The Law School
University of Chicago

4.5 of 5 stars Overall Student Rating (65 Student Reviews)

0 (1)

Date: 2010

The quality of the classes are incredible, and the professors are giants in their fields. More importantly, however, the faculty are all inspiring and genuinely talented teachers. Almost every class uses intense socratic method, which is extremely fun!

Excellent.

Comments

Standard LSAC admissions process

Date: 2010

Comments

Pretty standard law school application done through LSAC

Date: 2010

The focus on law and economics is unique and exciting! Being the home of Richard Posner certainly helps. My class is particularly competitive, probably because of the current state of the legal market and worries about finding summer jobs. I haven't found the socratic method to be terribly intimidating or overwhelming. I prefer it to listening to people who raise their hands all the time.

Cost of living is fantastically low, especially compared to the East coast schools in New York and Washington. We live like kings for less than students at NYU live like paupers. Hyde park has a reputation, but it is not like the rest of the south side, as far as safety goes. I have no problems walking around alone at night here. I feel very safe. The campus is absolutely beautiful. It's like a little oasis in the middle of the city. Gothic architecture everywhere. It's incredible.

Date: 2010

Heavy on the socratic method. Real grading - i.e. gradation between and amongst students. 1L classes are about 90 in size. The faculty are outstanding. The approach is probably theoretical leaning.

Comments

Only Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Stanford,NYU and arguably Penn and Berkeley are more difficult to get into. You need excellent LSAT scores and very good grades.

Date: 2010

lots of theory - but very informative hilarious lecturers

Date: 2010

The professors are top of the line. They're very devoted to out-of-class discussions. They also make class more interesting by incorporating their own scholarship into the text book's cases.

Hyde Park is beautiful and has a great cultural and academic feel to it. However, it has its limits due to the fact that it's primarily a campus town at the edge of Chicago. The law school's building is great and everything feels brand new.

Date: 2010

The professors are excellent; they are prepared, enthusiastic, and interested.

Date: 2010

I really enjoy the academics at Chicago. The classes, which are mostly run with the traditional Socratic method, are generally engaging, with faculty members that are accessible. The classes do spend a lot of time on law & econ methods.

Rent is a lot cheaper than where I was living before. While Hyde Park isn't great (though it does have more to offer than I thought it would), I really like the law school itself. The design of the school, especially the library, really facilitates interactions with the faculty and other students.

Comments

LSAT with a fairly standard application.

Date: 2010

Lots of Socratic method, very theory-based, very intensive. UChicago is intellectually rigorous, don't come here if you're just looking for a degree.

I don't live on campus, I live farther north & my COL is pretty low for Chicago. The UChicago campus is just beautiful, and right by the lake. However, if you do live on campus it's easy to feel cut-off from the rest of Chicago because Hyde Park is so far south, and transportation to & from is not spectacular. The Chicago library is fantastic. Very quiet, wireless internet everywhere, and you can usually always find a place to study. The law school's "cafeteria" is pathetic but there are other, better options within walking distance. The campus is in Hyde Park, in the city of Chicago so crime is sometimes an issue, but it is certainly safe during the day & at night so long as you take the proper precautions.

I found this review helpful (1 others have found this review helpful)

Date: 2010

Nearly all of my professors 1L year are better than ANY of the teachers I had during my undergrad years at [fancy Ivy League institution]. No joke. Grading is harsh, classes are tough, and, like, um, you learn a lot.

Comments

U of C puts lots of students on "hold" and often requires held students to write an additional essay in order to gauge their interest in the school. This is generally seen as a "yield protection" scheme; since there are so few slots available, U of C has to be sure it admits students who demonstrate a high likelihood of actually attending (since matriculation rate affects the USNWR rankings). For what it's worth, after being waitlisted (after being "held" -- the process was excruciating), I wrote a letter specifically detailing my reasons for wanting to attend. I was accepted virtually the next day!