The Law School
University of Chicago

4.5 of 5 stars Average Student Rating (of 65 Student Reviews)

Submit a School Review

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Classes are great! Professors are interested in the material and often present novel ideas. Professors use the socratic often as a conversation facilitator, rarely as a punishment or shaming device. There's a heavy dose of theory but that's to be expected at the school that founded law and economics.

Hyde Park gets a bad rap. Crime exists but is uncommon. The community also has several nice restaurants for students trying to eat on the cheap.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Chicago is one of the few remaining law schools that does hardcore Socratic, in every single class. Most law schools have backed off or softened a little bit. Chicago is also very hardcore about grading; a strict curve, while other law schools (other T14 law schools) have been inflating and softening their grading curve. Our professors are world class, famous, brilliant, but also caring. We have amazing, prominent faculty. The class size is really small, which means a lot of attention for each individual student, and the bigelow legal research and writing program provides a lot of structure and guidance. Chicago does have a very competitive atmosphere though; students don't come here to screw around. In my class of 200, I don't know anyone who doesn't study hard every day.

Quality of life is awesome. Hyde Park is small but it's a classic college town. It's waaaaaaay safer than it was 5 years ago, and it's growing in size. It has a dozen or so restaurants, really nice cafes, and campus type hangouts (like bowling and bars). The best part is that you're 10-15 minutes downtown by public transportation and it's really convenient; downtown Chicago has everything.

Like most law school, admissions requires essays, high LSAT (people sometimes ridicule you at Chicago if you have below 170), high GPA from undergrad. You use LSDAS. They interview *some* but not all applicants, if they ask for an interview you have to give it.

Professors are fantastic

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

lots of theory - but very informative hilarious lecturers

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Socratic method in most classes. I have a workshop on judicial behavior tought by Judge Posner. Judge Easterbrook has attended every class just because he is interested in the subject. It is amazing.

The facilities are excellent.

I applied as a transfer. U of C is one of the few schools that allows for an early transfer application (after 1st semester of IL year).

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Most professors use the Socratic method.
In the second and third year there are excellent opportunities to focus on both theory and practical study. Students can get credit for clinical work and take classes from a variety of highly successful practitioners. Also, there are excellent opportunities to take highly theoretical classes and classes which largely review and focus on scholarship. It certainly helps that Chicago has such esteemed faculty members. Further, law students can take classes in any other department at the University of Chicago--many have taken classes at the business school, graduate school of economics, as well as schools like public policy and undergraduate programs.
Grading is on a scale based from 155-186. The median, for curved classes, is 177. I have found that getting away from the 4.0 scale has encourages a focus away from grades and more towards learning. Because few employers understand our grading scale, grades don't matter as much. I don't know what grades most of my colleagues, and even close friends, receive. Everyone I can think of has the job they want--whether it is a clerkship, big firm job, or public interest. As a result, there is no reason to be competitive. I find that most students are primarily competitive with themselves. Interpersonal competitiveness based on grades is not socially acceptable at Chicago. Grades are seen as superficial and really more of a tangential aspect of legal education.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Socratic heavy first year; After the first year, I had many small seminars

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Individually, most students are laid back and cooperative with discussion and ideas, but in class, the high admittance standars show with prepared students and exceptional answers. The quality of the student body, however, pales in comparison to the brillance of the faculty, which is filled with up and coming academic elite as well as old-school law and econ notables. Every professor enjoys teaching and approaches it with a sense of humor.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

Score high on the LSAT and have a high GPA. Big surprise.

2010 | VERIFIED STUDENT

UChicago is big on the Socratic method and the theory of the law. The professors are incredibly accessible-- their offices are in the library and they are constantly around for social events and lunch talks. The faculty are also incredible people-- Chicago seems to cultivate talent that other schools then try to poach-- unfortunately, sometimes successfully. But they are always replaced with emerging talent that will blow you away. The Bigelow Writing Program is a great way to have a mentor at the law school with practical experience.

The application process is pretty standard-- essays, LSATs, basic resume information. The school encourages you to apply for a merit scholarship opportunity after notice of admission.

SALARY FINDER

• 50
  • 75
  • 100
  • 100+
Yearly Salary Range (US$ Thousands)