The Law School
University of Chicago

4.5 of 5 stars Average Student Rating (of 65 Student Reviews)

Submit a School Review

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Some of the finest legal scholars in the world engage students with a good balance of theory and practice. Socratic method is the norm for first-year classes. The class size is on the smaller side, though first-year courses are, of course, quite large (about 90-100 students). The caliber of students is high, but the competitiveness inherent in a challenging system doesn't bar collaboration and socializing between the students. The faculty is unparalleled, and the opportunities are endless. The only thing lacking is time enough to take advantage of them all.

The neighborhood isn't great, but campus is nice. Interesting architecture, great libraries and facilities, wonderful gym, plenty of relatively affordable housing. Can't find a good burger of fries within 10 miles, but there are lots of hair salons. Crime and overall safety haven't been as bad as I expected, but the surrounding neighborhoods are rather notorious.

Pretty standard admissions process, except that it occurs on a later schedule than the other law schools.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The classes are wonderful. There is a good mix between theoretical and practical courses. The seminars are small. The school is not as competitive as one might think because everyone is confident that they will land a great job.

The facilties are state-of-the-art

Must submit an LSAT score, essays, and transcripts through LSAC.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

very theoretical. small class size. law and economics oriented. notable faculty.

just requires a personal statement, lsat score, and application

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Though I can't speak to the quality of teaching at any other law school, I have found the quality at U of C to be truly exceptional. I was initially skeptical about the law school's claim that the professor are truly interested in teaching- since it's a claim that any law school can make costlessly-but in this case they were right. The "worst" professors I've had have still been decent-perhaps dry, but never unpleasant. The best professors I've had have been engaging, friendly and usually leaders in their field. Professor Baird probably stands out as the prototypical excellent instructor and scholar and I've availed myself of his classes at every opportunity.

Chicago is ridiculously cheap for a top rate city. Coming from New York, I was shocked to see rent at about half what you'd pay in New York for comparable properties. Hyde Park is nice and has all the amenities you need for the first year of law school. Where it falls short (nightlife, restaurants...etc), you can simply hop on the bus or train to downtown.

Nothing particularly unique about the admissions process. They have merit scholarships, though.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The focus on law and economics is unique and exciting! Being the home of Richard Posner certainly helps.
My class is particularly competitive, probably because of the current state of the legal market and worries about finding summer jobs.
I haven't found the socratic method to be terribly intimidating or overwhelming. I prefer it to listening to people who raise their hands all the time.

Cost of living is fantastically low, especially compared to the East coast schools in New York and Washington. We live like kings for less than students at NYU live like paupers.
Hyde park has a reputation, but it is not like the rest of the south side, as far as safety goes. I have no problems walking around alone at night here. I feel very safe.
The campus is absolutely beautiful. It's like a little oasis in the middle of the city. Gothic architecture everywhere. It's incredible.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Great faculty, small classes, except for core 2L subjects (Corporations, antitrust), should offer multiple sections of those classes.

Pretty quick, seemed to be all LSAT/GPA. Admissions office was good in making contact though.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

I think our law school is one of the very best, if not the best, in terms of classroom learning. Our professors really are very amazing. The one drawback is that there is no study abroad opportunities.

The cost is much better than NYC and California, by a long shot. Hyde Park is basically safe if you take care of yourself, but it can get dicey late at night, especially south of 60th street. A lot of people complain about lack of restaurants, but I've found that there are plenty in Hyde Park, and it's really easy to get downtown or up North where there are a bunch more. I've enjoyed living here.

It's the same basic process as all other schools, but we also have a binding early-admission program.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Class is primarily theoretical; if you can get into one of the practical clinics, it will change your entire view of the school. I would love a study-abroad program but U of C is really hung up on their faculty (even though they all seem to be leaving).

The financial aid opportunities are not great; I don't recall any particularly odd essay questions but the LSAT score is very high. They should really implement an interview process to cut down on some of the least socially adapted students.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

I'm told our academics are amazing here, but it's pretty frustrating to realize that after 3 years at a top law school, I will know MAYBE 1% of the things I need to for the bar. I wish things were a little more practical.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Excellent classes, rigorous compared to most other institutions, Socratic method used in all 1L classes but not as much the 2nd and 3rd year, class sizes are small, large number of distinguished professors

Cost of living is high, getting to campus is fairly easy with the school's transportation system, facilities are leading edge and accessible, library is great, crime and safety may be the only negative

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)