The Law School
University of Chicago

4.5 of 5 stars Average Student Rating (of 65 Student Reviews)

Submit a School Review

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The professors are amazingly accessible and well-versed in their fields, with a good selection of small seminars and interesting fields alongside the core classes. Even large classes are taught by the more renowned faculty. Classes tend to be very Socratic, though not mean-spirited. Competitiveness is low, mainly because nobody really knows what anyone else's grades are, so it's hard to tell where exactly you might be in the class.

The campus is beautiful, and very accessible from the law school. Cost of living in Hyde Park is reasonable and lower than most other places in Chicago. Dining options have improved since the new campus dining hall was installed right behind the law school, and it's become a semi-regular place to eat for both students and faculty. Crime is not as big a problem as it's made out to be; though going too far south of campus can be worrisome, there's not much reason to go there either.

I was waitlisted, and was offered the opportunity to submit an additional essay or additional recommendation letter after I was advised of my waitlist status.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Personal statement and letters of recomendation sent to the Dean of Foreign Students.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The professors are top of the line. They're very devoted to out-of-class discussions. They also make class more interesting by incorporating their own scholarship into the text book's cases.

Hyde Park is beautiful and has a great cultural and academic feel to it. However, it has its limits due to the fact that it's primarily a campus town at the edge of Chicago. The law school's building is great and everything feels brand new.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Nearly all of my professors 1L year are better than ANY of the teachers I had during my undergrad years at [fancy Ivy League institution]. No joke. Grading is harsh, classes are tough, and, like, um, you learn a lot.

U of C puts lots of students on "hold" and often requires held students to write an additional essay in order to gauge their interest in the school. This is generally seen as a "yield protection" scheme; since there are so few slots available, U of C has to be sure it admits students who demonstrate a high likelihood of actually attending (since matriculation rate affects the USNWR rankings). For what it's worth, after being waitlisted (after being "held" -- the process was excruciating), I wrote a letter specifically detailing my reasons for wanting to attend. I was accepted virtually the next day!

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The faculty uses a mixed style for academics.

The quality of life is solid overall.

LSAT, GPA, and Essay through the standard LSAC process.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Quality of Classes: outstanding - professors are excellent, masters of the Socratic method, and easy to approach outside of class
Quality of Classmates: great - hardworking and ambitious but not competitive (e.g. my friends have no problems sharing notes)
Notable Faculty: Epstein, Nussbaum, Strauss, Levmore, Helmholtz, etc. Need I say more?

The neighborhood where the school is located (Hyde Park) is somewhat boring, and not the safest place at night (but safer than people imagine). However, downtown Chicago is a 15 minute public transportation commute, and is one of the greatest cities in the country.

Application through the LSAC, fairly standard, with personal statement, recommendations, and a list of extracurriculars.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

I came to U of C for the professors and I have never regretted that decision. Every day I am blown away by how brilliant and accessible the faculty are. I have been taught by 7th Circuit Judges, Supreme Court nominees, former Supreme Court clerks, etc. and they are not just brilliant, but also wonderful professors. The faculty are also amazingly accessible. If you sit in the Green Lounge for about 30 minutes, you are guaranteed to have at least one professor come up and sit next to you just to ask you what you think about the school. The professors are as interested in what we have to say as we are in what they have to say. I have been to several professors home and interacted with may outside of the classroom. We have monthly Greenberg seminars where small groups of students go to a professor's house to talk about more informal legal topics (i.e. Mob crime or Wine and the law).

Chicago is an awesome city. I had never lived here before and was very East-coast centric. I have completely fallen in love with the city and will be staying here after graduation. It's a fraction the price of the coastal cities but with all the same amenities. Unfortunately Hyde Park sucks. It's not as dangerous as people make it out to be but it is spectacularly boring and isolated. There isn't even a movie theater, let alone decent bars or shops. Most students move "up north" and commute to school because HP sucks so much. This makes the social life a little fractured since people are all over the city, but we have weekly bar review and lots of house parties to bring people together. It also makes it much easier for us to enjoy the city by going out to dinner, comedy shows, movies or doing thing like having a BBW on the lakefront, going to the beach, or seeing a Cubs game at Wrigley.

LSAT, Essay, Phone Interview

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

I really enjoy the academics at Chicago. The classes, which are mostly run with the traditional Socratic method, are generally engaging, with faculty members that are accessible. The classes do spend a lot of time on law & econ methods.

Rent is a lot cheaper than where I was living before. While Hyde Park isn't great (though it does have more to offer than I thought it would), I really like the law school itself. The design of the school, especially the library, really facilitates interactions with the faculty and other students.

LSAT with a fairly standard application.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Lots of Socratic method, very theory-based, very intensive. UChicago is intellectually rigorous, don't come here if you're just looking for a degree.

I don't live on campus, I live farther north & my COL is pretty low for Chicago. The UChicago campus is just beautiful, and right by the lake. However, if you do live on campus it's easy to feel cut-off from the rest of Chicago because Hyde Park is so far south, and transportation to & from is not spectacular. The Chicago library is fantastic. Very quiet, wireless internet everywhere, and you can usually always find a place to study. The law school's "cafeteria" is pathetic but there are other, better options within walking distance. The campus is in Hyde Park, in the city of Chicago so crime is sometimes an issue, but it is certainly safe during the day & at night so long as you take the proper precautions.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Standard application with one essay, LSAT, gpa.