2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Some of the finest legal scholars in the world engage students with a good balance of theory and practice. Socratic method is the norm for first-year classes. The class size is on the smaller side, though first-year courses are, of course, quite large (about 90-100 students). The caliber of students is high, but the competitiveness inherent in a challenging system doesn't bar collaboration and socializing between the students. The faculty is unparalleled, and the opportunities are endless. The only thing lacking is time enough to take advantage of them all.

The neighborhood isn't great, but campus is nice. Interesting architecture, great libraries and facilities, wonderful gym, plenty of relatively affordable housing. Can't find a good burger of fries within 10 miles, but there are lots of hair salons. Crime and overall safety haven't been as bad as I expected, but the surrounding neighborhoods are rather notorious.

Pretty standard admissions process, except that it occurs on a later schedule than the other law schools.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Exceptional quality classes. The material leans away from the practical and towards the more "academic," which I love. Socratic method is more heavy 1L year, then classes become more lecture/discussion based. Not very competitive, but people take their work seriously. Exceptional faculty that are very committed to teaching. Lots of research and writing opportunities.

Cost of living is reasonable. Campus is nice, but in an out of the way and inconvenient location. Library, labs, classrooms etc are fantastic. Dining in Hyde Park is miserable, but I live out of the neighborhood and rarely eat near school. Crime is a bit of a problem, overall happiness is pretty high.

Essay, LSAT, Grades, Recs, etc. Same as any top tier law school.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Great faculty, small classes, except for core 2L subjects (Corporations, antitrust), should offer multiple sections of those classes.

Pretty quick, seemed to be all LSAT/GPA. Admissions office was good in making contact though.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Socratic method is used in most classes. Students are not competitive and don't share their grades. The faculty is very rigorous and respected by students.

Hyde Park isn't the best neighborhood and can be dangerous. Nevertheless, my class is quite sociable and I'm always able to make time for fun.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

There is a great mix of theoretical and practical opportunities here, and each professor has an idiosyncratic teaching style with different advantages. Taking classes with a variety of the excellent faculty here is recommended.
A new rule limiting the number of seminars which you can take in a quarter (without permission) has resulted in lotteries for non-seminar classes; when a class is only offered once a year, it can be frustrating to get booted from it.

While the academics at the school will have you thinking years ahead of your peers, the IT department will send you back to the Stone Age. It's not even safe to assume you'll have internet access on campus (even outside of classrooms).
The policy of turning off internet in the classrooms (even though the intranet is available) has not only impacted the quality of the internet elsewhere in the building (where it is often nonexistent), but is demeaning. The administration's ears have been deaf to virtually universal student dissent.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

I came to U of C for the professors and I have never regretted that decision. Every day I am blown away by how brilliant and accessible the faculty are. I have been taught by 7th Circuit Judges, Supreme Court nominees, former Supreme Court clerks, etc. and they are not just brilliant, but also wonderful professors. The faculty are also amazingly accessible. If you sit in the Green Lounge for about 30 minutes, you are guaranteed to have at least one professor come up and sit next to you just to ask you what you think about the school. The professors are as interested in what we have to say as we are in what they have to say. I have been to several professors home and interacted with may outside of the classroom. We have monthly Greenberg seminars where small groups of students go to a professor's house to talk about more informal legal topics (i.e. Mob crime or Wine and the law).

Chicago is an awesome city. I had never lived here before and was very East-coast centric. I have completely fallen in love with the city and will be staying here after graduation. It's a fraction the price of the coastal cities but with all the same amenities. Unfortunately Hyde Park sucks. It's not as dangerous as people make it out to be but it is spectacularly boring and isolated. There isn't even a movie theater, let alone decent bars or shops. Most students move "up north" and commute to school because HP sucks so much. This makes the social life a little fractured since people are all over the city, but we have weekly bar review and lots of house parties to bring people together. It also makes it much easier for us to enjoy the city by going out to dinner, comedy shows, movies or doing thing like having a BBW on the lakefront, going to the beach, or seeing a Cubs game at Wrigley.

LSAT, Essay, Phone Interview

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The classes are wonderful. There is a good mix between theoretical and practical courses. The seminars are small. The school is not as competitive as one might think because everyone is confident that they will land a great job.

The facilties are state-of-the-art

Must submit an LSAT score, essays, and transcripts through LSAC.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The professors are amazing.Not only are they brilliant nationally recognized scholars in their respective fields, but they care about teaching, their students and making class an interesting and exciting experience.
We use the Socratic method at University of Chicago, but almost every teacher encourages you to email when you did not get a chance to do the reading.
The students are not ultra competitive, and most people do not talk about grades.
With less than 200 people in your graduating class, the school feels intimate and friendly. You know everyone, and that's a good thing.
The grading scale takes some getting used to-- but I think the fact that we still have grades bodes well for employment prospects. I had an easier time getting my 2L summer job than friends at "better" schools who had nothing to set them apart from each other other than pass and high pass.

Our law school is newly renovated (and despite its appearance from the outside) is wonderful.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

very theoretical. small class size. law and economics oriented. notable faculty.

just requires a personal statement, lsat score, and application

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

UChicago is big on the Socratic method and the theory of the law. The professors are incredibly accessible-- their offices are in the library and they are constantly around for social events and lunch talks. The faculty are also incredible people-- Chicago seems to cultivate talent that other schools then try to poach-- unfortunately, sometimes successfully. But they are always replaced with emerging talent that will blow you away. The Bigelow Writing Program is a great way to have a mentor at the law school with practical experience.

The application process is pretty standard-- essays, LSATs, basic resume information. The school encourages you to apply for a merit scholarship opportunity after notice of admission.