" and often requires held students to write an additional essay in order to gauge their interest in the school. This is generally seen as a "yield protection" scheme; since there are so few slots available, U of C has to be sure it admits students who demonstrate a high likelihood of actually attending (since matriculation rate affects the USNWR rankings). For what it's worth, after being waitlisted (after being "held" -- the process was excruciating), I wrote a letter specifically detailing my reasons for wanting to attend. I was accepted virtually the next day!

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Personal statement and letters of recomendation sent to the Dean of Foreign Students.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

I'm told our academics are amazing here, but it's pretty frustrating to realize that after 3 years at a top law school, I will know MAYBE 1% of the things I need to for the bar. I wish things were a little more practical.