2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

academic advisors available all the time, socratic method heavily used, classes are interactive. good balance of theory and black letter law.

every thing is cheap, and there are a ton og libraries and cafe's/

some diversity and public interest fellowships, but i idnt get them.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Score high on the LSAT and have a high GPA. Big surprise.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The quality of the classes are incredible, and the professors are giants in their fields. More importantly, however, the faculty are all inspiring and genuinely talented teachers. Almost every class uses intense socratic method, which is extremely fun!

Excellent.

Standard LSAC admissions process

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Pretty standard law school application done through LSAC

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Socratic heavy first year; After the first year, I had many small seminars

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

lots of theory - but very informative hilarious lecturers

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

The professors are excellent; they are prepared, enthusiastic, and interested.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Class sizes are relatively small which means that sometimes there are not enough courses offered and a really popular one can get crowded easily. But on the other hand you can always get whatever class you want it just might be in a larger room. The small seminar classes with prominent faculty are outstanding and sometimes as small as ten students to a professor. The faculty are some of the most brilliant in their field and are truly challenging and inspiring. The legal writing course is pretty terrible, but I don't know of any law school who has a good one. There is no study abroad which is unfortunate. There are many many research opportunities because of the student faculty ratio. I find the competitiveness is very low, because you know all of your fellow students so well it's hard to be competitive against anyone but yourself.

Chicago is a city and more expensive than most places, but incredibly cheap compared to cities of it's size (LA, NY, Boston, Miami). The campus is very beautiful but it is kind of removed from the rest of the city in Hyde Park which is both good and bad. The law building is very nice with lockers and a small cafe inside. The library is fantastic with computers and wireless throughout. Crime does happen around the neighborhood, but I have never had a problem (knock on wood) and I walk around at night without a problem but I do carry MACE just in case. If you are not lazy like me there are also Safe Ride buses you can call or police umbrella services available 24 hours. The neighborhood of the law school is definitely lacking but it only takes a 20 min bus to get to the heart of downtown Chicago, and the public transportation here is phenomenal. I think it is a very, very happy place to be even with the cold :)

LSAT and essays are very important. I think there was one optional essay. The scholarship and financial aid is sparse, but the school has one of the best loan forgiveness programs for those that are public interest bound ($10,000 forgiven per year worked in the public interest sector!) and other students can count on generous firm salaries to pay back loans quickly.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Most professors use the Socratic method.
In the second and third year there are excellent opportunities to focus on both theory and practical study. Students can get credit for clinical work and take classes from a variety of highly successful practitioners. Also, there are excellent opportunities to take highly theoretical classes and classes which largely review and focus on scholarship. It certainly helps that Chicago has such esteemed faculty members. Further, law students can take classes in any other department at the University of Chicago--many have taken classes at the business school, graduate school of economics, as well as schools like public policy and undergraduate programs.
Grading is on a scale based from 155-186. The median, for curved classes, is 177. I have found that getting away from the 4.0 scale has encourages a focus away from grades and more towards learning. Because few employers understand our grading scale, grades don't matter as much. I don't know what grades most of my colleagues, and even close friends, receive. Everyone I can think of has the job they want--whether it is a clerkship, big firm job, or public interest. As a result, there is no reason to be competitive. I find that most students are primarily competitive with themselves. Interpersonal competitiveness based on grades is not socially acceptable at Chicago. Grades are seen as superficial and really more of a tangential aspect of legal education.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Individually, most students are laid back and cooperative with discussion and ideas, but in class, the high admittance standars show with prepared students and exceptional answers. The quality of the student body, however, pales in comparison to the brillance of the faculty, which is filled with up and coming academic elite as well as old-school law and econ notables. Every professor enjoys teaching and approaches it with a sense of humor.