The Law School
University of Chicago

4.5 of 5 stars Average Student Rating (of 65 Student Reviews)

Submit a School Review

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

First-year classes are difficult. After that, though, there is no core: you really only need to fulfill a couple of requirements to graduate (substantive writing projects, a professional skills course, a class on legal ethics). Even those are categorical, though; there's no requirement to take a particular class.
Seminars are by and large great. Who is teaching and that person's teaching style can have a huge impact on whether a class is a total dud, though.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

There is a great mix of theoretical and practical opportunities here, and each professor has an idiosyncratic teaching style with different advantages. Taking classes with a variety of the excellent faculty here is recommended.
A new rule limiting the number of seminars which you can take in a quarter (without permission) has resulted in lotteries for non-seminar classes; when a class is only offered once a year, it can be frustrating to get booted from it.

While the academics at the school will have you thinking years ahead of your peers, the IT department will send you back to the Stone Age. It's not even safe to assume you'll have internet access on campus (even outside of classrooms).
The policy of turning off internet in the classrooms (even though the intranet is available) has not only impacted the quality of the internet elsewhere in the building (where it is often nonexistent), but is demeaning. The administration's ears have been deaf to virtually universal student dissent.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Absolutely more socratic method at U Chicago than at any other school. Our academics are much more rigorous than at other top-ten schools. Grading is on a steep curve.

Great facilities, bad neighborhood, high stress.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Excellent professors who actually know how to teach, and easy to get to know. Course sizes are larger than I was used to coming from a liberal arts college, but still quite manageable (and shrink considerably after 1L year). As an aspiring academic, I've had a ton of research opportunities, including RA work for two professors and two workshops taken for credit. The work is hard, but fair, and people are always willing to help each other out.

Cost of living is good. Hyde Park is definitively not good. Such are the trade offs of life.

I don't recall anything special about it in addition to the standard LSDAS material.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Socratic method is used in most classes. Students are not competitive and don't share their grades. The faculty is very rigorous and respected by students.

Hyde Park isn't the best neighborhood and can be dangerous. Nevertheless, my class is quite sociable and I'm always able to make time for fun.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Heavy on the socratic method. Real grading - i.e. gradation between and amongst students. 1L classes are about 90 in size. The faculty are outstanding. The approach is probably theoretical leaning.

Only Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Stanford,NYU and arguably Penn and Berkeley are more difficult to get into. You need excellent LSAT scores and very good grades.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The professors are amazing.Not only are they brilliant nationally recognized scholars in their respective fields, but they care about teaching, their students and making class an interesting and exciting experience.
We use the Socratic method at University of Chicago, but almost every teacher encourages you to email when you did not get a chance to do the reading.
The students are not ultra competitive, and most people do not talk about grades.
With less than 200 people in your graduating class, the school feels intimate and friendly. You know everyone, and that's a good thing.
The grading scale takes some getting used to-- but I think the fact that we still have grades bodes well for employment prospects. I had an easier time getting my 2L summer job than friends at "better" schools who had nothing to set them apart from each other other than pass and high pass.

Our law school is newly renovated (and despite its appearance from the outside) is wonderful.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Exceptional quality classes. The material leans away from the practical and towards the more "academic," which I love. Socratic method is more heavy 1L year, then classes become more lecture/discussion based. Not very competitive, but people take their work seriously. Exceptional faculty that are very committed to teaching. Lots of research and writing opportunities.

Cost of living is reasonable. Campus is nice, but in an out of the way and inconvenient location. Library, labs, classrooms etc are fantastic. Dining in Hyde Park is miserable, but I live out of the neighborhood and rarely eat near school. Crime is a bit of a problem, overall happiness is pretty high.

Essay, LSAT, Grades, Recs, etc. Same as any top tier law school.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Quality of classes is very high - the teachers are nationally recognized experts in their field. Classes are more theory based than practical study, but there are practitioners who come in to provide a more practical angle.
The law and economics program is superb. The school gives money to fund the workshop, and speakers are regularly brought in.
Class size is small and the general sense is that everyone coming out of Chicago will have ample opportunity, so there is no real sense of competitiveness.
There are plenty of research opportunities for anyone who wants them, as the faculty are very productive and constantly working on something.
No study abroad or chance to go to another school - it happens but is rare and the school protects its reputation by making it hard to visit at another school.

Cost of living is low especially if you live in hyde park. The campus is beautiful although we are not near the main campus. The law school building itself has a very distinctive style, and the recent construction has really improved the interior and exterior of the building.
The library is spacious and has plenty of resources. The computer labs is small but there are computer scattered throughout the building. The moot courtroom is beautiful and has plenty of capacity, and has been attended by some of the leading jurists.
Dining used to be not that great with only the Plum Cafe, but a dining facility has recently been constructed next to the law school which is great.
The neighborhood and crime in the surrounding area are not great. The general feeling is that the area is not safe, but the school and broader university have taken large strides to making the campus safer.
Overall happiness is very high.

General essays, LSAT, some students are interviewed

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

very competitive, not remotely practical for real world lawyering, dog**** curve that hurts far more than it helps.

very standard process. got a decent scholarship off the waitlist.