2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

First-year classes are difficult. After that, though, there is no core: you really only need to fulfill a couple of requirements to graduate (substantive writing projects, a professional skills course, a class on legal ethics). Even those are categorical, though; there's no requirement to take a particular class.
Seminars are by and large great. Who is teaching and that person's teaching style can have a huge impact on whether a class is a total dud, though.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Absolutely more socratic method at U Chicago than at any other school. Our academics are much more rigorous than at other top-ten schools. Grading is on a steep curve.

Great facilities, bad neighborhood, high stress.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Quality of classes is very high - the teachers are nationally recognized experts in their field. Classes are more theory based than practical study, but there are practitioners who come in to provide a more practical angle.
The law and economics program is superb. The school gives money to fund the workshop, and speakers are regularly brought in.
Class size is small and the general sense is that everyone coming out of Chicago will have ample opportunity, so there is no real sense of competitiveness.
There are plenty of research opportunities for anyone who wants them, as the faculty are very productive and constantly working on something.
No study abroad or chance to go to another school - it happens but is rare and the school protects its reputation by making it hard to visit at another school.

Cost of living is low especially if you live in hyde park. The campus is beautiful although we are not near the main campus. The law school building itself has a very distinctive style, and the recent construction has really improved the interior and exterior of the building.
The library is spacious and has plenty of resources. The computer labs is small but there are computer scattered throughout the building. The moot courtroom is beautiful and has plenty of capacity, and has been attended by some of the leading jurists.
Dining used to be not that great with only the Plum Cafe, but a dining facility has recently been constructed next to the law school which is great.
The neighborhood and crime in the surrounding area are not great. The general feeling is that the area is not safe, but the school and broader university have taken large strides to making the campus safer.
Overall happiness is very high.

General essays, LSAT, some students are interviewed

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The faculty uses a mixed style for academics.

The quality of life is solid overall.

LSAT, GPA, and Essay through the standard LSAC process.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Though I can't speak to the quality of teaching at any other law school, I have found the quality at U of C to be truly exceptional. I was initially skeptical about the law school's claim that the professor are truly interested in teaching- since it's a claim that any law school can make costlessly-but in this case they were right. The "worst" professors I've had have still been decent-perhaps dry, but never unpleasant. The best professors I've had have been engaging, friendly and usually leaders in their field. Professor Baird probably stands out as the prototypical excellent instructor and scholar and I've availed myself of his classes at every opportunity.

Chicago is ridiculously cheap for a top rate city. Coming from New York, I was shocked to see rent at about half what you'd pay in New York for comparable properties. Hyde Park is nice and has all the amenities you need for the first year of law school. Where it falls short (nightlife, restaurants...etc), you can simply hop on the bus or train to downtown.

Nothing particularly unique about the admissions process. They have merit scholarships, though.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Quality of Classes: outstanding - professors are excellent, masters of the Socratic method, and easy to approach outside of class
Quality of Classmates: great - hardworking and ambitious but not competitive (e.g. my friends have no problems sharing notes)
Notable Faculty: Epstein, Nussbaum, Strauss, Levmore, Helmholtz, etc. Need I say more?

The neighborhood where the school is located (Hyde Park) is somewhat boring, and not the safest place at night (but safer than people imagine). However, downtown Chicago is a 15 minute public transportation commute, and is one of the greatest cities in the country.

Application through the LSAC, fairly standard, with personal statement, recommendations, and a list of extracurriculars.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

I think our law school is one of the very best, if not the best, in terms of classroom learning. Our professors really are very amazing. The one drawback is that there is no study abroad opportunities.

The cost is much better than NYC and California, by a long shot. Hyde Park is basically safe if you take care of yourself, but it can get dicey late at night, especially south of 60th street. A lot of people complain about lack of restaurants, but I've found that there are plenty in Hyde Park, and it's really easy to get downtown or up North where there are a bunch more. I've enjoyed living here.

It's the same basic process as all other schools, but we also have a binding early-admission program.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

very competitive, not remotely practical for real world lawyering, dog**** curve that hurts far more than it helps.

very standard process. got a decent scholarship off the waitlist.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The professors are amazingly accessible and well-versed in their fields, with a good selection of small seminars and interesting fields alongside the core classes. Even large classes are taught by the more renowned faculty. Classes tend to be very Socratic, though not mean-spirited. Competitiveness is low, mainly because nobody really knows what anyone else's grades are, so it's hard to tell where exactly you might be in the class.

The campus is beautiful, and very accessible from the law school. Cost of living in Hyde Park is reasonable and lower than most other places in Chicago. Dining options have improved since the new campus dining hall was installed right behind the law school, and it's become a semi-regular place to eat for both students and faculty. Crime is not as big a problem as it's made out to be; though going too far south of campus can be worrisome, there's not much reason to go there either.

I was waitlisted, and was offered the opportunity to submit an additional essay or additional recommendation letter after I was advised of my waitlist status.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The focus on law and economics is unique and exciting! Being the home of Richard Posner certainly helps.
My class is particularly competitive, probably because of the current state of the legal market and worries about finding summer jobs.
I haven't found the socratic method to be terribly intimidating or overwhelming. I prefer it to listening to people who raise their hands all the time.

Cost of living is fantastically low, especially compared to the East coast schools in New York and Washington. We live like kings for less than students at NYU live like paupers.
Hyde park has a reputation, but it is not like the rest of the south side, as far as safety goes. I have no problems walking around alone at night here. I feel very safe.
The campus is absolutely beautiful. It's like a little oasis in the middle of the city. Gothic architecture everywhere. It's incredible.