The Law School
University of Chicago

4.5 of 5 stars Overall Student Rating (65 Student Reviews)

0 (1)

Date: 2010

Individually, most students are laid back and cooperative with discussion and ideas, but in class, the high admittance standars show with prepared students and exceptional answers. The quality of the student body, however, pales in comparison to the brillance of the faculty, which is filled with up and coming academic elite as well as old-school law and econ notables. Every professor enjoys teaching and approaches it with a sense of humor.

Date: 2010

Great faculty, small classes, except for core 2L subjects (Corporations, antitrust), should offer multiple sections of those classes.

Comments

Pretty quick, seemed to be all LSAT/GPA. Admissions office was good in making contact though.

Date: 2010

Socratic method is used in most classes. Students are not competitive and don't share their grades. The faculty is very rigorous and respected by students.

Hyde Park isn't the best neighborhood and can be dangerous. Nevertheless, my class is quite sociable and I'm always able to make time for fun.

Date: 2010

There is a great mix of theoretical and practical opportunities here, and each professor has an idiosyncratic teaching style with different advantages. Taking classes with a variety of the excellent faculty here is recommended. A new rule limiting the number of seminars which you can take in a quarter (without permission) has resulted in lotteries for non-seminar classes; when a class is only offered once a year, it can be frustrating to get booted from it.

While the academics at the school will have you thinking years ahead of your peers, the IT department will send you back to the Stone Age. It's not even safe to assume you'll have internet access on campus (even outside of classrooms). The policy of turning off internet in the classrooms (even though the intranet is available) has not only impacted the quality of the internet elsewhere in the building (where it is often nonexistent), but is demeaning. The administration's ears have been deaf to virtually universal student dissent.

Date: 2010

Heavy emphasis on theory. Exceptionally brilliant professors. As a transfer student, I can attest that the students here are as smart as the professors at my old school, and the professors are impressive.

Comments

Very high lsats required, even for minority students and other special admits.

I found this review helpful (2 others have found this review helpful)

Date: 2010

The professors are amazing.Not only are they brilliant nationally recognized scholars in their respective fields, but they care about teaching, their students and making class an interesting and exciting experience. We use the Socratic method at University of Chicago, but almost every teacher encourages you to email when you did not get a chance to do the reading. The students are not ultra competitive, and most people do not talk about grades. With less than 200 people in your graduating class, the school feels intimate and friendly. You know everyone, and that's a good thing. The grading scale takes some getting used to-- but I think the fact that we still have grades bodes well for employment prospects. I had an easier time getting my 2L summer job than friends at "better" schools who had nothing to set them apart from each other other than pass and high pass.

Our law school is newly renovated (and despite its appearance from the outside) is wonderful.

Date: 2010

Excellent classes, rigorous compared to most other institutions, Socratic method used in all 1L classes but not as much the 2nd and 3rd year, class sizes are small, large number of distinguished professors

Cost of living is high, getting to campus is fairly easy with the school's transportation system, facilities are leading edge and accessible, library is great, crime and safety may be the only negative

Date: 2010

Students are competitive with themselves, but collegial with each other. Grades are not discussed to ensure this collegial environment. There is a focus on economics and theory, but we are all aware that we are also somewhat interested in practical learning. Grading is done on a curve. The class size is small, which is a huge advantage for job prospects, getting to know the faculty, and getting the full experience. Notable faculty include Baird, Geoffrey Stone, Nussbaum, Epstein, etc. Work load is no worse than other top ten schools, although we have a reputation for being more rigorous (which is great for employment prospects).

Many housing opportunities available, safe neighborhood plenty of police around.

Comments

Typical LSDAS application, no extra questions. Limited personal statement.

Date: 2010

heavy socratic method, small class sizes, high competitiveness, especially since grades are based on a numerical point method, not much chance to study abroad during the regular school year, but summers can be spent in law firms abroad.

neighborhood can be unsafe in the evening.

Comments

LSAT, GPA, relatively generic application question, focus on trying to attract a diverse student body.

Date: 2010

Socratic method in most classes. I have a workshop on judicial behavior tought by Judge Posner. Judge Easterbrook has attended every class just because he is interested in the subject. It is amazing.

The facilities are excellent.

Comments

I applied as a transfer. U of C is one of the few schools that allows for an early transfer application (after 1st semester of IL year).