The Law School
University of Chicago

4.5 of 5 stars Overall Student Rating (65 Student Reviews)

0 (1)

Date: 2010

Though I can't speak to the quality of teaching at any other law school, I have found the quality at U of C to be truly exceptional. I was initially skeptical about the law school's claim that the professor are truly interested in teaching- since it's a claim that any law school can make costlessly-but in this case they were right. The "worst" professors I've had have still been decent-perhaps dry, but never unpleasant. The best professors I've had have been engaging, friendly and usually leaders in their field. Professor Baird probably stands out as the prototypical excellent instructor and scholar and I've availed myself of his classes at every opportunity.

Chicago is ridiculously cheap for a top rate city. Coming from New York, I was shocked to see rent at about half what you'd pay in New York for comparable properties. Hyde Park is nice and has all the amenities you need for the first year of law school. Where it falls short (nightlife, restaurants...etc), you can simply hop on the bus or train to downtown.

Comments

Nothing particularly unique about the admissions process. They have merit scholarships, though.

Date: 2010

very competitive, not remotely practical for real world lawyering, dogshit curve that hurts far more than it helps.

Comments

very standard process. got a decent scholarship off the waitlist.

Date: 2010

The professors are amazingly accessible and well-versed in their fields, with a good selection of small seminars and interesting fields alongside the core classes. Even large classes are taught by the more renowned faculty. Classes tend to be very Socratic, though not mean-spirited. Competitiveness is low, mainly because nobody really knows what anyone else's grades are, so it's hard to tell where exactly you might be in the class.

The campus is beautiful, and very accessible from the law school. Cost of living in Hyde Park is reasonable and lower than most other places in Chicago. Dining options have improved since the new campus dining hall was installed right behind the law school, and it's become a semi-regular place to eat for both students and faculty. Crime is not as big a problem as it's made out to be; though going too far south of campus can be worrisome, there's not much reason to go there either.

Comments

I was waitlisted, and was offered the opportunity to submit an additional essay or additional recommendation letter after I was advised of my waitlist status.

Date: 2010

Most classes are small in size with a lot of opportunities for participation and Socratic interrogation. The faculty is small and elite, meaning that we get to work closely with renowned minds on a day-to-day basis. The balance of the work is theoretical; practically-oriented classes focus on federal law, rather than state law. There are many opportunities for independent study programs. I think grading is fair and uninflated, but the system is peculiar enough that we can't really tell. It has all the obscuring effect of a pass/fail, but the pressure of letter grades. Students don't compete with each other or try to put each other down - everything's very good-natured in that dimension.

The campus is wonderful. Hyde Park is not. It's very dull and limited. Safety isn't a concern - Hyde Park isn't any less safe than any other city. Chicago gets hideous in the winter.

Comments

...Well, I mean, it looked just like any other admissions process.

Date: 2010

The academics are top notch, but nobody comes to UChicago looking for real world knowledge. The teaching is all theory all the time. The Socratic method is used every day and in every class with the usual mixed results. The workload is heavy for those few who choose to do it.

Cost of living in the surrounding community is unreasonable high. Security is a constant concern both on campus and off. The neighborhood lacks charm.

Date: 2010

Class is primarily theoretical; if you can get into one of the practical clinics, it will change your entire view of the school. I would love a study-abroad program but U of C is really hung up on their faculty (even though they all seem to be leaving).

Comments

The financial aid opportunities are not great; I don't recall any particularly odd essay questions but the LSAT score is very high. They should really implement an interview process to cut down on some of the least socially adapted students.

Date: 2010

Comments

LSAT and GPA are key.

Date: 2010

Class sizes are relatively small which means that sometimes there are not enough courses offered and a really popular one can get crowded easily. But on the other hand you can always get whatever class you want it just might be in a larger room. The small seminar classes with prominent faculty are outstanding and sometimes as small as ten students to a professor. The faculty are some of the most brilliant in their field and are truly challenging and inspiring. The legal writing course is pretty terrible, but I don't know of any law school who has a good one. There is no study abroad which is unfortunate. There are many many research opportunities because of the student faculty ratio. I find the competitiveness is very low, because you know all of your fellow students so well it's hard to be competitive against anyone but yourself.

Chicago is a city and more expensive than most places, but incredibly cheap compared to cities of it's size (LA, NY, Boston, Miami). The campus is very beautiful but it is kind of removed from the rest of the city in Hyde Park which is both good and bad. The law building is very nice with lockers and a small cafe inside. The library is fantastic with computers and wireless throughout. Crime does happen around the neighborhood, but I have never had a problem (knock on wood) and I walk around at night without a problem but I do carry MACE just in case. If you are not lazy like me there are also Safe Ride buses you can call or police umbrella services available 24 hours. The neighborhood of the law school is definitely lacking but it only takes a 20 min bus to get to the heart of downtown Chicago, and the public transportation here is phenomenal. I think it is a very, very happy place to be even with the cold :)

Comments

LSAT and essays are very important. I think there was one optional essay. The scholarship and financial aid is sparse, but the school has one of the best loan forgiveness programs for those that are public interest bound ($10,000 forgiven per year worked in the public interest sector!) and other students can count on generous firm salaries to pay back loans quickly.

Date: 2010

Excellent professors who actually know how to teach, and easy to get to know. Course sizes are larger than I was used to coming from a liberal arts college, but still quite manageable (and shrink considerably after 1L year). As an aspiring academic, I've had a ton of research opportunities, including RA work for two professors and two workshops taken for credit. The work is hard, but fair, and people are always willing to help each other out.

Cost of living is good. Hyde Park is definitively not good. Such are the trade offs of life.

Comments

I don't recall anything special about it in addition to the standard LSDAS material.

Date: 2010

Classes are great! Professors are interested in the material and often present novel ideas. Professors use the socratic often as a conversation facilitator, rarely as a punishment or shaming device. There's a heavy dose of theory but that's to be expected at the school that founded law and economics.

Hyde Park gets a bad rap. Crime exists but is uncommon. The community also has several nice restaurants for students trying to eat on the cheap.